Accessory Portable LCD monitors for work and gaming, recommendations?

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
I just tried this on my XG17 and it doesn't work.

This isn't a feature of the XG17, it's for the ZenScreen MB14AC. As @chx mentioned DisplayLink isn't great. I've only used it on an pretty old USB display and it was laggy, and we had problems with the driver in Windows. While it may have improved now, it would be unsuitable for a display meant for gaming.

bmacc

Trash Compacter
Apr 23, 2019
Amazon just delivered my May 16th ASUS XG17AHP preorder so I’ll try and get a preliminary review up over the weekend. Also replacing the 5700XT in the Ncase with a gigabyte gaming OC 2080 Ti so I’ll test out the gsync compatibility with my current gaming x trio 2080 ti.

Also found this reddit post talking about adapters that get GPU DP out to monitor USB C DP ALT in working. I ordered the delock adapter mentioned in the post to test too.

Reactions: AlexTSG

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
As my hunt for a portable monitor continues, I think I may have found one that's perfect for me.

It's made by a company called Cocopar, who I've never heard of, but all their portable monitors have good reviews on Amazon. This one has only been available since 24 May 2020.

It's a 15.6" 1920x1080 60Hz IPS display with thin 3mm bezels in a Aluminium CNC chassis.

It has 75x75 VESA mounting holes, and supports inputs via USB C (DP Alt Mode), full sized HDMI, and Mini DP. It also has built in 2W speakers and audio out. There's support for FreeSync and HDR, but with a max refresh of 60Hz and 300cd/m2 brightness, I'm not sure how worthwhile those features are.

What do you think?

Reactions: smitty2k1

_ONE_

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 1, 2017
Hello there!!

I would like to know if any of you tried those driver board on AliExpress for laptop monitor.

I'm surprised they have 2k 120hz, 144hz etc etc
Because 3 year ago there was only the 60hz available.

Here's some interesting specs:

However my big question about them is what do we have to expect on their millisecond response time?

If we can get something decent, I would love to work on a universal bezel so that we can have a decent looking monitor without spending a lot.

Laptop panel are very widely spread across the globe, there's definitely something to do there.

So? ?

Last edited:

Madhawk1995

Average Stuffer
Sep 9, 2019
Hello there!!

I would like to know if any of you tried those driver board on AliExpress for laptop monitor.

However my big question about them is what do we have to expect on their millisecond response time?

If we can get something decent, I would love to work on a universal bezel so that we can have a decent looking monitor without spending a lot.

Laptop panel are very widely spread across the globe, there's definitely something to do there.

So? ?
I was going to buy and build my own monitor and casing like that but was always concerned what do I do if it dies. The 15.6inch 120hz IPS gaming laptop monitor panels are around $60 and driver board + casing maybe another $60-80. Depends on what time you buy if there are deals etc. I was looking before pandemic.
I made my life easy and simple took the enthusiast route mainly because I wanted to try 240hz and ended up with warranty and XG17. But, keep us updated.
You could do something like this guy did. Parts linked in the description.

_ONE_

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 1, 2017
I was going to buy and build my own monitor and casing like that but was always concerned what do I do if it dies. The 15.6inch 120hz IPS gaming laptop monitor panels are around $60 and driver board + casing maybe another $60-80. Depends on what time you buy if there are deals etc. I was looking before pandemic.
I made my life easy and simple took the enthusiast route mainly because I wanted to try 240hz and ended up with warranty and XG17. But, keep us updated.

Yep that's what my link was about, but I still can't find anything about the response time
120hz is cool but if you have 50ms latency, it's unplayable.

But those board arn't very high quality. I tend to think that laptop embeded controller are much more faster.
However I don't think that it'll die the way you thought. if so, It's not that hard to replace this board.

Reactions: Madhawk1995

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Yep that's what my link was about, but I still can't find anything about the response time
120hz is cool but if you have 50ms latency, it's unplayable.

But those board arn't very high quality. I tend to think that laptop embeded controller are much more faster.
However I don't think that it'll die the way you thought. if so, It's not that hard to replace this board.
Response times depend on the panel, not the controller (unless the controller is doing a bunch of processing like a TV might, which monitor controllers shouldn't do). It might add a few ms if it's poor quality, but the vast majority of the response time comes from the panel itself. Look at laptop reviews (Notebookcheck does response time testing) or panel specs on a site like Panelook to find a suitable panel. In my experience the good ones are quite expensive.

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Hello there!!

So? ?
<raises hand> This is a project I've gotten stuck on. I had a relatively low-end gaming laptop after graduating from college. Its untimely demise led me to build my first computer (SFF, no less, in the good old Silverstone RVZ02). I kept that old husk of a laptop around mainly for sentimental reasons. I had even pulled the hard drive out so I could have my old files (still in use now as an extra TB of storage).

After seeing some chatter, I thought I could pull the panel out. I pulled the trigger on a LCD controller from ebay that I thought might work. The model number of my panel differed slightly from the supported panels listed on the controller page so it was a bit of a dice roll. Well, it works! Yay for me!

However, it's little more than a 60Hz brain-in-a-jar at this point. I failed to secure a means to house it. The PCB is a bit thicker than I'd like and I'd also have to find a way to route the delicate ribbon cable between the panel and the controller. Also, it's powered via a barrel jack so that means carrying yet another power cord. I've had some utility out of this setup, even as it is, as a second monitor for other experimental builds/rebuilds.

I have no idea what the latency is nor how to measure it (would require additional hardware, yes?). Ultimately, I never saw it as a true "gaming" monitor, more of a portable productivity monitor with some casual gaming on the side if anything (Nintendo Switch maybe?) I would consider 3D printing one if I could find a sufficient open source modeling software and a printing service which would be able to custom fab one at a reasonable cost.

As with many things in the DIY world, it's probably more trouble and more time than if I just bought one.

_ONE_

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 1, 2017
Hardware Unboxed has just put up a review of the ASUS XG17. The tripod stand looks really good, although maybe not $100 good...

At that price (500usd) that's way too expensive, It's ridiculously not worth it.

However, that's very bad to not be able to find 19 inch or lower desktop gaming monitor, I would like to mod it to be thin and portable. the smallest I found is the viotek GFV22CB at 22inch but anyway...

I guess i'll check laptop monitor response time by themselve. Thx Valantar for the tips

_ONE_

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 1, 2017
Does someone know a list of panel with high refresh rate, ips and low latency?

On panelook.com I can only sort them by size, resolution and tech (edp, lvds etc etc...)

maybe I should check per review on notebookcheck...

esca

Efficiency Noob
May 9, 2020
Got this panel recently, its a great 15.6 inch panel with native 4k 120hz and wide gamut support. (B156ZAN05.1). Only using it at 1440p 120hz due to driver board DP 1.2 limitations.

Sorry for the LQ pic ?

raldian

Chassis Packer
Sep 5, 2018
Got this panel recently, its a great 15.6 inch panel with native 4k 120hz and wide gamut support. (B156ZAN05.1). Only using it at 1440p 120hz due to driver board DP 1.2 limitations.

Sorry for the LQ pic ?

Did you build yourself? Interesting that the driver board has DP (which means it can use NVidia G-Sync?)

esca

Efficiency Noob
May 9, 2020
Did you build yourself? Interesting that the driver board has DP (which means it can use NVidia G-Sync?)
Yes, I sourced the panel and driver board seperately. It has DP1.2a.
Freesync works, it shows up as "non validated gysnc display" although you can enable gysnc in nvdia control panel it just blanks out once the option is applied.

Kuutti

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jul 19, 2020
Any Android tablets from big brands that does hdmi/dp/usbc -inputs? Theres seams to be atleast one from my poor googlefu.
Would the zenscreen touch work with the new "zero latency" wireless hdmi:s and the touch work through bluetooth?

_ONE_

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 1, 2017

Sorry for the LQ pic ?

That's an interesting panel!

However does downscaling the resolution to 2k make the image blurry and not sharp anymore?

What did you use to drive this panel? I can't find any driver board related to it on AliExpress.

bmacc

Trash Compacter
Apr 23, 2019
The Delock DP to USBC adapter I ordered did not work with my 2080 Ti and ASUS XG17AHP. Unfortunately it was only available from amazon UK so I can’t really return it. I’ll try one of the cables that chx linked and see how it goes.