Accessory Portable LCD monitors for work and gaming, recommendations?

Desertf0x9

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 13, 2018
I got one from amazon, and the speaker grill was already dented. Seems like the construction is pretty disappointing and the cover stand thing doesn't offer enough protection. I guess I'll just stick to my Gstory 120hz.

Last edited:

Madhawk1995

Average Stuffer
Sep 9, 2019
Ordered mine on the way. I doubt the msi will be much cheaper. I don't even know if MSI will have built in battery. I guess only thing that would be real value for people is if the MSI one is same thing no battery and just a smaller 15.6 inch variant for $349. Ordered mine with 4 year warranty so IDC if it dies on its own. I should be able to buy another one down the road. LoL, @Wahaha360 that was the exact setup I was going to do to be mobile after quarantine. Will have a similar setup once this monitor arrives on Thursday. I ordered my own 1/4 camera mount off Amazon. Might order those little ball attachments to put it onto the DSLR tripod I already own which I partly use for my gymbal. My second monitor for this setup will most likely be my surface pro and just stream side content on to there. I need to find a decent surface power adapter to USB C. Only thing now is maybe if I can find a good gaming wireless 60% then only have to use it wired when playing games. The chances of logitech making a 65% with lightspeed wireless in the next decade is high but seriously think it will take them 5 years before it happens.

Majestic

Average Stuffer
May 12, 2018
@Desertf0x9 does your G-Story 120hz turn off randomly? Mine has started to do this. I even got g-story to send me a replacement and that one also randomly turns off.q

hat1324

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 28, 2015
God damn, just looking on Amazon these days there are SO MANY OPTIONS for portable monitors.
It irks me a little that 2 years ago I had to fork out $300+ for a decent 1080p 60Hz IPS

Reactions: Madhawk1995

Madhawk1995

Average Stuffer
Sep 9, 2019
I never updated love my strix xg17. One of the better high refresh rate IPS panels I have used. I calibrated the colors for 6500k whitepoint & Gamma 2.2 with DisplayCal & a colorMunki. Honestly, it's expensive but its great and fits under my ultrawide monitor perfectly. Love it as a second monitor and when I want to chuck my pc keyboard mouse monitor and case all in a bag. It can be done easily. All peripherals are logitech Lightspeed wireless so works good. Also, matches G915 color scheme if you were wondering. Now, I feel obligated to purchase a Gunmetal Gray colored case to complete the combo. The USB C to USB C cable included charges the monitor on RTX GPUs. Sucks that new NVIDIA leaks show 30 series dropping the USB C Virutalink port since a 1 wire solution would have been great. Regardless currently on desk I use it with a usb a to usb c cable on my usb hub power port to charge it 1amp is fine. Then a micro hdmi to hdmi adapter and a 15ft hdmi cable to my PC for 1080p 240hz 8bit. You can only use 1080p 240hz 10bit with the USB C to USB C cable included on the Virutalink port on the RTX GPUs. I would definitely not recommend buying a 2080ti just for this 1 wire setup.. Both AMD & NVIDIA GPUs are looking good(better than 2080ti's especially at $1199). I plan on getting a 3080ti for CUDA and my gsync hardware module monitors still.

Reactions: Tazpr

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
Looks like ViewSonic is entering this market too. They have a couple of 15.6" options coming out soon (July 2020).

I do like that these have USB C and Mini HDMI inputs.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Looks like ViewSonic is entering this market too. They have a couple of 15.6" options coming out soon (July 2020).

I do like that these have USB C and Mini HDMI inputs.

The non-touchscreen one is a good price for what I assume will be wide availability and a reputable brand name. Mini HDMI is the way to go even if it does mean a 2nd cable. USB-C and desktop boards with PCIe GPUs just don't seem to play nice all the time.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
At least it's not Micro-HDMI (never met one of those that wasn't wobbly and weak), but going by the thickness of the frame they could likely have squeezed in a standard HDMI without too much hassle. Other than that they look decent, and I like the built-in kickstand.

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
Here's another upcoming option. A 14 inch 60Hz 1080p IPS ASUS ZenScreen which only supports a USB C connection. This means that you'll either be connecting using DisplayPort Alt Mode on newer devices, or you have to connect via a USB A to USB C cable and install DisplayLink drivers.

I do like the 1/4"-20 mount on the back, as most of the folding cover stands don't look very stable and have limited angle adjustments.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Here's another upcoming option. A 14 inch 60Hz 1080p IPS ASUS ZenScreen which only supports a USB C connection. This means that you'll either be connecting using DisplayPort Alt Mode on newer devices, or you have to connect via a USB A to USB C cable and install DisplayLink drivers.

I do like the 1/4"-20 mount on the back, as most of the folding cover stands don't look very stable and have limited angle adjustments.
That looks nice, but I really wish it had some kind of HDMI fallback for compatibility, as the only USB-C HDMI injector I've seen is a bulky and expensive unit (with an integrated fan! :eek: ) meaning this is purely limited to PC usage. The 14" size is nice though.

Reactions: AlexTSG

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
That looks nice, but I really wish it had some kind of HDMI fallback for compatibility, as the only USB-C HDMI injector I've seen is a bulky and expensive unit (with an integrated fan! :eek: ) meaning this is purely limited to PC usage. The 14" size is nice though.

Yes, this is very much a second screen for a newer laptop, or maybe an iPad Pro. I think I’ll pick up something with an HDMI input for the added flexibility. The 17 inch ASUS ROG ZenScreen is still at the top of my list, but I’m hoping to see a price drop before I buy.

Reactions: Valantar

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Yes, this is very much a second screen for a newer laptop, or maybe an iPad Pro. I think I’ll pick up something with an HDMI input for the added flexibility. The 17 inch ASUS ROG ZenScreen is still at the top of my list, but I’m hoping to see a price drop before I buy.
Same, though I would probably prefer a 15" version, it is otherwise nearly ideal. I would gladly settle for a 15" 120Hz or 144Hz alternative (IPS and decent color gamut is a must though) if that meant a more reasonable price.

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
This means that you'll either be connecting using DisplayPort Alt Mode on newer devices, or you have to connect via a USB A to USB C cable and install DisplayLink drivers.

DisplayLink still requires a hardware device which this monitor is not. And DL sucks so badly. So no, that's not an option. However, if you don't have a USB C port then the Wacom Link Plus takes a video signal + USB A and constructs an USB C signal.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
DisplayLink still requires a hardware device which this monitor is not. And DL sucks so badly. So no, that's not an option. However, if you don't have a USB C port then the Wacom Link Plus takes a video signal + USB A and constructs an USB C signal.
Given that Displaylink support is on the spec sheet, I would assume that the monitor includes the necessary hardware for it to work, likely muxed through the USB-C connection so that it only activates if there is no display signal incoming. And the entire point of DL is to only need a USB connector after all.

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
Given that Displaylink support is on the spec sheet, I would assume that the monitor includes the necessary hardware for it to work, likely muxed through the USB-C connection so that it only activates if there is no display signal incoming. And the entire point of DL is to only need a USB connector after all.

Correct. Here's the text copied from the product page:

Hybrid-signal solution: USB Type-A and Type-C support
ZenScreen™ MB14AC only requires a single USB connection for both power and video transmission from your host device. It features an innovative hybrid-signal solution with native support for USB Type-C™ (USB-C™) connections, and uses an installed driver* to support USB Type-A connectors for full compatibility. The reversible, any-way-up USB-C design enables quick, hassle-free connection to any device.
*DisplayLink driver required for hybrid-signal connections via USB Type-A. Please visit the Support site to get the download information.

Reactions: Valantar

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
*throws up in mouth*

I stand corrected. Nonetheless, DisplayLink is garbage and stay away from it.

Madhawk1995

Average Stuffer
Sep 9, 2019
Correct. Here's the text copied from the product page:

Hybrid-signal solution: USB Type-A and Type-C support
ZenScreen™ MB14AC only requires a single USB connection for both power and video transmission from your host device. It features an innovative hybrid-signal solution with native support for USB Type-C™ (USB-C™) connections, and uses an installed driver* to support USB Type-A connectors for full compatibility. The reversible, any-way-up USB-C design enables quick, hassle-free connection to any device.
*DisplayLink driver required for hybrid-signal connections via USB Type-A. Please visit the Support site to get the download information.
I just tried this on my XG17 and it doesn't work.