ncase m1 build check

martinmacfly

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Sep 8, 2019
Hi Guys,
since the release of the ncase m1 v6 is around the corner i am thinking about my first sff build.
I am planning to build a hackintosh / windows combo with following components:

CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K
GPU: AMD Radeon VII
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 I AORUS PRO WiFi
Cooling: NZXT Kraken X52 240 mm - All-In-One
Power: Corsair SF600 80 Plus Platinum
SSD: 1 or 2 Samsung SATA SSD 860 EVO 1 TB

What do you think about this setup? Are there better suggestions for cooling?

And one thing that i am pretty unsure is the Memory/RAM:
The Gigabyte Z390 has 4 Slots for DDR4 Memory and i am wondering if the space inside the ncase m1 is enough to house 4xddr4 memory next to the power supply?
All builds i saw feature only 2x ddr..?

Would appreciate suggestions if you have experience with the ncase m1

cheers,
martin

martinmacfly

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Sep 8, 2019
The ITX version of the board definitely only has two RAM slots.

oh snap, you're right. the amazon product image was wrong...
thanks for the info!

what about the cooling? do you think there is a better option available?
any recommendation on ram manufacturers?

EndEffeKt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 23, 2019
Are you sure that you want to go with the Radeon VII? (Although you already got it...) I am not quite sure, but maybe the 5700xt works for a hackintosh too.

My next Ryzen build gets Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 3000 Cl 15 because its fast Micron E-Die for few bucks.

Reactions: martinmacfly

martinmacfly

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Sep 8, 2019
Are you sure that you want to go with the Radeon VII? (Although you already got it...) I am not quite sure, but maybe the 5700xt works for a hackintosh too.

My next Ryzen build gets Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 3000 Cl 15 because its fast Micron E-Die for few bucks.
Haven't bought the individual components yet.. why would you suggest the 5700xt? The plan is to use the GPU mainly for 3D renderings and modeling.

EndEffeKt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 23, 2019
Depends on the use case I think. If you need that 16gb hbm2 then the Radeon VII is a beast for productivity. The 5700xt is 250 dollars cheaper and deliveres a better or equivalent gaming performance. Thats why I mentioned it.

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Jul 31, 2019
look for benchmarks around the web, maybe puget systems web has something about your render app.

I say it because for example, in my case, I use v-ray for rendering and AMD cards are not supported, so they are not even an option.

martinmacfly

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Sep 8, 2019
Since later this year Octane X will be released with Mac Support, this will open up new possibilities with AMD cards :)
Just looking for a setup that can do both windows and mac, without too much compromises.

martinmacfly

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Sep 8, 2019
Becarefull though, the motherboard vrm may not enough to handle 9900k
thanks for the heads up. how do i determine if this is an issue? i just found this reddit post adressing the comination of cpu & mainboard:
it is kinda hard to find a itx mainboard with a type-e header for usb-c front panel support that is compatible with OSX. Any suggestions?

zTinTinz

Minimal Tinkerer
Sep 9, 2019
Yes, i also recommend asus z390i, atleast it has better vrm than gigabyte.
Or you can just forget the type-e header and go with asrock board, it's currently the best itx board for intel

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Jul 31, 2019

You can use this adaptor, although it will work at usb 3.0 speeds I guess