Accessory Portable LCD monitors for work and gaming, recommendations?

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
Are there any adapters for usb-c with dp alt monitors on sale? I found this, but what about the power supply?

Unfortunately, the USB C to DP cable will only allow you to connect the USB C output of a device that supports DP Alt Mode to a monitor with a DisplayPort. You can't use it to connect the output of a discrete graphics card to the portable monitor.

Last edited:

Kilrah

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 20, 2017
This is to connect an USB-C output to a DP monitor, not the opposite.

EDIT: Forum didn't show me the previous answer until now for some reason.

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
DELOCK 63928
This adapter by Delock is suitable for the connection of a USB-C™ monitor to a computer with DisplayPort interface.

Also harken to https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...nnect-it-to-windows-computers-via-dp.2227756/
This adapter, the Wacom Link Plus for Cintiq Pro 13/16 (ACK42819) is able to take the Mini Display Port signal from your Windows computer and convert it to a USB-C DP-Alt mode connection that your LG Ultrafine 4k will recognize.

All USB C questions should go to https://www.reddit.com/r/usbchardware because we know everything about USB-C :D

Last edited:

bmacc

Trash Compacter
Apr 23, 2019
ASUS XG17AHP with stand and travel bag available for $599 preorder.

Non stand and bag version also in stock for $499.

Ordered the stand version, could be the ultimate travel monitor if the backlight bleed isn’t atrocious.

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com

Ordered the stand version, could be the ultimate travel monitor if the backlight bleed isn’t atrocious.

I’ve been looking at this monitor myself as I’d get to use it with my laptop, iPad, Switch, and camera.

The XG17AHP does have a 1/4”-20 mount at the back, so you can attach it to standard photographic tripods or friction arms.

Rolling9Deep

Caliper Novice
Sep 5, 2018

please let us know how you like it!

Rolling9Deep

Caliper Novice
Sep 5, 2018
I’ve been looking at this monitor myself as I’d get to use it with my laptop, iPad, Switch, and camera.

The XG17AHP does have a 1/4”-20 mount at the back, so you can attach it to standard photographic tripods or friction arms.
If you get it. Please let us know what you think. Also, what arms/ tripods you recommend. Cheers!

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015

XG17AHPE + FormD-T1 V1.0

Speakers are pretty bad, no surprise really.

Will need a well balance tripod, b/c it was difficult to balance, ideally a metal tripod with some weight or one with a wide stance (but you sacrifice table space).

enricko7

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 12, 2018

XG17AHPE + FormD-T1 V1.0

Speakers are pretty bad, no surprise really.

Will need a well balance tripod, b/c it was difficult to balance, ideally a metal tripod with some weight or one with a wide stance (but you sacrifice table space).

Is it strucurally sound? I think I remember seeing that is was plastic housing, which concerns me a little for a portable monitor.

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
I am using my own tripod mount. The officially tripod is not available yet.

That looks like the Sirui 3T-35. I have the red version of it, so I hope it’s working well as a stand. It will save me having to buy a tripod.

I was thinking of getting the SmallRig 11 inch Articulating Arm and a clamp to mount it.

PEDCO makes a magnetic UltraMount that might work to connect it directly to the side of an SFF case too.

Here’s a review of it from RandomFrankP

Last edited:

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Honest question - why is it so expensive? The refresh rate??
Given that regular 60Hz 15.6" USB-C monitors with narrow color gsmuts, cheap, low-contrast "IPS" panels and no battery often cost above $300 I would say you're paying for panel quality and the features that come with that. Refresh rates, response times of a few ms rather than >50, color gamut, FreeSync support, etc. And of course some ROG tax and added margin due to this inherently being a low-volume product.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
It still requires two cables? I thought it could do everything through a single usb-c.
It is because you need DisplayPort over USB-C in order to do that and while this is common with laptops and smartphones it is still pretty much unheard of with computers.

Reactions: Soul_Est

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
That looks like the Sirui 3T-35. I have the red version of it, so I hope it’s working well as a stand. It will save me having to buy a tripod.

Yes, that’s the tripod I am using, it should be smaller footprint and more adjustable than the Asus tripod - when ever that comes out.

It’s not exactly a cheap option, but it’s a good tripod.

Reactions: AlexTSG

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
It still requires two cables? I thought it could do everything through a single usb-c.

I ran it on my MacBook Pro on a *single Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C head) cable, it's not charging since mine is at 100%, However, the OSD seems to suggest it should support single cable for data and charging.