Accessory Portable LCD monitors for work and gaming, recommendations?

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Asus just announced a 21.5" portable OLED 4k battery charged display...

http://edgeup.asus.com/2018/monitors-made-for-travel-proart-pq22uc-zenscreen-go/

I hope its around the 400~range, so its within my price range, this should be a dream display for production and portability.
I'm thinking these panels are probably 'offcuts' from runs intended for broadcast mastering and colour-grading monitors that didn't meet the stringent QC cuts, but are still good enough for 'prosumer' calibration (it looks lioke these panels are one of JOLED's first outputs).

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Anyone familiar with Magedok brand?

Just leaving it here: 13.3 inch, 2560 x 1440 pixel, 10ms typical resp time, TFT LCD, 16.7 million colors :)

$149.

https://magedok-shop.myshopify.com/products/133-inch-2k-ips-quad-hd-portable-monitor1332k

I feel 2K resolution is pointless on 13.3 inch screen, but perhaps I'm just a minority here :)

EDIT: other Magedok monitors seem to have 25-35ms typical response time. I know the lower the better, but what's the reasonable or "good enough" typical response time for gaming? Also, what's the difference or correlation between typical response time and grey-to-grey response time?

Last edited:
Reactions: loader963

gunpalcyril

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 7, 2016
Anyone familiar with Magedok brand?

Just leaving it here: 13.3 inch, 2560 x 1440 pixel, 10ms typical resp time, TFT LCD, 16.7 million colors :)

$149.

https://magedok-shop.myshopify.com/products/133-inch-2k-ips-quad-hd-portable-monitor1332k

I feel 2K resolution is pointless on 13.3 inch screen, but perhaps I'm just a minority here :)

EDIT: other Magedok monitors seem to have 25-35ms typical response time. I know the lower the better, but what's the reasonable or "good enough" typical response time for gaming? Also, what's the difference or correlation between typical response time and grey-to-grey response time?

Woah, is this real? If this is powered via micro usb port, this is exactly what i need.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
I've emailed them yesterday asking a few questions but still no reply. I'll update if there's any.

It seems that they sell their products thru Amazon as well, so probably those in US can get one?

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
A) taking a closer look this is another 1cm thick CNC machined monitor like the Fushiilang ones B) But it has VESA mount which sucks for travel because every VESA mount seems to be built to hold up a CRT instead of a 1-2kg LCD monitor C) no trace on Amazon

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
But it has VESA mount which sucks for travel because every VESA mount seems to be built to hold up a CRT instead of a 1-2kg LCD monitor
Its a standard that was developed specifically for flat panel displays. you wont find a CRT that has a VESA mount on it and there likely isnt a VESA bracket in existence that could cope w/ that kind of weight, especially given the depth of a CRT.

Reactions: SeñorDonut

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
I was half kidding. But look at the weight and build of most VESA brackets! It's utterly ridiculous, thick heavy steal everywhere.

Bruman

Trash Compacter
Feb 24, 2017
When LCD's and VESA first came out there were some huge 8 - 10kg behemoths so not surprised that the brackets would be big, surely you can find slimmer ones though.

Reactions: SeñorDonut

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
https://products.k-m.de/us/product?info=1214&xb876c=c8c744d6fcb1350227708f8f4eb6eeb8

7kg max load. Because of that, this adapter in itself is 0.6kg.

When LCD's and VESA first came out there were some huge 8 - 10kg behemoths so not surprised that the brackets would be big, surely you can find slimmer ones though.

Surely you can but I can't and neither could https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1368783 do you have some concrete ideas you could share?

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Depending on just how light your monitor is, you could get an iPad stand/arm, chop the 'case' the iPad clips into down to a 125x125 square, drill the 100mm square VESA holes and bolt it on. Though for something tiny like that 13.3" Magedok monitor, then just use a regular old 'universal' tablet kick-stand is about as light as you can go off-the-shelf. Or just buy a hinge and strip of metal from a hardware store and use that to bolt a minimal 'kickstand' right to one of the VESA holes on the back.

SFF Scrub

Average Stuffer
Aug 7, 2017
Thank you for finding an aliexpress reseller of Fushilang https://shop57714512.world.taobao.com/ these are really interesting monitors, the top six on the page I just linked have tripod mount screws so they are really well suited for travel.
Sorry to be bringing back a super old comment, but has anyone looked father into these monitors? I'm in need of a new one for my S4 build and the 4k one looks awesome

kogepathic

Caliper Novice
Jun 6, 2017
Sorry to be bringing back a super old comment, but has anyone looked father into these monitors? I'm in need of a new one for my S4 build and the 4k one looks awesome

They mention using Sharp IGZO panels, so it's probably the LQ156D1JX01 since that's the most common Sharp 15.6" 4K panel.

It's a nice panel, I used one in my 4K monitor build. It is a glossy panel though, so be prepared for lots of glare.

Here's a matte panel (left) next to the glossy panel (right):

You can probably guess which lamps I have from the reflection in the glossy panel...

Matte: screen door effect on text at 4K
Glossy: glare everywhere

See:
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...gaming-recommendations.2089/page-8#post-59248
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...aming-recommendations.2089/page-12#post-77699

shreebles

Chassis Packer
Feb 11, 2018
I just want to point out (without reading 12 pages) that this is not factual info.

Displaylink will use GPU accel and I can push 60FPS over USB 3 on my Asus USB 3 monitor just fine. I use it as a spare monitor and keep it in my backpack when I travel.

What doesn't work well is using GPU-accelerated content on both the USB monitor and a main monitor. It'll stutter if you do that, so you can't have youtube on one and games on the other.

-- Dave

Dave,
It baffles me how you do this.
On my systems, DisplayLink (via USB3) would never use the dedicated GPU. Opening Nvidia Control Panel, I will get the error that no monitor is connected that use the Nvidia GPU.
I can play games, but they will stutter and lag like hell. (MB16AC is the monitor).

Connecting to the Thunderbolt Port of my new Motherboard does not produce any image, perhaps due to the fact that the dGPU is set as primary output and no display is connected to it.

The only Thunderbolt port that works for me with the USB-C monitor is on the Skull Canyon and its iGPU performance is not overly convincing compared to any dGPU.

I'm not sure how it works for you, but my experience has been the same as what Aibohphobia posted - I can't seem to find a way to connect the Asus USB-C Monitor directly to the DGPU.

You can't, which is the problem with that monitor.

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
Dave,
It baffles me how you do this.
On my systems, DisplayLink (via USB3) would never use the dedicated GPU. Opening Nvidia Control Panel, I will get the error that no monitor is connected that use the Nvidia GPU.
I can play games, but they will stutter and lag like hell. (MB16AC is the monitor).

Connecting to the Thunderbolt Port of my new Motherboard does not produce any image, perhaps due to the fact that the dGPU is set as primary output and no display is connected to it.

The only Thunderbolt port that works for me with the USB-C monitor is on the Skull Canyon and its iGPU performance is not overly convincing compared to any dGPU.

I'm not sure how it works for you, but my experience has been the same as what Aibohphobia posted - I can't seem to find a way to connect the Asus USB-C Monitor directly to the DGPU.

Yeah, I am not sure what AquaCow is talking about, but I also believe that is wrong. Here is a video showing greatly degraded performance using a DisplayLink vs Dell monitor:

AcquaCow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 14, 2017
Well, here's video of me doing it in 2016...

I have a razer blade 14in from 2016 with a 970M GPU and it works great.

In the video I was using it on my desktop in windows 10 with a 980Ti.

The only time the performance suffers is if I'm playing video or other non-static content on my main display(s).

-- Dave

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
Well, here's video of me doing it in 2016...

I have a razer blade 14in from 2016 with a 970M GPU and it works great.

In the video I was using it on my desktop in windows 10 with a 980Ti.

The only time the performance suffers is if I'm playing video or other non-static content on my main display(s).

-- Dave

Interesting, what specific model of Asus monitor do you have? Maybe different display link monitors offer different performance?

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
ASUS MB169B+ 15.6" 1920x1080 IPS

Interesting, I wonder if the USB speed matters a great deal here, wonder if USB 2.0 vs 2.0 makes a difference in transfering GPU performance. There is also a USB C version. Might be worth it to try all three, with various controller speeds on the same laptop.