Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
This was before skyreach. With skyreach point no.1 about dropping the wrap around bezel is done now, and with sfflab partnering I hope no.2 is also done.

I really don't think you can just 'convert' a metal model to a plastic and acryllic model without proper prototyping. Just with all those vents all around and motherboard back support being that thin, a plastic/acryllic model would have to be thicker to be structurally sound.

Besides, I'd say some of these niche are already filled by others, like lazer3d's own HT5 and CC Riser's thin itx console.

Reactions: Biowarejak

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
This was before skyreach. With skyreach point no.1 about dropping the wrap around bezel is done now, and with sfflab partnering I hope no.2 is also done.

I really don't think you can just 'convert' a metal model to a plastic and acryllic model without proper prototyping. Just with all those vents all around and motherboard back support being that thin, a plastic/acryllic model would have to be thicker to be structurally sound.

Besides, I'd say some of these niche are already filled by others, like lazer3d's own HT5 and CC Riser's thin itx console.
Yes, but are they affordable? The HT5, in my opinion, is heavily overpriced for what it is, and the Thin-X seems to be good, but is also expensive.

If only they released files to the public :)

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
It's hard to sell them cheap when volume and demand is still low. And I've already tried to cram as many parts as possible into an order of cut sheets within my budget. I still have two cases left but not unaccounted for :)

Also, due to the nature of 3D printing, it's actually almost impossible to get bulk discounts for 3D printed parts.

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
We usually judge the things we don't give value as overpriced. I think Apple is, in my opinion, a bit overpriced. but if they gave you the plans for their products, would you be able to build one? only they afford to do what they do, and that has a cost.
Obviously when we start talking about 'simpler' products, we get the idea that 'it would be cheaper doing this myself'
and honestly, it its.

there is almost unlimited access to documentation and guides on the internet for free. I'd recommend you getting to learn fusion 360, as its a free app for startups and students and its really good tool for learning cad design, and its parametric implementation has such a easy learning curve! its an awesome app for people to share projects and colaborate.
for what I understand you live in the US, right? it should be easy finding a fablab where it would be really cheap to cut a case out of mdf or acrylics. after the first case it gets a lot faster, and documenting this could be awesome as it would teach people to mod your project in the end as well

running a business costs money, but I'm sure you'll find a way to keep your hobbies going

peace

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
also,
the first case I designed is availabe for non-comercial use
It uses quite a lot of mdf and its almost 30Liters but I love it so much.
I used this case for almost 2 years before it falled appart. but hey
everyone has a start, right?
https://sophialasercut.wordpress.com/make-yours/
Thanks!

Once I git gud, would you be willing to work on a case with me?

I personally use Inkscape currently.

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
We usually judge the things we don't give value as overpriced. I think Apple is, in my opinion, a bit overpriced. but if they gave you the plans for their products, would you be able to build one? only they afford to do what they do, and that has a cost.
Obviously when we start talking about 'simpler' products, we get the idea that 'it would be cheaper doing this myself'
and honestly, it its.

there is almost unlimited access to documentation and guides on the internet for free. I'd recommend you getting to learn fusion 360, as its a free app for startups and students and its really good tool for learning cad design, and its parametric implementation has such a easy learning curve! its an awesome app for people to share projects and colaborate.
for what I understand you live in the US, right? it should be easy finding a fablab where it would be really cheap to cut a case out of mdf or acrylics. after the first case it gets a lot faster, and documenting this could be awesome as it would teach people to mod your project in the end as well

running a business costs money, but I'm sure you'll find a way to keep your hobbies going

peace
Thank you! I've been seeing people complaining about costs lately and it's worn me down. Simply put, it's rude to ask a creator to lower the cost because it doesn't fit what you believe it to be worth. There's a cost to doing business and making sure each case comes out nicely, reflected in the price of the product. Not to mention that many of these creators have mouths to feed and still have to rely on other sources of income. Sigh.

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Thank you! I've been seeing people complaining about costs lately and it's worn me down. Simply put, it's rude to ask a creator to lower the cost because it doesn't fit what you believe it to be worth. There's a cost to doing business and making sure each case comes out nicely, reflected in the price of the product. Not to mention that many of these creators have mouths to feed and still have to rely on other sources of income. Sigh.
Am I one of those complainy people ;)

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Yes, but are they affordable? The HT5, in my opinion, is heavily overpriced for what it is, and the Thin-X seems to be good, but is also expensive.

If only they released files to the public :)

I'm sorry but I'm not going to release the files of either the LZ7 or HT5 to the public, that may come across as rude or selfish, but as I'm trying to build a business around manufacturing these products and designing new ones, it would be against my interest to do so. Thank you for your understanding.

As others have pointed out, the value of a product is not just the sum of the materials and manufacturing costs, but also the time, energy and costs spent in developing the product in the first place, the logistics of bringing it to market, the background costs of actually running a business, and not to mention the taboo subject of trying to make an actual profit (how dare he!!!).

It would indeed be cheaper for you to make these cases yourself, but I suggest that you invest some of your own time into learning the skills to design your own case instead of asking for someone to hand over years of development work for free so that you can shave 25% off the cost of the product by making it yourself.

Sorry if that came across a bit harsh, but as @Biowarejak mentions, complaints about pricing start to wear you down after a while, especially when you are trying your hardest to keep the price as low as possible yet still being a worthwhile venture.

Believe me, I wish I could sell these products for half the cost or less, I know and appreciate the prices are high.

Also, due to the nature of 3D printing, it's actually almost impossible to get bulk discounts for 3D printed parts.

Most I've managed to negotiate was a 10% discount, but that was on a pretty big order!

That is very true indeed, the profits I've seen so far from Lazer3D is no where near representative of the amount of time and effort I've put in, probably around the equivalent of less than £1 per hour if you count the development time as well. Hopefully that will change over time.

Am I one of those complainy people ;)

Maybe, but then I'm doing the same back at ya, ha ha! XD

Aux

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 5, 2018
@Aibohphobia Good point. But maybe they have higher margins. Did they ever post the cost breakdown?

They did, but I dont remember where I saw it . . there is so much text on the sentry. They were very comprehensive on their communication.

they said on a 195 usd case

31% metal
19% components
3.2% transport and storage
4.2% facility
7.6% staff
5% indiegogo
5% paypal
5% future development
10% warranty
10% profit

but as they said and Josh said, this doesnt really reflect or reward all the work they put in designing it and customer relations. As they said, it was a hobby for them.

If you estimate the time (both Josh and Dr Zaber brothers) they must have put in developing these cases, I doubt you could cover that with the profits . . .
I know I have put in five months of weekends and nights to get my design to its 8th iteration

Aux

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 5, 2018
really there is no labour costs for the brothers time in this costing at all, as they stated. If you had to make a business case (pun not intended) for it in front of investors, you would be laughed out of the room

Reactions: Biowarejak