Accessory Portable LCD monitors for work and gaming, recommendations?

vardonir

Efficiency Noob
Apr 28, 2017
Here is a pic of my dual 17" portable monitors. They are both 400x250x25mm.
If you guys have suggestions on how to make the ultimate portable monitor, I can pass it over to LUKOS, and if they don't want to do it - I can get the monitors made professionally. I'm always game for better portable monitors :)

Personally, my dream build is one of those lunchbox type PC cases, with the entire PC and monitor (and keyboard/mouse, maybe) in the same case. No idea if that's realistic, tho.

I'd be interested in basically a big (up to 17") Windows tablet or a lightweight laptop with HDMI input. Doesn't need to have gaming specs on its own, but at least I have simple and portable to use for light tasks while power sockets can't be found.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Personally, my dream build is one of those lunchbox type PC cases, with the entire PC and monitor (and keyboard/mouse, maybe) in the same case. No idea if that's realistic, tho.

I'd be interested in basically a big (up to 17") Windows tablet or a lightweight laptop with HDMI input. Doesn't need to have gaming specs on its own, but at least I have simple and portable to use for light tasks while power sockets can't be found.

Dell 17” 7000 2-in-1 is the closest 17” so far.

Or you can get the Surface Book 2 15”.

slimjim

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 5, 2017
has anyone tried to use the 18 inch screens from msi laptops?

EDIT: I mean use the screens with driver boards as portable monitors?

Last edited:

jameshc

What's an ITX?
New User
Nov 22, 2017
Does anyone have accurate dimensions for the AbuseMarK adaptor board (for the QX1) and the iPad 3 display (LP097QX1), including screw mounts?
I can't find my calipers :(

kogepathic

Caliper Novice
Jun 6, 2017
Does anyone have accurate dimensions for the AbuseMarK adaptor board (for the QX1) and the iPad 3 display (LP097QX1), including screw mounts?
I can't find my calipers :(

Yes!

The full size DisplayPort adapter is 81.0 x 40.0 x 10.5 mm (LxWxH) including port overhang. The dimensions of the mini DisplayPort model should be the same except the height is less (8.2mm)

The LP097QX1 just refer to the datasheet (PDF) for the dimensions:

has anyone tried to use the 18 inch screens from msi laptops?

EDIT: I mean use the screens with driver boards as portable monitors?

I don't have any experience with 18" screens but I've got two Sharp 15.6" 4K panels. The driver board is pretty expensive ~$150 USD. Usually the seller can create a custom eDP cable for your panel and configure the firmware appropriately.

I'm just waiting for my order to be laser cut and then I can post progress photos of the case assembly.

Last edited:

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016

kogepathic

Caliper Novice
Jun 6, 2017
Well I finally finished and cut the cases for the 4K Sharp panels I bought. There are a lot of mistakes I had to fix after the fact, note to future self: do not be lazy and assume both LCDs have the same layout. Imgur album. I kind of gave up on trying to mount the buttons and IR receiver. They're just hanging out behind the monitors at the moment.

Power consumption on the controller boards stinks. Consuming 6W even when the panel is off, around 12W when the panel is on. Clearly the Chinese firmware is not shutting off the display controller as well as it should.

Here are both the 4K panels mounted on a VESA stand:

In the future I'll try to mount my iPad displays somewhere here as well. I need more eyes for all these monitors.

AcquaCow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 14, 2017
How good are Asus monitors? The Asus MB169B is IPS, 1080p, cheap, and very portable. However it uses USB for both its video signal and power. How would you connect that with a system's dedicated GPU?

You can't, which is the problem with that monitor.

Bummer. Crossing the Asus off the list, then.

I just want to point out (without reading 12 pages) that this is not factual info.

Displaylink will use GPU accel and I can push 60FPS over USB 3 on my Asus USB 3 monitor just fine. I use it as a spare monitor and keep it in my backpack when I travel.

What doesn't work well is using GPU-accelerated content on both the USB monitor and a main monitor. It'll stutter if you do that, so you can't have youtube on one and games on the other.

-- Dave

SFF Scrub

Average Stuffer
Aug 7, 2017
So let me make sure I have this correct. You can go from sata to molex and then from molex to dc, and that will 100% have enough power for a monitor. ~20W max

On the other hand you can cut a usb and throw a dc jack on one side, but you have to make sure you have a high enough efficiency to power a monitor. ~10W max

If this is correct then I would go for the molex, but just for curiosity I would appreciate someone explaining to me how you would know your usb hack job is a high enough efficiency? For I don't think that is an openly discussed specification for usb cables

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Asus just announced a 21.5" portable OLED 4k battery charged display...

http://edgeup.asus.com/2018/monitors-made-for-travel-proart-pq22uc-zenscreen-go/

I hope its around the 400~range, so its within my price range, this should be a dream display for production and portability.
$400 is extremely optimistic for an OLED display. Remember that Dell 30" OLED from a while back? That was $3500. This is part of the ProArt series, which typically command a premium. I would expect it to be near or above $1k.

gunpalcyril

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 7, 2016
$400 is extremely optimistic for an OLED display. Remember that Dell 30" OLED from a while back? That was $3500. This is part of the ProArt series, which typically command a premium. I would expect it to be near or above $1k.

Sigh you're probably right. One can dream.

On another note, since its super light and and thin profile, I wonder if one could velcro tape it to the actual wall, like the lg wallpaper display?