News NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Launching April 2019

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
That's weird I have a HP Prodesk 800 G3 with a i7-7700 (65W) and a 180W 80 Plus Platinum PSU and it works great, no crashes or shutdowns (don't ask me how it works, I have done the math and the power consumption is near the limit)

The only problem so far is the noise. I am seriously considering the installation of a system fan. I have checked the GPU temp with the ZOTAC Firestorm and it never gets hotter than 69C, so my only theory is that the noise is airflow related.

Adding a fan probably won't help with noise - most of these low profile cards have a MINIMUM fan speed set in BIOS to 40% that the user cannot change. The ASUS 1050ti low profile was the exception to this with a zero RPM fan mode. Sadly the ASUS 1650 low profile (yet to be released) does not make any mention of a zero RPM fan mode :(

On my low profile 1050ti I removed the fan/shroud from the graphics card and installed a pair of 80mm fans connected to a motherboard fan header running at a low speed. I bump up the speed slightly if I'm going to game for a long period of time.

Copernicus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 21, 2019
Here's an oddity: this guy set up a Dell 7040 sff with a Zotac LP 1650. First problem, it only has a 180 watt psu. Apparently he doesn't care, but I doubt that the poor thing will hold up long. Second problem, the x16 slot in this machine is right up against that psu, so only has room available for a single slot card. He solves this problem by plugging the Zotac into the x4 slot next to the x16. Which actually works, though it seems sad. From what he says, the thing does run, at least for the moment...

Reactions: LeandroJVarini

neo_rebu

Cable Smoosher
Jul 31, 2019
Great to know! I was going to suggest powered riser since it could be a power delivery issue on downspecced oem/built up pcs.

Hope all is well.
Okay here are my results from trouble shooting for 2 days.

GTX 1650 LP will not work for SFF 9010 smoothly. Running DX 12 will not work, Open GL works partially, DX9.0c works the best.

Crash Bandicoot Trilogy wont boot and Yooka Laylee will not either.

I'm convinced it does not work on 9010 sff maybe the mini tower.

Reactions: Frung

oguie

Minimal Tinkerer
Sep 6, 2019
I c
On my low profile 1050ti I removed the fan/shroud from the graphics card and installed a pair of 80mm fans connected to a motherboard fan header running at a low speed. I bump up the speed slightly if I'm going to game for a long period of time.

I am not quite ready to remove the fan and shroud from my week old 1650, but it didn't occur to me that the system fan should allow more fine tuning of the speed/temp. Thanks for the advice.

By the way, when I started to experience those temps I checked with a Kill-A-Watt the consumption of my rig and it never exceeds 120 Watts, so I guess it is safe to assume that the noise and the higher wear of the card are the only things I should be worried about.

Frung

Chassis Packer
Mar 1, 2018
Okay here are my results from trouble shooting for 2 days.

GTX 1650 LP will not work for SFF 9010 smoothly. Running DX 12 will not work, Open GL works partially, DX9.0c works the best.

Crash Bandicoot Trilogy wont boot and Yooka Laylee will not either.

I'm convinced it does not work on 9010 sff maybe the mini tower.

Try lowering the power limit to minimum using MSI afterburner, see if that makes a difference

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
I c

I am not quite ready to remove the fan and shroud from my week old 1650, but it didn't occur to me that the system fan should allow more fine tuning of the speed/temp. Thanks for the advice.

By the way, when I started to experience those temps I checked with a Kill-A-Watt the consumption of my rig and it never exceeds 120 Watts, so I guess it is safe to assume that the noise and the higher wear of the card are the only things I should be worried about.
I run a GTX 1050ti and AMD 2400g off a 200w PSU running through a 160W picoPSU without issues, so I'd guess it wouldn't exceed 160w? 120 sound even better!

Reactions: Copernicus

Copernicus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 21, 2019
I run a GTX 1050ti and AMD 2400g off a 200w PSU running through a 160W picoPSU without issues, so I'd guess it wouldn't exceed 160w? 120 sound even better!
Good to hear that you can do that. Still, I personally would check to see how much wattage is being used; I would be nervous running right up against the rated limit for the psu...

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Good to hear that you can do that. Still, I personally would check to see how much wattage is being used; I would be nervous running right up against the rated limit for the psu...

I did a stress test with Prime95+Furmark for a few hours with no issues.
That Meanwell is a medical grade power supply and definitely not running near capacity (200w) the PicoPSUs have proven themselves to be quite reliable little buggers too.

Copernicus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 21, 2019
Not that it means much, but BLT has gotten almost enough pre-orders for LP 1650s to consume all the 44 cards they had coming from Zotac. So, they've now ordered 10 more. They still haven't received a single one, though...

oguie

Minimal Tinkerer
Sep 6, 2019
I have read elsewhere that you can flash the BIOS of the bigger brothers of the LP model in order to override the 40% min fan, but I am afraid to brick my card, maybe in a few months I will try it, cause I have the PC in the living room and the noise ranges from distracting at idle to annoying while gaming.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
I have read elsewhere that you can flash the BIOS of the bigger brothers of the LP model in order to override the 40% min fan, but I am afraid to brick my card, maybe in a few months I will try it, cause I have the PC in the living room and the noise ranges from distracting at idle to annoying while gaming.

I tried doing that with mixed success on my 1050ti because I also read some vague internet posts about it. In one case I successfully flashed and GPU-Z showed the name of a different card but fan control still didn't work. I think it is because the card I flashed had 4 pin PWM control and the LP cards (typically) only have 3 pin fan control.

I tried a different BIOS and definitely didn't work. I had to use my AMD APU as the graphics source to re-flash back to the original BIOS.

I've done some serious shit to the Realan build in my signature... poor little guy.

I'm still holding out for an ASUS 1650 that allows zero-RPM fan mode, but I'm a little skeptical. Either way I'm holding out for some more availability and reviews from the community before pulling the trigger on a model. My 1050ti is enough for the 1080p LAN party gaming I do for now.

Semper 5

Chassis Packer
Feb 5, 2019

I successfully pulled it off on my ZOTAC 1050ti relatively easily (see signature). Made a dramatic difference in noise and the fan control performs perfectly. So I'm going to happily hold onto my modded 1050ti until that sweet ASUS 1650 OC comes out ;)

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
I successfully pulled it off on my ZOTAC 1050ti relatively easily (see signature). Made a dramatic difference in noise and the fan control performs perfectly. So I'm going to happily hold onto my modded 1050ti until that sweet ASUS 1650 OC comes out
Super jealous! Did you use a different Zotac BIOS or something else entirely? I have the Gigabyte 1050ti model.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Yeah, would be nice. AMD really hasn't been prioritizing low-profile cards for years, though. With their emphasis on high-wattage GPUs, I doubt that will change much in the near future either.
I'm afraid of this too, but I keep telling myself "hey its been a while since the 560. C'mon AMD, you've done leaps ahead with your full sized juice-suckers. Give us SFFers something to last for the next 4 years" lol
When enough time passes for RDNA to replace GCN, this will obviously happen seeing just how efficient RDNA is compared to GCN. After all, even with the efficiency-be-damned clocks of the RX 5700 cards they pretty much match Turing in perf/W (albeit with a process node advantage). If AMD makes their smallest RDNA die big enough, they could run it "slow" (say 1700MHz) for some excellent efficiency and make a kick-ass 75W card. Of course at this point this is all wishful thinking, but in time they will undoubtedly let RDNA trickle down to even the very low end. And if current rumors are anything to go by, it's on its way, though the rumored lower midrange Navi 14 (RX 570/580 replacement) will likely be coming out first.

Here's an oddity: this guy set up a Dell 7040 sff with a Zotac LP 1650. First problem, it only has a 180 watt psu. Apparently he doesn't care, but I doubt that the poor thing will hold up long.
Given that the "240W" (17A on the 12V rail, so 204W for all intents and purposes) PSU in my Optiplex 990 handles a "95W" i5-2400 and 150W RX 570, I'm not surprised. I'm working on getting a more powerful PSU in there, but so far it works fine, and pulls about 260W at the wall while gaming which translates to ~175W internal power draw (the PSU has an average efficiency of 65% — yes, it is garbage). That's when playing Rocket League or running Fire Strike. Gaming loads never hammer the CPU, after all, so power draw might not go very high. A 75W GPU and a reasonably efficient CPU should stay well below 180W combined power, even if I wouldn't run OCCT and FurMark on that combo.

Edit: this is the oddest thing ever, this post is about 2x the length in the editor, but only half the text is showing. Strange.
Edit2: Finally figured it out. A single "]" had gotten erased inadvertently. Have to stop posting from my phone.

Last edited:

Semper 5

Chassis Packer
Feb 5, 2019
Super jealous! Did you use a different Zotac BIOS or something else entirely? I have the Gigabyte 1050ti model.

Aha! I actually found exactly where I got the BIOS with instructions, and since I'm such a nice guy I'll share it below:
modded ZOTAC 1050ti BIOS

This will lower the idle fan from 40% to 30% AND give a very slight overclock. Two great things to have and yes that 10% does make a noticeable difference! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: RichterSnipes

RichterSnipes

Trash Compacter
Aug 17, 2019
Aha! I actually found exactly where I got the BIOS with instructions, and since I'm such a nice guy I'll share it below:
modded ZOTAC 1050ti BIOS

This will lower the idle fan from 40% to 30% AND give a very slight overclock. Two great things to have and yes that 10% does make a noticeable difference!
Is there a similar solution for Zotac's GTX 1650 LP? I'd be interested in trying something like this out if it's been proven to work without issue. I've gotten used to the sound outside of 100% load, but I'd still appreciate something like this.

Copernicus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 21, 2019
I've been taking another look around for info on the Asus LP 1650 card today. I don't recall exactly, but it looks to me like they may have added a little more info to their website; in particular, there's a paragraph on the GPU Tweak II utility, including the following sentence:

"Advanced fan control is also included along with many more features to help you get the most out of your graphics card."

Vague, but interesting. Also, Amazon in Japan already has an entry for the card (the overclocked version). They have a somewhat dubious claim that the cards will be available sometime in October (" two to five weeks"). Even more dubious, there is already a review from someone who claims to have one of these cards; I have trouble believing it, and he doesn't have a photo of the card itself, but at least his commentary sounds plausible...

EDIT: BTW, price was 22658 yen ($210).

EDIT 2: My bad, my October estimate was because I was looking at shipping time to the US. Japan has this card in stock today, which is why people are already writing reviews for it! Amazon in Japan and a handful of other shops report having a small number of cards available.

Last edited:

theGryphon

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 15, 2015
ASUS card looks to have a 4-pin fan header on board. Is that a regular 4-pin? If not, is there an adapter anyone knows of, so we can plug case fans on it instead?