MxP12

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Oct 11, 2018
Hi everyone. I am currently in the process of a new build. I already acquired my GPU (ASUS RTX 2080Ti Dual OC), pre-ordered my CPU (intel i9 9900k) and was planning to build it into a really compact case with decent enough cooling for some overclocking. I also have a samsung 970 pro for my storage and am planning to order the asus ROG itx z390 motherboard. I really love how compact the Dan A4 is but unfortunately, my GPU is a 2.7 slot card and the asetek 545 has been discontinued so cooling might be an issue. I am currently looking at the Ncase M1 and was hoping to get some advise regarding compatibility with my parts as well as cooling and the proper memory considering the heatsink height. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Maybe ask questions in the NCases forums on the site to get a more focused audience for your question. Please also peruse the build logs section to see if anybody has built something close to what you are wanting to achieve.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Hi everyone. I am currently in the process of a new build. I already acquired my GPU (ASUS RTX 2080Ti Dual OC), pre-ordered my CPU (intel i9 9900k) and was planning to build it into a really compact case with decent enough cooling for some overclocking. I also have a samsung 970 pro for my storage and am planning to order the asus ROG itx z390 motherboard. I really love how compact the Dan A4 is but unfortunately, my GPU is a 2.7 slot card and the asetek 545 has been discontinued so cooling might be an issue. I am currently looking at the Ncase M1 and was hoping to get some advise regarding compatibility with my parts as well as cooling and the proper memory considering the heatsink height. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you

Check out this post on [H]ard, he was able to fit an EVGA 2080 XC Ultra with no problem which is a 2.75 width card. I would also recommend the same cooling he has which is a Noctua NH-U9S or Noctua NH-D9L both work very well in the M1. Couple that with the 120mm side intake fan and you get very good cooling for the motherboard.

MxP12

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Oct 11, 2018
Check out this post on [H]ard, he was able to fit an EVGA 2080 XC Ultra with no problem which is a 2.75 width card. I would also recommend the same cooling he has which is a Noctua NH-U9S or Noctua NH-D9L both work very well in the M1. Couple that with the 120mm side intake fan and you get very good cooling for the motherboard.

Thanks. That is really helpful. I was actually about to order the Noctua NH-D9L but then you mentioned that the NH-U9S works as well so I might get that. Also, do you think I should stick with low profile DDR4s like the vengeance LPX or would the Trident Z work? Thanks again

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Thanks. That is really helpful. I was actually about to order the Noctua NH-D9L but then you mentioned that the NH-U9S works as well so I might get that. Also, do you think I should stick with low profile DDR4s like the vengeance LPX or would the Trident Z work? Thanks again

Noctua's site states it does not overhang ram slots on Intel boards so ram with tall heatsinks are compatible.

You can see in this pic that it does not overhang the ram slots.

MxP12

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Oct 11, 2018
Thank you! Most of my parts have arrived already and I'm just waiting for Intel to get their act together and ship the new processors

MPP

Cable Smoosher
Sep 11, 2017
What CPU temperatures do you get at i9-9900K with Noctua NH-D9L / NH-U9S cooling?
I have a Noctua NH-D9L and I'm thinking about buying an i9-9900K if cooling will be enough. If not then I will buy i7-9700K.