Power Supply Positions to Solve SATA Port Clearance

LNH

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
May 23, 2020
I'm doing my first NCASE M1 build using the ASRock B550ax ITX motherboard (arriving this coming Monday). One of the unfortunate design decisions by ASRock was to implement right angle SATA ports on the very edge of the board. From what I can tell having installed the power supply in the normal spot is there will be no clearance between the SATA ports and the side of the power supply. I know you can just move the power supply bracket so it's supported from the front (see picture), but more ideal would be some method to mount the power supply in the normal orientation, but spaced away from the side of the case by about 1 inch so SATA ports would be clear. This seems like a custom job as just getting long screws and spacers would be a mechanical disaster. Anyone have other ideas? I was hoping to use the disk drive area which gets eliminated if you mount the PS as pictured.

LNH

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
May 23, 2020
Since you haven't received the mobo yet, why not just return it and buy a better suited mobo? It just doesn't seem worth it to lose this kind of flexibility, especially in an ITX build.
That would be an option as ASRock is the only B550 ITX motherboard which is doing the right angle SATA ports. However, there aren't many choices for B550 and others have attributes which aren't as favorable in other respects (e.g. Gigabyte not having a port for front USB C, and the list goes on with some of the other boards). Part of the issue is my desire for as many rear USB ports as possible. My current 7 year old Asus ITX has 10 rear USB ports, and I'm using all of them (2 scanners, external audio DAC, KB, Mouse, photo printer, label printer, monitor, hub...). The ASRock comes closest with 6 rear USB ports and still has the front connector for USB C. I know a hub will be needed to get the connectivity I want anyways, but having as many cables terminate in the computer helps keep things more clean. If I could, I'd buy a motherboard with lots of USB without integrated sound or WiFi, however I don't think they exist in ITX format (or maybe any format).