Post Your Rig/ Setup

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
Frankly, while I can understand why low end cards would have DVI and VGA (even if it's through DVI-I and an adapter) for compatibility reasons, I am flummoxed why midrange and especially flagship cards boasting to push large resolutions at high frame rates still have ports incapable of such a feat (in fact, in a few generations, it's the high end cards that are more likely to have dual DVI ports).

Speaking of other such things. With all the talk on and off about console killer PCs and steamboxes and such, we could use more low wattage GPUs, obviously not top end, but at least as powerful as the previous generation, but using the newer, more capable technology to achieve the same performance with less wattage.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
In that regard, AMD's newest GPUs (excluding refreshes) only have DisplayPort and HDMI:

AMD Radeon Nano

AMD Fury X

But all the other cards, reference and non-reference, still tend to include atleast one DVI port.

artimaeus

Apprentice
Apr 13, 2016
DVI does seem to be getting phased out as most displays have at least HDMI, if not displayport. I'd love to get back to single slot cards!

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Frankly, while I can understand why low end cards would have DVI and VGA (even if it's through DVI-I and an adapter) for compatibility reasons, I am flummoxed why midrange and especially flagship cards boasting to push large resolutions at high frame rates still have ports incapable of such a feat (in fact, in a few generations, it's the high end cards that are more likely to have dual DVI ports).

Speaking of other such things. With all the talk on and off about console killer PCs and steamboxes and such, we could use more low wattage GPUs, obviously not top end, but at least as powerful as the previous generation, but using the newer, more capable technology to achieve the same performance with less wattage.

This.

Seriously, DVI needs to go the way of the dodo for the (lack of) throughput reason and because the I/O interface is just too bulky compared to HDMI, DP or mini-DP. You can still get adapters if you absolutely need VGA.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
Not to mention DP allows for DVI through a passive adapter for as many external clocks as the video card has (usually 2). It's only when you have more than that you need an active adapter ( admittedly that's only single link DVI, dual always needs and active adapter).

mitxlove

Average Stuffer
Jan 7, 2016
Just about done with my GF's light gaming PC. Just missing some top fans and some led strips. Maybe in the future I'll throw in a GPU but APU works just fine for what she uses it for. Just in case you're wondering, rad was placed on the bottom because the tubes settled most comfortably in that position. They kinked when I tried it at the front.

GF calls the build "Pink Lemonade" lol

specs:
AMD A10-7870k
Gigabyte f2A88xn-wifi-itx
Hyperx Fury 8gb ddr3 1866MHz
Raijintek Trition 240mm
PNY 120gb SSD
Seagate Barracuda 750gb HDD
Enermax Revolution Xt 430w 80+ Gold
Ensourced sleeved cables
Corsair Air 240

Last edited:

mitxlove

Average Stuffer
Jan 7, 2016
Such wasted space is what comes to mind.

But

That braiding and water = <3

I have to agree....extremely clean setup....but all that open space makes me cringe!!

lmao yeah... a lot of case for not a lot of parts. Believe me I wanted something smaller, but GF didn't like ANY of the smaller WHITE ITX cases that I found for her and the few she did like had compatibility issues....

She liked this one cause of the big ol' window. GF gets what the GF wants lmao

I might get a GPU in the future, that plus some top fans should eliminate some of that "open space" feel lol

mitxlove

Average Stuffer
Jan 7, 2016
Such wasted space is what comes to mind.

But

That braiding and water = <3

I have to agree....extremely clean setup....but all that open space makes me cringe!!

lmao yeah... a lot of case for not a lot of parts. Believe me I wanted something smaller, but GF didn't like ANY of the smaller WHITE ITX cases that I found for her and the few she did like had compatibility issues....

She liked this one cause of the big ol' window. GF gets what the GF wants lmao

I might get a GPU in the future, that plus some top fans should eliminate some of that "open space" feel lol

mitxlove

Average Stuffer
Jan 7, 2016
How did you manage to make the PSU cables to look so clean? Are they just THAT stiff?
Lol it's paracord so yeah it's pretty stiff. The cables also come with a single cable comb that helps with straightening everything, I hid the cable combs out of sight. In the other chamber

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
Took a new picture of my build earlier today. :)

Delidded 3570K @ 1.6ghz - 4.1ghz, 0.9v - 1.168v
Cryorig C7
16GB Ballistix Tactical Tracer OC @ 2200mhz
Asus reference 980
P8Z77I Deluxe
840 EVO 120GB (OS)
850 EVO 500GB (Everything else)
Ncase M1 V2
SX500-LG

I'm thinking about changing to an M9i until I move to the A4, Right now the noise levels the C7 is putting out aren't acceptable since I have all this extra room.
Edit:
How do those Voltages sound to you guys?
I feel like I should try to get them lower if I can.
Also, an older shot with lights!

Last edited:

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Welcome to the forum!

Right now the noise levels the C7 is putting out aren't acceptable since I have all this extra room.

Is that just at idle? I find the blower 980 to be pretty loud at load so I'd think it would drown out the C7.

Reactions: MrBreakfst

Curiosity

Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Apr 30, 2016
Welcome to the forum!

Is that just at idle? I find the blower 980 to be pretty loud at load so I'd think it would drown out the C7.
Thanks. :)
At idle it's fine, though I can occasionally hear it over the 980's idle if there's a sudden spike in CPU usage.
At load though it's definitely louder than the 980. :(
Here's a video I took with my mic in the case to give you an idea.
And with the mic in the same place, but with my old U9B-SE2
Note that most of the sound in the U9B video is air being pulled over the mic by the cooler, in real life it was inaudible at load.
And here's where the mic was:

Curiosity

Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Apr 30, 2016
Yeah. :\

That's why I'm thinking about getting an M9i, and debating if I actually want to move into an A4 when I can.
I plan to throw down for the kickstarter regardless of what I decide to do, but actually building in it might wait until I get a lower TDP CPU or get a good undervolting done on my 3570K.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
That's why I have a beefy Scythe Kabuto II in my Ncase with a Noctua 120mm NF-F12 fan on the bracket: my CPU keeps it steady around 60-65°C while the fan's rpm never hits max. Mind you, not overclocked. But in the A4 that cooler won't fit ofcourse :)