S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

Creep

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 2, 2017
Received some 6-32 x 1/4 torx screws today for my S4 Mini. I haven't test fit any yet since the side panels are at the powder coat shop and the existing screws are at home, but at first glance it seems like the head might be a little too big. We'll see.
The telephoto lens on this iPhone X is damn good for macro!

Interested to see how they fit. I'm looking for outer case screws as well since my side panels have also been powdercoated. I have some but they have a sheen to them and a few are slightly stripped so I'm attempting to replace them.

Reactions: Biowarejak

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Broke down and grabbed the titan cpu cooler as well as the nexus/cooljag falcon II, I have a scythe 120 slim, should I ALSO get a lowpro 80mm for the titan? Thoughts on the noctua slim 120 as well?
welcome to the family! you didn't "break down" you've stepped up, in the search for lower temps! :D no thoughts on the lopro for the titan, just use the NHL9i's fan, and I'd get the slim 120 if you dont have it yet, its worth a try i think.

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
isnt the noctua fan 92mm and the titan built for an 80mm fan though?
yes but the 80mm fan seems to be kinda small on top of that Titan TTC-NC25/HS... and the metal fan brackets SHOULD fit the NF-A9x14 from the NHL9i... I'll try to test it once I get it. I've got 2 spares of the official Premium 2500RPM NF-A9x14's form Noctua for my GTX 1080 fan mod lying around for now unused.

Good news though guys (PART1) I contacted dpie.com about this VLP DDR4 RAM from Innodisk (with Samsung IC) that they have (supported on the i7-7700k)... and I got this response:

Any opinions on this pricing from any of you guys who've gotten this VLP DDR4 already? Is that price of $247 for ONE stick of 16GB? DAMN. Should I wait to hear back directly from Innodisk on their pricing first?

Good news (PART 2) My Noctua 120x15mm NF-A12x15 slim, and the Prolimatech 120x15 slim came in today:

Noctua totally wins the packaging competition though:

Good news (PART 3) after contacting Noctua Directly about my 1080 mini fan mod and requesting 2 NHL9i fans from Noctua, their CEO was shown the idea and loved it, and approved the sale to me. And so 2 weeks ago my 2x Premium (2500 RPM) NF-A9x14 PWM's came in, and they threw in a FREE 4-pin y-splitter and Extension (including a special "limited edition" orange/brown Noctua rubber band):

So now I'm just waiting for my Grade C Black Wrap around for that 1080 mini mod, and the Titan TTC-NC25/HS to come in so i can try to make my S4 mini EVEN COOLER and quieter! :D

That reminds me i need to buy some extra small black zip ties to do that 1080 mini fan mod.

Last edited:

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
yes but the 80mm fan seems to be kinda small on top of that Titan TTC-NC25/HS... and the metal fan brackets SHOULD fit the NF-A9x14 from the NHL9i... I'll try to test it once I get it. I've got 2 spares of the official Premium 2500RPM NF-A9x14's form Noctua for my GTX 1080 fan mod lying around for now unused.

Good news though guys (PART1) I contacted dpie.com about this VLP DDR4 RAM from Innodisk (with Samsung IC) that they have (supported on the i7-7700k)... and I got this response:

Any opinions on this pricing from any of you guys who've gotten this VLP DDR4 already? Is that price of $247 for ONE stick of 16GB? DAMN. Should I wait to hear back directly from Innodisk on their pricing first?

Good news (PART 2) My Noctua 120x15mm NF-A12x15 slim, and the Prolimatech 120x15 slim came in today:

Noctua totally wins the packaging competition though:

Good news (PART 3) after contacting Noctua Directly about my 1080 mini fan mod and requesting 2 NHL9i fans from Noctua, their CEO was shown the idea and loved it, and approved the sale to me. And so 2 weeks ago my 2x Premium (2500 RPM) NF-A9x14 PWM's came in, and they threw in a FREE 4-pin y-splitter and Extension (including a special "limited edition" orange/brown Noctua rubber band):

So now I'm just waiting for my Grade C Black Wrap around for that 1080 mini mod, and the Titan TTC-NC25/HS to come in so i can try to make my S4 mini EVEN COOLER and quieter! :D

That reminds me i need to buy some extra small black zip ties to do that 1080 mini fan mod.
Oh boy, now I feel like I should contact companies about my mod ideas :p

Reactions: VegetableStu

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
But isnt the Innodisk RAM I linked to in my post, labeled as non-ECC?

Works fine with both AMD and Intel. On mainstream Intel, they'll run in non-ECC mode. You can even overclock the memory and tighten the timings. On AMD, at least with Ryzen, they'll run with ECC enabled. Manual timings on AMD are recommended. I can post mine later. Always check the specifications for your motherboard, regardless of my experience.
wait so is that RAM i linked to from dpie.com truly Non-ECC, like will it work with my i7-7700k and z270i board?
im confused, @slimjim mentioned Crucial RAM where the one i linked is Innodisk RAM with Samsung IC's

Reactions: VegetableStu

slimjim

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 5, 2017
So I contaced thermalright and got this message back:

"
Please provide your purchase receipt, name , phone number and address.

SO I can check which version AXP you got.

We got two different option to install the Ryzen, one is with our backplate and the other one is with Ryzen backplate.

Which one will you prefer for it?
"

I have no idea about the backplates, anyone got a clue? I also hope they will sell me the mounting hardware separate from the cooler that it supposed to go with....

Last edited:

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
It sounds like they have brackets for the AXP cooler that use the backplate that comes with your motherboard (Ryzen backplate) or a custom backplate that they manufacture.

Using the original backplate that comes with the motherboard may be easier and avoid any compatibility issues with the back of your board.

Just my thoughts. Maybe they can send pics of each to help make the decision?

Spacepope94

Cable Smoosher
Nov 6, 2017
So I contaced thermalright and got this message back:

"
Please provide your purchase receipt, name , phone number and address.

SO I can check which version AXP you got.

We got two different option to install the Ryzen, one is with our backplate and the other one is with Ryzen backplate.

Which one will you prefer for it?
"

I have no idea about the backplates, anyone got a clue? I also hope they will sell me the mounting hardware separate from the cooer that it supposed to go with....

That's what I was worried about too. I found one of the kits on amazon (universal BKT) it looks like it is the one with their backplate. I hope it works works with the Cooljag.

Felidire

Cable Smoosher
Oct 29, 2017
I see I'm a bit late to the party. I'm planning a new build and trying to throw together a list before Black Friday.
Do you guys think I could cram all of this into the case?

S4 Mini + 2D Open Bezel
ASRock X299E-ITX/ac
RAM: 4x 16GB Ripjaws 4 SODIMM DDR4 (F4-3000C15Q-16GRR (H:40mm))
CPU: i9-7900X w/ Bitspower MonoBlock ASRX299EI (BP-WBMASRX299EI (117x104.6x30.17mm))
GPU: ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Mini (ZT-P10810G-10P)
- 1x Samsung 960 EVO 500 GB M.2 (OS)
- 1x Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 (Scratch Drive)
- 2x Samsung 850 PRO 2TB 2.5" SSD (RAID 1)

I wish it had DIMM slots, as I already have 4x16GB on hand, and they're about 34mm. The SODIMM ripjaws are about 40mm, so I'm wondering if I should just have two small holes in the case above the CPU for the tubes to dangle out, and a fan attached to the exterior (might make it look more "manly"? XD)
Only problem is that https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/DrtVM8 recommends >500W, and the highest DC-DC I've seen is 400W?

slimjim

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 5, 2017
I see I'm a bit late to the party. I'm planning a new build and trying to throw together a list before Black Friday.
Do you guys think I could cram all of this into the case?

S4 Mini + 2D Open Bezel
ASRock X299E-ITX/ac
RAM: 4x 16GB Ripjaws 4 SODIMM DDR4 (F4-3000C15Q-16GRR (H:40mm))
CPU: i9-7900X w/ Bitspower MonoBlock ASRX299EI (BP-WBMASRX299EI (117x104.6x30.17mm))
GPU: ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Mini (ZT-P10810G-10P)
- 1x Samsung 960 EVO 500 GB M.2 (OS)
- 1x Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 (Scratch Drive)
- 2x Samsung 850 PRO 2TB 2.5" SSD (RAID 1)

I wish it had DIMM slots, as I already have 4x16GB on hand, and they're about 34mm. The SODIMM ripjaws are about 40mm, so I'm wondering if I should just have two small holes in the case above the CPU for the tubes to dangle out, and a fan attached to the exterior (might make it look more "manly"? XD)
Only problem is that https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/DrtVM8 recommends >500W, and the highest DC-DC I've seen is 400W?

that's pushing it to the extreme, I really dont see how you can keep this rig cool but you can contact gury and ask for his ultimate power adapter kit and hope for the best I guess.

EDIT:
I really think an NCASE would be better for something like this.