Cooling Noctua "Black Out" Chromax Line

Dawelio

Awesomeness
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
On the subject of the higher RPM 92mm fan does anyone know what would be a better swap for my L9a? The Noctua NF-A9x14 HS-PWM has an airflow of 57,5 m³/h, while the Noctua NF-A9 PWM has an airflow of 78,9 m³/h.

Do keep in mind that the NF-A9x14 is a slim fan at 14mm. The NF-A9 is full 25mm in width. Hence generally being able to push more air, although those specifications are generally measured at the fans top speed. Ie, not the speed you most likely would/will be running on a daily basis and hence isn't that much of a valid point to go after.

ExplodingWaffle101

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 11, 2018
On the subject of the higher RPM 92mm fan does anyone know what would be a better swap for my L9a? The Noctua NF-A9x14 HS-PWM has an airflow of 57,5 m³/h, while the Noctua NF-A9 PWM has an airflow of 78,9 m³/h.
in addition: the more important thing for heatsinks is static pressure.
also also: the fan the l9i comes with is 2500rpm already

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017

Just posted on reddit.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
This is the l9a, not the l9i
Exactly. Apparently alot of AMD users have been buying the L9i and using the AM4 mounting bracket, but there were apparently issues with the screws stripping when trying to remove them. This will solve that.

Damascus

Master of Cramming
Feb 27, 2018
Okay and your question is what exactly?... They are almost identical, one is slightly taller/longer than the other and both have launched in my country.
What country are you from? I follow the newsletter and semi regularly speak with noctua support, and this is the very first time I've seen the l9a edition

Reactions: rfarmer

Lone

King of Cable Management
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Exactly. Apparently alot of AMD users have been buying the L9i and using the AM4 mounting bracket, but there were apparently issues with the screws stripping when trying to remove them. This will solve that.

I had this issue with mine, but ultimately it came down to user error. I was lazy and tried using the wrong size screwdriver. Using the correct size screwdriver I was able to undo the screws, even though the heads were partially stripped. Noctua was kind enough to send me replacement screws. :)

Reactions: Dawelio and rfarmer

Damascus

Master of Cramming
Feb 27, 2018
oh true that, my bad. I forgot there were 2 of them.

the L9a has performance advantage over the L9i + adapter? did anyone tried that yet?
Yeah, I've seen other people get a 5c improvement, but I'm skeptical towards the universality of that result.

Reactions: owliwar

Mackan

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 2, 2016
Week is almost over, so tomorrow they launch the L9A Chromax? No, probably not... Can't even get hold of their new slim chromax fans even though they launched 2 months ago.

Reactions: owliwar