Ncase 5900x@eco NH-U9S single core temperature problems

Bullz

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Apr 30, 2018
Hi,

Have the pc mentioned below. At Cinebench R23 I have very good temperatures but as soon as a game or Windows demands full performance on 1,2 cores the temperatures rise significantly.

Have Elden Ring in background now and at 83 degrees at RPM 1515 ( see picture ).

Can I improve the temperatures by switching the fans from intake to exhaust ?
Fan:
2 Intake 9 cm Noctua fans on the heatsink of the CPU cooler ( costum fan curve ).
1 Intake 12cm Noctua at the side panel @ 800 rpm ( over 1000 rpm loud )
1 Intake power supply
( all serves the positive pressure principle what i read )

and what can I do in general to get better temps without buying a new cooler ?

foto:

My Pc
Power supply: Corsair SF750
GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 12GB
SSD: XPG ASX8200PNP-2TT-C SX8200 PRO 2 TB
Mainboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS Pro AX ( latest BIOS )
Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S
Ram: 2xCrucial Ballistix BL2K16G36C16U4R 3600 MHz, DDR4, DRAM
CPU: 5900x eco @65 Watt
Case:ncase m1 v6.1
Windows 11

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I would try and switch the fan on the bracket to exhaust, half the battle in a SFF case is removing the heat from the case.

Reactions: Bullz

Bullz

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Apr 30, 2018
I would try and switch the fan on the bracket to exhaust, half the battle in a SFF case is removing the heat from the case.

Are you sure ? Have read that the ncase works best with pressure posetive ?

fleischverpackung

Caliper Novice
Sep 28, 2019
Yeah. That cooler is just too small. I had it too.
One thing you could try is to undervolt your cpu.
That will get you up to -8°. (or at least mine went down that much).

Simplest way (if you have a volt offset)
Leave everything to auto, set a negative offset.
Go down until you are not stable in prime, then go one up.

And yes, I would turn the psu to use it as an exhaust.
Getting out the hot air seems like priority no1 with this case.
Worst case that could happen is that your psu fan spins more often.

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Hi,

Have the pc mentioned below. At Cinebench R23 I have very good temperatures but as soon as a game or Windows demands full performance on 1,2 cores the temperatures rise significantly.

Have Elden Ring in background now and at 83 degrees at RPM 1515 ( see picture ).

Can I improve the temperatures by switching the fans from intake to exhaust ?
Fan:
2 Intake 9 cm Noctua fans on the heatsink of the CPU cooler ( costum fan curve ).
1 Intake 12cm Noctua at the side panel @ 800 rpm ( over 1000 rpm loud )
1 Intake power supply
( all serves the positive pressure principle what i read )

and what can I do in general to get better temps without buying a new cooler ?

foto:

My Pc
Power supply: Corsair SF750
GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 12GB
SSD: XPG ASX8200PNP-2TT-C SX8200 PRO 2 TB
Mainboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS Pro AX ( latest BIOS )
Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S
Ram: 2xCrucial Ballistix BL2K16G36C16U4R 3600 MHz, DDR4, DRAM
CPU: 5900x eco @65 Watt
Case:ncase m1 v6.1
Windows 11

A lot to unpack here.... Let me help.

First, the 5900X will sit at 90C all day and be fine. It's a hard thing to fathom, but it's true. It's only going to get weirder with the 7000 series as they rev to 95C and sit there all day long. I would suggest you set the PBO to 85C max to give some wiggle room for spikes, and cap your wattage to something reasonable. An undervolt of -10 per core would be a good place to start. With that setup you should see max all core frequencies of 3.6 to 4.0 depending on which units the load is running on. For reference, I have a 5950X on a Noctua L12S.

Second, high temperatures in single core workloads are expected in Ryzen 5000 series. It's normal. Games, for the most part, only use a few primary threads which will trigger this style behavior. In your picture, Core 0, 1, and 4 are being hammered.

Third, Ncase M1 is basically a decade old design that is not a positive pressure case when you have an axial fan GPU cooler. You're dumping 350 watts of heat GPU into a case designed for 180 watt blower cooler. You need to exhaust that heat. Luckily you already have a decent setup for that. Which leads me to....

Fourth: Let's try this for your airflow. It won't be perfect, but it should help. Make the rear 92mm fan an intake, and have the center CPU fan as a pull configuration. Next flip the 120mm side fan to exhaust. That should help pull a lot of the heat out of the case. I don't recommend exhausting with the Corsair SF750 as it's already underpowered for the power spikes the RTX 3080 delivers. As such, make sure it's as cool as possible, and functioning as an intake.

Reactions: rfarmer