Production Nouvolo Steck - SFF 8.7-11.2L ITX PC Case, supports liquid cooling

ron095

Caliper Novice
May 28, 2018
I guess it is inevitable that I have to respond more directly to this at some time, rather than hoping everyone will notice or appreciate some of the differences, which I agree may not be so obvious

I understand your point, I will see what I can adjust. But the advancement I made maybe is more under the hood

After all my main objective is to make a desirable product, and as mentioned before I will not shy away from borrowing ideas from others but I will also try to improve on those. Advancement is different from straight up copying.

I totally understand that and do agree that you're trying to cater to people who may want different features and internal design compared to different cases. But from a marketing and strategy point of view, if the product's design is similar to others, it'll be seen as "basic and generic." At least that's my idea of what could happen. Maybe giving it some aesthetic differences will be a good way to set it apart and attract more attention. But ultimately it's your case and entirely up to you

Also I dont think the Ghost S1 needs to be flipped to install the tophat on the bottom. At least not the review version that was sent to YouTubers. Look up Sweclocker's video on the case, around the 18:30 mark

Reactions: Biowarejak

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Some idea for KS marketing, your feedback is very much appreciated.

As many of you have also noticed, there are always some delays with KS projects. Most of the time is the problem with finding the right manufacturer to produce the product in good quality. There may be issues with design where some concepts are difficult or too costly to implement. There is often some trial and error in the development process.

All the above can hamper a KS project causing backers dissatisfaction. I am planning my KS project and I have this idea:
- creator will pay up front and stock up for the first 100pcs (or some other number) of the product
- the first stock batch will be shipped within 1 month of pledge amount reached (guaranteed?)
- the first stock batch early birds will pay slightly more say 10-20% (in principal near the later on full retail price), for less risk and receiving the product earlier than others

Often creators underestimate all the tiny issues to overcome in order to complete the product. And this may apply to myself also, so I am thinking this can ensure that processes such as sampling, colors, manufacturing tools, stamping die, moulds, etc are ALL complete. This will incur bigger costs to the creator up front. I can't speak for other creators, but I am OK with it if I am compensated for it.

Other backers also face lower risk, as the manufacturing, once successful, is only about repeating the orders/process.

Last edited:

SirJack

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 22, 2018
Some idea for KS marketing, your feedback is very much appreciated.

As many of you have also noticed, there are always some delays with KS projects. Most of the time is the problem with finding the right manufacturer to produce the product in good quality. There may be issues with design where some concepts are difficult or too costly to implement. There is often some trial and error in the development process.

All the above can hamper a KS project causing backers dissatisfaction. I am planning my KS project and I have this idea:
- creator will pay up front and stock up for the first 100pcs (or some other number) of the product
- the first stock batch will be shipped within 1 month of pledge amount reached (guaranteed?)
- the first stock batch early birds will pay slightly more say 10-20% (in principal near the later on full retail price), for less risk and receiving the product earlier than others

Often creators underestimate all the tiny issues to overcome in order to complete the product. And this may apply to myself also, so I am thinking this can ensure that processes such as sampling, colors, manufacturing tools, stamping die, moulds, etc are ALL complete. This will incur bigger costs to the creator up front. I can't speak for other creators, but I am OK with it if I am compensated for it.

Other backers also face lower risk, as the manufacturing, once successful, is only about repeating the orders/process.

This is undoubtedly great for customers. However, I don't know how much kickstarter charges to run a project but if you deem the risks are low enough you can also think about working with sff labs for the second batch instead.

Overall I support this.

ron095

Caliper Novice
May 28, 2018

Your plan sounds solid, but could you elaborate more on this part?

Also, what kind of PCI riser are you planning on using? I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the A4 had issues with cheaper risers.

And how thick will the metal be in the final product?

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Your plan sounds solid, but could you elaborate more on this part?

Also, what kind of PCI riser are you planning on using? I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the A4 had issues with cheaper risers.

And how thick will the metal be in the final product?

- basically you pay more to have the product shipped first to you with the already available stock, comparing to others who have to wait for the product to be produced. i.e. delay will only be the shipping time
- I am using riser card from Li Heat.
- The case thickness is 1.5mm

Last edited:

ron095

Caliper Novice
May 28, 2018
- basically you pay more to have the product shipped first to you with the already available stock, comparing to others who have to wait for the product to be produced. i.e. delay will only be the shipping time
- I am using riser card from Li Heat.
- The case thickness is 1.5mm

Ah, gotcha. I thought it sounded a bit strange that the early bird would cost more than the regular but it makes sense since you plan on fronting the cost for the first batch.

Reactions: macbosco

uniqz

Cable Smoosher
Jun 7, 2018
I am pretty intrigued by this case design. Can the stack units in theory be stacked themselves? Like two stack units above or below the case? That would open up possibilities to do a full custom loop with a thicker radiator - even better if you manage to fit in a 280 like someone suggested earlier. Also it is not really clear to see on the pictures if the PSU sits flush against the front panel or not, if it doesn't, could there be space for 1 or 2 more 2.5" drives?

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
I like this, maybe you can get the cases out before Louqe lol :)
I am pretty intrigued by this case design. Can the stack units in theory be stacked themselves? Like two stack units above or below the case? That would open up possibilities to do a full custom loop with a thicker radiator - even better if you manage to fit in a 280 like someone suggested earlier. Also it is not really clear to see on the pictures if the PSU sits flush against the front panel or not, if it doesn't, could there be space for 1 or 2 more 2.5" drives?
  • Current design can only have 2 stacks, 1 top and 1 bottom. i.e. cannot have multiple stacks on top of each other. The rationale is that the design targets SFF. If it goes bigger, I would just get a bigger case myself ;). And as width stays the same, it may not stand very stable if it goes too tall
  • Same for 280mm rad, current length is about 315mm, it would need to be >330mm in order to fit that in.
  • there is about 10mm space between the PSU and the front panel, BUT it is space reserved for the power switch circuit board :( . In any case that part of the case is very difficult to access. It can serve as extra space to tuck in the cables from the PSU. The front panel is actually part of the case structure, unlike many others that is just a cosmetic cover.

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
I backed the Ghost S1 and I'm all for this prototype. Just make sure to talk to us and not leave us behind like PaChalski and their team did.
Well I feel for them, it would certainly be easier if the project faced less hiccups. At the end of the day shipping the product is the most important. It is hard for marketing and communications to do much if there is a genuine problem.

You know what, it takes 2 weeks to complete one round of sampling. It usually takes at least 2-3 sampling to get things ready for bulk run. Another 2-4 weeks for dies. So it takes at least 3 months to start manufacturing on a best scenario basis. It can take 4-5 months easily until delivery even if things go perfect smooth.

Soon I realize that it's not very attractive to have backers wait 6 months for a product, not to mention all the dissatisfaction that may come with it. That's why I am planning to pay up front the first batch run, so that I can ensure I get to "communicate" more good news than bad ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Ca11idus

uniqz

Cable Smoosher
Jun 7, 2018
  • Current design can only have 2 stacks, 1 top and 1 bottom. i.e. cannot have multiple stacks on top of each other. The rationale is that the design targets SFF. If it goes bigger, I would just get a bigger case myself ;). And as width stays the same, it may not stand very stable if it goes too tall

I understand, if it is a design limitation, but one stack on top and one on the bottom would be the same height as two stacks on the bottom or the top. As to getting a bigger case, isn't that kinda the idea of the stacks to choose your own size? It is your project and your choice what it can and can't do but there is a serious lack of true SFF cases that can support radiators with the capacity to cool a high end system with some OC in a quiet (and good looking) manner. The new Chimera Mach One might be an option for that but it doesn't need to be the only one.

If it is not that much of a hassle to make the stacks work on top of each other, I would consider that option if I was you. More choice and modularity is always a good idea if it doesn't make the product worse.

• Same for 280mm rad, current length is about 315mm, it would need to be >330mm in order to fit that in.

Fair enough, that is too much of a size change. I was just wondering because you wrote earlier in this thread that you would look into it but then didn't adress it again (or I am blind and haven't seen it)

• there is about 10mm space between the PSU and the front panel, BUT it is space reserved for the power switch circuit board :( . In any case that part of the case is very difficult to access. It can serve as extra space to tuck in the cables from the PSU. The front panel is actually part of the case structure, unlike many others that is just a cosmetic cover.

So in theory there is space for 2.5" drives, at least normal sized SSDs with 7mm thickness. How large is the circuit board? I don't want to bug you with this but after all SFF is about cramming as much hardware as possible in a very compact case so I'm just thinking about the possibilities.

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
I understand, if it is a design limitation, but one stack on top and one on the bottom would be the same height as two stacks on the bottom or the top. As to getting a bigger case, isn't that kinda the idea of the stacks to choose your own size? It is your project and your choice what it can and can't do but there is a serious lack of true SFF cases that can support radiators with the capacity to cool a high end system with some OC in a quiet (and good looking) manner. The new Chimera Mach One might be an option for that but it doesn't need to be the only one.

I understand, so maybe I should offer a thicker stack for thicker (240mm) radiators? Add multiple stacks is very good idea. I just wonder if instead I offer different heights stacks, will that be ok? I am also a bit concern about too many joint lines (/w multiple stacks) affecting the aesthetics.

SirJack

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 22, 2018
I understand, so maybe I should offer a thicker stack for thicker (240mm) radiators? Add multiple stacks is very good idea. I just wonder if instead I offer different heights stacks, will that be ok? I am also a bit concern about too many joint lines (/w multiple stacks) affecting the aesthetics.

I think you right about multiple stacks not looking as good. Maybe if we have 2 sizes for stack units, one for 55mm rad fan combos and one for 85mm rad fan combos?

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
I think you right about multiple stacks not looking as good. Maybe if we have 2 sizes for stack units, one for 55mm rad fan combos and one for 85mm rad fan combos?

I will add another option for 90mm height stack unit. Should be ok when launch in KS, backers pick which size they want. I plan to include 1 stack as a bundle. Will officially add this to the specification

But I have a question, can anyone suggest how I should accommodate for the reservoir and pump? 85mm rad is usually not AIO, which means that water block/pump/reservoir are separate? Space is certainly tight ;)

Where's the pump for this?

Something like this?

Last edited:

Sebbie

Trash Compacter
Apr 5, 2016
I will add another option for 90mm height stack unit. Should be ok when launch in KS, backers pick which size they want. I plan to include 1 stack as a bundle. Will officially add this to the specification

But I have a question, can anyone suggest how I should accommodate for the reservoir and pump? 85mm rad is usually not AIO, which means that water block/pump/reservoir are separate? Space is certainly tight ;)

Where's the pump for this?

Something like this?

The pump is under the PSU. a DDC Pump

SirJack

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 22, 2018
They mounted a rather small DDC unit under the PSU

I think phanteks has a slim DDC pump Res combo that can fit under the PSU cables. I'll link later.