Prototype Oki-Doki : a GPU bifurcation and watercooling dedicated case, from 9 to 14L

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Congrats for that very clean build!
Well done on the heatshrinkless sleeving btw, missed your earlier updates...
Looks like the cooling system is doing its job perfectly, such low temps!
And aesthetically I really like how the thick white panels add a classy touch to the black casing, nice choice! :cool:

Pretty happy about my first sheet metal case !
Indeed, you can be proud of it!

However... ;)
I can't help but notice that the sides holding the rads are slightly bent toward the inside of the case. This is especially obvious on the first pic with the lamp above the case.
That can't be because of the fan sucking the sides in as they are at exhaust! XD
Does that appear after the case bending, how did you proceed for that task?
Or is it coming from your cam maybe?

And the power button looks to be a bit off center, but it should be because of the angle the pic has been taken to...

Finally, looking at the pic from above the case makes me wonder if you could have used the 4th GPU slot (or an added opening next to the power button) to route the cables from the mobo and the GPUs I/O to the inside of the case. And then letting them going out from another opening above the PSU at the back.
That way the cables will not hang from the top along the case, and with some adequate right angles cables (no Displayport available unfortunalety from what I know) they will be quite unnoticeable.
You could even prepare an I/O pannel at the back on top of the PSU with extensions to the top for the motherboard and GPUs connections, like this is usually done for the PSU cable.
Just a thought....

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
Thanks !

Looks like the cooling system is doing its job perfectly, such low temps!

Actually, 55°C on an i7 7700 with two 240 radiators is not that great...
I think the water flow may be a little weak and I don't want the pump to run at full tilt.

I've been studying the possibility to replace the 1/4" ID tubing by the usual 3/8"ID, such as the EK ZMT.

And I found a way !!

Until then, the limiting factor was the CPU WB, an EK Annihilator than only accepts G1/8 fittings.

I later found out that 17 mm high waterblocks paired with Koolance low-profile 90° fittings may work too !

Speaking of the devil, I just received an older EK Supremacy LTX CSQ (brand new for 10€) and just tested it.

It works ! Granted clearance is pretty low... only 1~2 mm between the fitting and PCB components.

10/16 tubing also works but it's tight.

I guess this update will be necessary when I'll move to a more beefy configuration.

I can't help but notice that the sides holding the rads are slightly bent toward the inside of the case. This is especially obvious on the first pic with the lamp above the case.

And the power button looks to be a bit off center, but it should be because of the angle the pic has been taken to...

This is all due to my camera and angle :) or should I say my poor photo skills...

Anyway, all the pieces have been produced very accurately and everything lines up as it should !

Finally, looking at the pic from above the case makes me wonder if you could have used the 4th GPU slot (or an added opening next to the power button) to route the cables from the mobo and the GPUs I/O to the inside of the case. And then letting them going out from another opening above the PSU at the back.

Interesting idea but do you mean routing all the cables inside the case ?

It is already pretty crowded, even with the short GPUs !
I'm trying to keep the inner wires to the minimum to help improving the airflow.

Also trying to keep the case as simple as possible, to avoid unecessary costs.

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Actually, 55°C on an i7 7700 with two 240 radiators is not that great...
I think the water flow may be a little weak and I don't want the pump to run at full tilt.
I've been studying the possibility to replace the 1/4" ID tubing by the usual 3/8"ID
Ok my bad... I'm now eager to see how many °C you are going to save with the increased ID tubing.

This is all due to my camera and angle :) or should I say my poor photo skills...
Anyway, all the pieces have been produced very accurately and everything lines up as it should !
Must be the lens then, an inverted fisheye effect! XD

Interesting idea but do you mean routing all the cables inside the case ?
Yep, visible cables falling down aside the case is the only downside of having the I/O on top IMHO, unless you can hide them between the case and a wall maybe:

(@BishopHaven's DSE Breathe pic)

It is already pretty crowded, even with the short GPUs !
I'm trying to keep the inner wires to the minimum to help improving the airflow.
Airflow is indeed more important. You would then need to find a way to tuck the cables on the case sides to minimize interferences.

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
Actually my computer is placed under my desk so cables are non-issue ! It's actually better this way !
Mouse, keyboard and printer are also plugged to the USB PCB on the bottom right.

So, it is confirmed, I'm moving to 3/8 ID tubing !

I found a way to use larger hoses, with the help of extra 45° and 60° fittings.

@BaK : which Norprene tubing did you use for your NCase build ?

And also found the right waterblock.
The EK could work but safety margin is too small.

I purchased this waterblock from a French company. They are going to sand it town to lower the top height by 2 mm.

Reactions: Elerek

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
Hope not ahah

I have this hose and it kinks real easy due to the thin walls.
Have you been able to use it without springs ?

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
I could because I almost have only straight connections, but I ended up adding a spring to this top tubing:

Especially because that one has to be moved outside the case along with the rad during maintenance and I happened to make it kink when putting it back into the case:

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
Thanks @BaK !

I checked the prices and replacing my whole 1/4 ID system would cost around 150€.
Definitely too expensive for an uncertain outcome.

What I'll do instead :

1. Use a decent fan controller as the onboard PWM controller is not good enough. I think the Aquacomputer Quadro might be the right solution.
2. Find a way to measure the flow.

August

SFF Lingo Aficionado
SFFn Staff
Silver Supporter
Jun 19, 2019
gusmiller.com
What I'll do instead :

1. Use a decent fan controller as the onboard PWM controller is not good enough. I think the Aquacomputer Quadro might be the right solution.

Let me know if you have any questions here! There isn’t a lot of info online. Been enjoying mine quite a bit! ✌️

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
Thanks !

I wouldn't mind the dimensions !

Did you try to calibrate a Flow sensor using AC software ?

I mean to run 4 fans, single or dual pump and a Flow sensor from it.

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016

Final cable management finally done !

Ahah kidding.
I had one hour tops to install both the AquaComputer flow sensor and Quadro controller.

Well, with the pump at 70%, flow is measured @ 0.7 GPM. Not great...

Curious to know whether I'll reach 1 GPM with 1/2 ID tubing.

Anyway, some major build update to come.

Last edited:

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
I just pulled the trigger on that little gem, which layout perfectly matches my vertical case :

No 24-Pin cable needed, 6 USB ports, supports Xeon CPUs and of course PCIe bifurcation.
Only downside : supports only 2242 M.2 drives.

Found myself a cheap used i7 8700 to test it.

FAQBytes

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 22, 2017
Huh, that's a very interesting Mobo. It'd be really interesting to take a closer look to see how they manage to not need a 24 pin connector.

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Dual DDC and 10mm ID tubing : that should solve my flow issue :)
It's probably too late, but that would have been nice if you could have tested the 10mm ID tubing alone first to see its effect on the flow.
Looking forward to see the improvments with your new wc setup!

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
@BaK : I will set the dual pump power low enough to emulate a single pump :)

Still waiting for my CPU waterblock to complete my build though.
Some issues with the top modification...

Reactions: BaK