Accessory Portable LCD monitors for work and gaming, recommendations?

kogepathic

Caliper Novice
Jun 6, 2017
Why buy something from aliexpress that has NOT EVER been QC'ed? Abusemark stuff is made in Japan and is QCed and QCed again when it leaves?

honestly.

If you want something cheap to knock out a proof of concept? The Chinesium adapter and 9.7" LCD will set you back <$60

As I said, they aren't using high quality backlight drivers like Abusemark does, but they do have quite a few reviews so if the design was so terrible they didn't work or immediately fried the panel, you'd expect it to reflect in the reviews.

I received my second LQ156D* panel but unfortunately it's used and damaged (seller is clearly selling used Grade B stuff as new). I did confirm that DisplayPort MST does work with the R9511 boards, so you can drive two 4K displays off a single DP1.2 host (4K@30Hz).

One other thing to note: the display controllers don't seem to have a power off mode, so when the monitor is in "Power Saving" mode the controllers themselves are still quite warm and are consuming around 4W each, even though the panel is off. Guess I shouldn't have expected anything better (e.g. EU standby consumption compliant) from China Inc.

I'll have a case design as soon as I figure out how I'm going to mount the controller and have a VESA mount, as it's much larger than the Abusemark adapter and has the DisplayPort output on the side... also the heat tends to make adhesive give up, and double sided foam tape is my go-to move for mounting things when I don't want to mess around with drills and tiny wood screws.

Reactions: Soul_Est

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
I had done such a project before with an IPS panel from a MacBook Pro. The backlight driver overdrove the CCFL and led to their aggressive deterioration over time.

Reactions: Biowarejak

gunpalcyril

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 7, 2016
I love the control board adapter for the ipad 4 display.

Any chance there is a control board adapter for like an ipad mini display or even an iphone 6 plus screen display?

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
Abusemark makes an adapter for the iPad mini display @gunpalcyril

gunpalcyril

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 7, 2016
sorry guys, just a small update:

its there and makes a pretty solid first impression and it's working as intended. later more.

Any update on that monitor? I've been looking to get one of these two:

1. http://www.chinaglobalmall.com/products/540023835242

2. http://www.chinaglobalmall.com/products/541596769837

The first option looks like the better buy, since it can be usb powered and has full sized hdmi ports. Still both come up to around $200 total to be shipped to USA. I'd like to know if any of these monitors can be powered by 10 series gpus?

Shahmatt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 6, 2017
Does anyone know if it possible to use an Android or Windows 10 tablet as a second display (or main display) ?

Are there any apps/software that can be used to make that happen?

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
Does anyone know if it possible to use an Android or Windows 10 tablet as a second display (or main display) ?

Are there any apps/software that can be used to make that happen?
Android: Yes, there are third-party apps around that does this (over WiFi or USB). However I don't own an android device so I can't speak for any of them (there are roundups and articles around, but you might need a bit more time to find proper anecdotes in forums or messageboards)

Windows 10: nope not really exactly. There are implementations where you install a remote client on both ends (which is what they are; this for example).

Last edited:

Shahmatt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 6, 2017
Android: Yes, there are third-party apps around that does this (over WiFi or USB). However I don't own an android device so I can't speak for any of them (there are roundups and articles around, but you might need a bit more time to find proper anecdotes in forums or messageboards)

Windows 10: nope not really exactly. There are implementations where you install a remote client on both ends (which is what they are; this for example).

Thanks. I've got one of em dual boot tablets. I'll try the Android method and see how it goes!

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
You should grab yourself a file and clean up those edges. :)

gunpalcyril

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 7, 2016
Anyone try raspberry pi displays? I bought two from amazon, a 7" and a 10" screen, both have hdmi ports and are powered by usb, and as a plus they are also capacitive touch screens.

To my surprise they are pretty adequate for my work, especially the 10" version. Its 1280x800p, but its ips and great at 100% scaling, and I can even overclock it to 76hz.

I'm not too keen on the screen size of the 7", its not as color accurate as the 10" ips, but what surprised me the most was that I was able to overclock this tiny display to 159hz...

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Anyone try raspberry pi displays? I bought two from amazon, a 7" and a 10" screen, both have hdmi ports and are powered by usb, and as a plus they are also capacitive touch screens.

To my surprise they are pretty adequate for my work, especially the 10" version. Its 1280x800p, but its ips and great at 100% scaling, and I can even overclock it to 76hz.

I'm not too keen on the screen size of the 7", its not as color accurate as the 10" ips, but what surprised me the most was that I was able to overclock this tiny display to 159hz...
That actually seems like a reasonable solution. Do you have product links?

Dan22tech

What's an ITX?
Oct 6, 2017
Hey guys, I'm on the quest for a portable monitor too! Gechic looks dope, but it's very pricey ($300+ to $400). Just searching on eBay and amazon I stumbled upon an Shenzhen brand called Sibolan or something like that, and the 15" one it's like $200 which is a lot more reasonable than the gechic one, and comes with hdmi, USB c and power adapter.

Those AOC and ASUS USB type C seems to be the solution for integrated graphics, but as I read on the reviews people have only tried them with NUC mini PC, and I'm building a mini PC but with Coffee Lake and asus mini ITX 300 series, so I don't really know if it's compatible. They say on the questions that ASUS USB C monitor is compatible with integrated graphics that uses display port through USB C, and that it is changeable on the motherboard BIOS.

Anyways, any info on that Sibolan monitor or display port through USB C on ASUS mobo will be truly appreciated!

jwlarocque

Cable Smoosher
Jan 24, 2017
Could you link the 7" please? 10 is a bit too big for me and I'd love that overclock. (Is it just the 7in-C from the same Amazon page?)