Accessory Portable LCD monitors for work and gaming, recommendations?

gunpalcyril

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 7, 2016
would it do 144? o_o
Yes it will do 144hz, there aren't any artifacts that come up, but a weird effects comes up on the actual screen. The best way I can describe it when set to 144hz is while I'm looking the desktop at idle, I can see a very thin and transparent square overlay right in the middle of the display. Its super slight, and it spans from the top to bottom. but the right and left areas are just slightly darker, and this exists with any programs i run.

Reactions: VegetableStu

vardonir

Efficiency Noob
Apr 28, 2017
I saw this monitor from earlier in the thread and I was wondering if anyone here actually bought it. I was thinking about getting the 15" GeChic but this one is cheaper and has free shipping.

I'm worried about all those warnings. Also, what does the plug/power brick look like?

Reactions: Biowarejak

McDanger

Efficiency Noob
Oct 18, 2017
I'm looking for something like a hinge or a kickstand so that I can screw it on the back/side of my portable screen. Anyone an idea?

Couldn't find something usable.

kogepathic

Caliper Novice
Jun 6, 2017

The controller is definitely compatible with the 2nd gen iPad LCD. I can't seem to find the part number of the 1st gen iPad LCD, but it looks completely different to the second gen iPad LCD (at least mechanically), so I would guess it's not compatible:

1st Gen: https://www.ifixit.com/Store/iPad/iPad-LCD-Panel/IF180-003-1

2nd Gen: https://www.ifixit.com/Store/iPad/iPad-2-LCD/IF110-021-2

Replacement iPad LCDs are quite cheap from eBay/Asia. If you're interested in building a display based on the iPad LCD, I'd recommend focusing on 2nd Gen and newer.

You could always ask the seller? But they might just say yes to make the sale.

kogepathic

Caliper Novice
Jun 6, 2017
I'm looking for something like a hinge or a kickstand so that I can screw it on the back/side of my portable screen. Anyone an idea?

Couldn't find something usable.

If you have access to a 3D printer, there are many kickstand designs available for VESA mounts. There are also online services to print parts for you, but I don't know how expensive this would be.

e.g. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2338530

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Here is a pic of my dual 17" portable monitors. They are both 400x250x25mm.

Two of these monitors + SFF PC can fit inside "Personal Item" bag along with a Carry-On suitcase to board an international flight.

The monitors have VESA mounting and can be powered by external battery bank. I plan to connect the power bank to monitor to a Nintendo Switch for future flight layovers.

LUKOS (same as Alienware 17R4 laptop monitor), 17.3" TN 2560x2160@1440HZ 99% sRGB
LUKOS (same as Alienware 17R4 laptop monitor), 17.3" IPS, 4K (3840x2160@60HZ) 99% AdobeRGB

If you guys have suggestions on how to make the ultimate portable monitor, I can pass it over to LUKOS, and if they don't want to do it - I can get the monitors made professionally. I'm always game for better portable monitors :)

Last edited:

slimjim

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 5, 2017
Here is a pic of my dual 17" portable monitors. They are both 400x250x25mm.

Two of these monitors + SFF PC can fit inside "Personal Item" bag along with a Carry-On suitcase to board an international flight.

The monitors have VESA mounting and can be powered by external battery bank. I plan to connect the power bank to monitor to a Nintendo Switch for future flight layovers.

LUKOS (same as Alienware 17R4 laptop monitor), 17.3" TN 2560x2160@1440HZ 99% sRGB
LUKOS (same as Alienware 17R4 laptop monitor), 17.3" IPS, 4K (3840x2160@60HZ) 99% AdobeRGB

If you guys have suggestions on how to make the ultimate portable monitor, I can pass it over to LUKOS, and if they don't want to do it - I can get the monitors made professionally. I'm always game for better portable monitors :)

are you flying business class emirates to be able to put these systems in front of you or what?

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
are you flying business class emirates to be able to put these systems in front of you or what?

I don't put these monitors in front of me during the flight...lol

When I travel for extended periods of time. I like to have my desktop and laptop with me. Since I had mix experience with checked-in luggage. I prefer to onboard flights with my desktop and laptop.

For 15-22 hour flights, it doesn't mix well with my ADHD. I don't like to drink myself into sleep or watch inflight movies (they usually suck). If the choice is between alcohol, sleeping pills or watching on-flight movies, I choose video games.

I met some of the guys on this forum at Computex this year. The picture below is business class from US to Taiwan was enough space. I suppose one *could put the monitors in front. But I had my eGPU + Bootcamp on my MacBook, so I used that instead.

Last edited:

Fernando93

Caliper Novice
Jun 17, 2016
Is there a way to contact Lukos in English?
Are you planning to make "Wallye" Portable Monitors? (I would be really interested to get one)

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Is there a way to contact Lukos in English?
Are you planning to make "Wallye" Portable Monitors? (I would be really interested to get one)

I don't know about English at Lukos - it's a shame.

Wallye will be strictly gaming lifestyle gear (bags and etc).

SFFLAB portable monitor is a maybe. Basically, I want Freesync or G-Sync, I also like to get an idea when Dell/Alienware will push out OLED 15.6" or 17.3" panels for laptops. I don't want to work on a portable monitor when OLED is around the corner.

Fernando93

Caliper Novice
Jun 17, 2016
Basically, I want Freesync or G-Sync, I also like to get an idea when Dell/Alienware will push out OLED 15.6" or 17.3" panels for laptops. I don't want to work on a portable monitor when OLED is around the corner.

So when DELL OLED comes out you plan to get a portable one or get a Regular Monitor and develop the ''Wallye Monitor Carrying Case''?

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
So when DELL OLED comes out you plan to get a portable one or get a Regular Monitor and develop the ''Wallye Monitor Carrying Case''?

The current Wallye Tactik Duffle can fit both 17.3" monitors and the A4 inside of it.

Alternatively, there are these very thin (~15mm) 1080p 60hz 15.6" and 17.3" monitor that will fit inside the current Wallye Tactik Duffle with M1.

No need to create a new bag ;)

slimjim

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 5, 2017
The current Wallye Tactik Duffle can fit both 17.3" monitors and the A4 inside of it.

Alternatively, there are these very thin (~15mm) 1080p 60hz 15.6" and 17.3" monitor that will fit inside the current Wallye Tactik Duffle with M1.

No need to create a new bag ;)

any thoughts on the SPUD?

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
any thoughts on the SPUD?

My desktop is basically for VMs, Excel, CAD, light rendering and gaming. None of the uses benefits from low resolution or low quality screen.

I also have a family friend who manufactures pocket projectors based on TI chips. I have a little bit of inside knowledge on what is possible on a consumer level.

I have a retina display on my phone, retina 17.3" portable monitor. To downgrade to to 720p is sacrificing a lot.

I hope they proof me wrong, but I'm very skeptical about the quality of the display at the current stage - it could be special in a few iterations :)

I think SPUD is designed for the XBOX / Playstation crowd. I'm an enthusiast and a gear head, if the price was 100x more for a laser 4K pocket projector, I know several people who will buy multiple.

Last edited:
Reactions: cmyk78

Fernando93

Caliper Novice
Jun 17, 2016
I also like to get an idea when Dell/Alienware will push out OLED 15.6" or 17.3" panels for laptops.
So you think Lukos or some other people will be releasing some OLED portable Monitors ''Soon™''?

Would you recommend me to wait if that's the case?

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
So you think Lukos or some other people will be releasing some OLED portable Monitors ''Soon™''?

Would you recommend me to wait if that's the case?

I have not gotten any firm dates from my contact or LUKOs on OLED date. So I can’t answer that question for you.

I plan to buy the OLED 15.6” or 17.3” whenever it comes out. If Dell/Alienware has an exclusive on the OLED panels, then one might have to buy 2 laptops just to get the OLED off - not ideal, but there may not be any other way.

Last edited: