x299e + 1080 mini + s4m + ATX power supply

blanning

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Nov 14, 2018
Sorry if this has been beaten to death already.

I'm planning a build with the ASRock x299e, an i7-7820x, and 1080 mini. And i want to use the S4 mini case. I'm trying to work out the power supply situation. I could go the normal DC to DC module route with a power brick assuming that has enough power. But I had another idea thinking about this last night. And maybe this is a bad idea. But I thought I'd ask anyway.

I could just use a normal ATX power supply treating it like a laptop style power brick. The downside to this is of course the cables, their length, and how they interface to the inside of the computer. The ideal arrangement for this would be to use a fully modular power supply, then make my own cables. I could bundle them all together... atx, video card, drive power, etc... into an umbilical cord using some kind of wire loom.

I could also make a mounting plate that that connects to the umbilical on the outside, and to the components on the inside. Or just pass the bundled wires through a hole in the back of the case and hook them up like extension cables.

The down side to this is that it's hackish and not an elegant solution. The up side is that I can use whatever huge ATX power supply I want. It will have a built-in fan. And (best of all for me) if the power supply fails, it will be easy for me to get a new one. I'm in South America at the moment. Getting an ATX power supply is easy. Getting a replacement power brick, or worse, DC to DC power supply, is a joke. It would be easier to fly back to the US to get the replacement. Also, one reason for the x299e is that I may want to upgrade to an i9 and a 1080 ti (or whatever) later. So this removes the need to upgrade the power later.

Is this a bad idea?

brian

Elerek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 17, 2017
How are you going to cool a 140w tdp chip in an S4M? That's a "Little Monster" indeed...
What do you use your computer for that you need the x299 platform? Because if you really need it, you probably need a chassis that can support actually cooling it. I don't even think an L9i fits on that board because of the riser boards, which means your list of coolers that will fit on that board in the S4M is basically 0.

To me an external atx psu just sounds like a bad idea when there are so many much more elegant solutions.

Last edited:

Elerek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 17, 2017
If you do go with this setup though the HDplex 400w ac-dc ~should~ be able to handle that load. If you leave everything stock you've got 320W combined cpu and gpu which leaves 80W for motherboard, storage, ram, and peripherals.

blanning

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Nov 14, 2018
How are you going to cool a 140w tdp chip in an S4M? That's a "Little Monster" indeed...
What do you use your computer for that you need the x299 platform? Because if you really need it, you probably need a chassis that can support actually cooling it. I don't even think an L9i fits on that board because of the riser boards, which means your list of coolers that will fit on that board in the S4M is basically 0.

To me an external atx psu just sounds like a bad idea when there are so many much more elegant solutions.

I'm an IT consultant so I do a lot of development work with multiple database engines and VM instances. My goal is for this machine to handle that as well as gaming.

Amazon says that the NH-L9i supports the 2066 socket. But Noctua's page doesn't list that. So it seems you're right. And that's before potential interference from the riser boards.

I was hoping to bring the entire computer home in my laptop bag rather than just the motherboard. But that's not looking like it will work.

Elerek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 17, 2017
I'm an IT consultant so I do a lot of development work with multiple database engines and VM instances. My goal is for this machine to handle that as well as gaming.

Amazon says that the NH-L9i supports the 2066 socket. But Noctua's page doesn't list that. So it seems you're right. And that's before potential interference from the riser boards.

I was hoping to bring the entire computer home in my laptop bag rather than just the motherboard. But that's not looking like it will work.

Are you sure you can't just use a ryzen 2700?

Elerek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 17, 2017
A ryzen 2700x has the same core count and clock speeds as the i7-7820x but is way less power hungry and won't eat your wallet (cpu and motherboard will be cheaper). That extra money could go towards a 1080ti immediately and the am4 socket should be good for several more rzyen generations, so your motherboard should be relatively future proof.

Last edited:

blanning

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Nov 14, 2018
A ryzen 2700x has the same core count and clock speeds as the i7-7820x but is way less power hungry and won't eat your wallet (cpu and motherboard will be cheaper). That extra money could go towards a 1080ti immediately and the am4 socket should be good for several more rzyen generations, so your motherboard should be relatively future proof.

I was hoping to have an upgrade path to an i9. But you're right. A 2700x is probably enough. And by the time I want to upgrade to an i9, I'll probably just buy a new motherboard anyway. Which fan do you think is a good match for the 2700x in an S4M?

Elerek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 17, 2017
I was hoping to have an upgrade path to an i9. But you're right. A 2700x is probably enough. And by the time I want to upgrade to an i9, I'll probably just buy a new motherboard anyway. Which fan do you think is a good match for the 2700x in an S4M?

You'd probably have to get a new motherboard anyway with the rate Intel changes their sockets...

blanning

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Nov 14, 2018
ok, so with one of the b450 motherboards (is this the best/latest chipset?), the zotac 1080 mini, and m.2 and two ssd/sata hard drives, what's the best dc to dc power supply and power brick?

Nightblade

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 29, 2017

I'm planning a build with the ASRock x299e, an i7-7820x, and 1080 mini. And i want to use the S4 mini case. I'm trying to work out the power supply situation. I could go the normal DC to DC module route with a power brick assuming that has enough power. But I had another idea thinking about this last night. And maybe this is a bad idea. But I thought I'd ask anyway.

I could just use a normal ATX power supply treating it like a laptop style power brick. The downside to this is of course the cables, their length, and how they interface to the inside of the computer. The ideal arrangement for this would be to use a fully modular power supply, then make my own cables. I could bundle them all together... atx, video card, drive power, etc... into an umbilical cord using some kind of wire loom.

I could also make a mounting plate that that connects to the umbilical on the outside, and to the components on the inside. Or just pass the bundled wires through a hole in the back of the case and hook them up like extension cables.

The down side to this is that it's hackish and not an elegant solution. The up side is that I can use whatever huge ATX power supply I want. It will have a built-in fan. And (best of all for me) if the power supply fails, it will be easy for me to get a new one. I'm in South America at the moment. Getting an ATX power supply is easy. Getting a replacement power brick, or worse, DC to DC power supply, is a joke. It would be easier to fly back to the US to get the replacement. Also, one reason for the x299e is that I may want to upgrade to an i9 and a 1080 ti (or whatever) later. So this removes the need to upgrade the power later.

Is this a bad idea?

brian

Yeah, its a bad idea. I've already explained this on the S4M main thread, but I'll explain again. Having an ATX internal power supply as a permanent solution outside of your case is a fire hazard and there is risk of electric shock. You can also damage hardware inside your case if that atx power supply were to ever fall off the desk, because its heavy enough to take the S4M with it. Not to mention, it looks bad dangling there with loads of wires shoved in the back. Do yourself a favor, spend the money for a DC/DC and power brick, or go a brickless solution that works with a DC/DC. @Josh | NFC just reviewed the 400w internal brick that fits in the S4M, that might be viable if you can fit it. Plus, it looks like it can be made to be used externally, with some modification.

blanning

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Nov 14, 2018
Yeah, its a bad idea. I've already explained this on the S4M main thread, but I'll explain again. Having an ATX internal power supply as a permanent solution outside of your case is a fire hazard and there is risk of electric shock. You can also damage hardware inside your case if that atx power supply were to ever fall off the desk, because its heavy enough to take the S4M with it. Not to mention, it looks bad dangling there with loads of wires shoved in the back. Do yourself a favor, spend the money for a DC/DC and power brick, or go a brickless solution that works with a DC/DC. @Josh | NFC just reviewed the 400w internal brick that fits in the S4M, that might be viable if you can fit it. Plus, it looks like it can be made to be used externally, with some modification.

Yeah, I'm abandoning the whole idea in favor of a different motherboard/cpu with lower power requirements.

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017

Is this a bad idea?

brian

respectfully, your plan doesn't make a lot of sense.

just use an i9-9900K processor instead.

then Josh NFC can help you, for a build fee, get a 400W AC Adapter for your chassis, & cut your temperatures even further.

Last edited:

Elerek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 17, 2017
ok, so with one of the b450 motherboards (is this the best/latest chipset?), the zotac 1080 mini, and m.2 and two ssd/sata hard drives, what's the best dc to dc power supply and power brick?

I'm using a Gunique PSU, but those are custom made by Gary and take a while, I'd go with the HDPlex 400 ac-dc (should be out by end of month?) and the hdplex 400 dc-dc. You could go with a dell 330W or the hp omen brick, but I think waiting for the HDPlex is probably worth it for the smaller size and higher wattage.

Also, it looks like the only board with 2 m.2 slots is the Asus rog strix board (x470 or b450), but the Asrock boards have better power delivery.

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
2700X+ 1080 Mini+ a decent B450 motherboard (x470 is excessive)+ power supply.

Elerek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 17, 2017
For the GPU if you're going with a 1080, the gigabyte one is better than the zotac, and if you can find a good deal on the auros egpu 1080 box, that model has no plastic shroud and a 130mm fan. It's the best cooling 1080 mini by far. (source: I have one and it's dead silent and never gets hot)

blanning

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Nov 14, 2018
For the GPU if you're going with a 1080, the gigabyte one is better than the zotac, and if you can find a good deal on the auros egpu 1080 box, that model has no plastic shroud and a 130mm fan. It's the best cooling 1080 mini by far. (source: I have one and it's dead silent and never gets hot)

You're talking about this?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076PZ6PRK/?tag=theminutiae-20

You pull the video card out and ditch the box? If it's a thunderbolt box, that might be nice for another project.

blanning

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Nov 14, 2018
I'm using a Gunique PSU, but those are custom made by Gary and take a while, I'd go with the HDPlex 400 ac-dc (should be out by end of month?) and the hdplex 400 dc-dc. You could go with a dell 330W or the hp omen brick, but I think waiting for the HDPlex is probably worth it for the smaller size and higher wattage.

Also, it looks like the only board with 2 m.2 slots is the Asus rog strix board (x470 or b450), but the Asrock boards have better power delivery.

Do you know when the HD Plex brick will be available and what it will cost?