x299e + 1080 mini + s4m + ATX power supply

Elerek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 17, 2017
You're talking about this?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076PZ6PRK/?tag=theminutiae-20

You pull the video card out and ditch the box? If it's a thunderbolt box, that might be nice for another project.

Yep!

Do you know when the HD Plex brick will be available and what it will cost?

The DC-DC and AC-DC are each marked as $98 right now on HDPlex.com
There's still no official launch date for the AC-DC, but "November" has been stated and Josh (designer of s4m) was testing a prototype on stream a few days ago and said it would take 15 days from when HDPlex got the testing results back from him and a few others till they could start shipping. So hopefully very very soon.

Gautam

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 5, 2016
I guess when you say "i9" you mean Skylake-X, not the 9900K.

The heat output and power draw of these chips is way beyond client desktop chips. Even at 100% stock my 7960X can easily draw 160W or more. OC'ed is over double that.

The prospect of an L9i trying to cope with that is honestly funny to picture.

There is no <8L case on the market that really has what it takes to run a 1080ti and a 12+ core CPU under a heavy load, let alone a 5L case like the S4 mini. The closest thing is hacking a DAN A4 to use a flex ATX PSU.

I would consider the Silverstone SG13. It fits an ATX PSU as well, and you can use an AIO cooler for the CPU, and it's cheap and easy to find. Or just pick a more reasonable hardware configuration. Personally, I wouldn't run a 2700X in an S4 mini, but I'm sure many do.