Prototype Oki-Doki : a GPU bifurcation and watercooling dedicated case, from 9 to 14L

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
Hi there,

I am working on an other more performance-oriented 16L enclosure.

I came up with this concept so far : both radiators are placed into a separate chamber, above the system.
GPUs benefit from a 120mm intake fan, while the hot air is exhausted by a 140mm fan.

What do you think ? Calling @BaK for input :)
My only doubt : radiator fans being 60 mm away, I just can't say for sure if the 120mm fans, configured in PULL position, will disrupt each other flows.

Last edited:

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Hi man, long time no see!

I realised I missed your final pics of oki-doki v3, had to steer away from PC stuff early this year in favor of other things that were forever postponed.
Amazing build, so clean, I really dig the symmetry of the two rads and fans!

I am working on an other more performance-oriented 16L enclosure.
Does it mean you are not fully satisfied with the cooling capability of the actual setup?

I came up with this concept so far : both radiators are placed into a separate chamber, above the system.
Interesting, can you tell us more about your idea and its benefits?

I see two reasons for this seperate chamber
1) having the rads in a cooler place
2) having the rads at intake and not having them blowing warm air where the components are
Right, anything else?

At first look that seems to add a lot of volume to the build, but that's secondary if the cooling is improved I guess.

About the first reason, because of natural convection, why not put the rad chamber at the bottom? Small gain probably...

And for the second, is the air going out of a rad actually really that much hotter? Heat has to go somewhere but I always made the asumptions that it was only a few °C more.
Must depends of the setup, but after a quick search, it turns out the exhaust air can be up to 10°C higher than ambient temp: https://hardforum.com/threads/how-hot-is-the-radiator-exhaust-air.1970981/post-1043918652

Could be worth it then to put the rads in their own chamber!

GPUs benefit from a 120mm intake fan, while the hot air is exhausted by a 140mm fan.
While I see the 120mm bottom intake fan, I wonder where the 140mm is?

My only doubt : radiator fans being 60 mm away, I just can't say for sure if the 120mm fans, configured in PULL position, will disrupt each other flows.
Hard to tell, they are indeed quite close from each other.
Will there be an exhaust fan at the back or only this round opening? Maybe an exhaust fan would draw some of the air before it could interfere with the air of the opposite fan?

Why not switch the fans and rads for a Push intake?
Or even one side intake and the other exhaust?

Thanx for the call btw, I needed some time to think about it before answering.
Even now I think I need more pics to fully understand!
Like is the back top opening where the 140mm fan is going to be located? That means then that the two chambers are not separated and my reason 1) above doesn't stand anymore.
Will there be some airflow on the motherboard?

Reactions: aquelito

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
Hi there,

Thanks a lot for your input, glad to have you onboard !

Does it mean you are not fully satisfied with the cooling capability of the actual setup?

Yes, this is the starting point of my new designs.

Temps with only a 9700K @ 4700 and a RTX 2070 Super were not that good for a dual 240 rad setup.
CPU would reach 95°C after 20 min of OCCT Power.

I first blamed the slim fans then realized that default voltage was around 1.35v... I fiddeled a bit in the BIOS and now I get something like 1.25V.
This is part of the explanation.

However, I still wanted to assess how efficient are the slim Noctua, and if they are to be blamed.

To do so, I've purchased four Phanteks PH-F120MP fans to compare them with the Noctua.
BTW, the Phanteks are amazing fans, you can't hear them at 1000 RPM. And I'm a silence freak.

To compare both fans, I setup a single CPU @stock loop only : a single TX240 radiator, an Aquacomputer Cuplex Kryos and a single DDC pump.

Both fans are set at 1000 RPM and configured as pull this time.

Much to my surprise, there is almost no difference between the 15 mm Noctua and 25 mm Phanteks.

After 20 min of OCCT, there is only 1°C difference on average CPU core temps.

Both fans are inaudible at 1000 RPM, no clicking, no motor noise.

The only thing you can hear is the pump running at 40%. I cannot hear it below 35% though. That's why I'm usually using a dual DDC :)

Phanteks :

Noctua :

To conclude : I guess I'm gonna stick to the slim Noctuas and configure the radiator fans as pull.
One slim Prolimatech 140 fan placed on the front panel will exhaust the hot air.

Last edited:
Reactions: Valantar

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Thanks for the added picture, I was wondering if your latest results were from the new design already!

Temps with only a 9700K @ 4700 and a RTX 2070 Super were not that good for a dual 240 rad setup.
CPU would reach 95°C after 20 min of OCCT Power.
There is this tool that could help drop some °C, but not sure I would have the balls to delid a soldered CPU...

Both fans are set at 1000 RPM and configured as pull this time.
Much to my surprise, there is almost no difference between the 15 mm Noctua and 25 mm Phanteks.
After 20 min of OCCT, there is only 1°C difference on average CPU core temps.
Both fans are inaudible at 1000 RPM, no clicking, no motor noise.
Another proof of the power of the Noctua fans, they are so strong!
Thanks for the comparison test! :thumb:

To conclude : I guess I'm gonna stick to the slim Noctuas and configure the radiator fans as pull.
One slim Prolimatech 140 fan placed on the front panel will exhaust the hot air.
Is it the front side facing the wall that we see on your last pic?
I was actually a bit confused and had to browse back to find another picture of this perforated panel. From what i see there is none except the china factory pic!

Then I found this one

making me think the panel is upside down in your last picture.

Is the 140mm Prolimatech fan going to replace the Noctua one from above (but at exhaust)?
I am wondering how it will deal with so much intake air from the other four fans.
If swapping the rad fans direction is not too difficult, I would try having one side intake / one side exhaust while having the 140 adding fresh air into the case.

Oh and while looking carefully at your case pics I also noticed you have designed the case so that the PSU can go either on the left or on the right side, clever! :)