Discussion Question regarding demand for 3D printed case designs.

Viccroy

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Apr 2, 2023
Hey guys, I've been anonymously browsing the SFF forums for years now, but I recently decided to join, because I have a simple question.
Over the last 2 years I've experimented with 3D design and printing, teching myself the necessary skills required to become proficient. In doing so I've come up with 3 designs for fully 3d printable SFF cases that, if printed on a fairly decent 3d printer, would end up looking rather pleasing (ex: prusa mk3/mk3s/mk4/xl).
My question is: how much would people be willing to pay for STLs of such designs, and if required, how much would people be willing to pay for a full kit?
To aid with the "estimation", I've attached a photo of my most recent design, which I'm currently using; a 5.5L mITX case with a few QOL additions.

5.5L mITX Case

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
Look at the Yocto. I would say a pure 3d case for sale isn't going to be profitable, but combining materials for differentiation is a successful strategy. N3rdware uses 3d prints with a brass baseplate and feet, giving it a more premium feel, weight, and style.

At present, there are too many STL's that one can grab on the internet. They might not be of the greatest quality, but free is free.

Reactions: robbee and rfarmer

Viccroy

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Apr 2, 2023
So I guess my best bet would be to sell kits and let the people enjoy the lego experience :)

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Being involved in both the 3d printing community and case building community for a couple of years now, I've learned one thing: people who print, don't like to pay for files and are not a good audience to sell to.

Selling kits imho will indeed have a much higher chance at succes. Just realize that you're going to have to find a unique selling point. Plastic cases will need something to compete against metal cases as it has a worse starting ground.

Viccroy

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Apr 2, 2023
The demand for 3D printed case intents for the most part depends on the object audience and the applications programme of the guinea pig . For case, 3D printed instances secondhand for consumer electronics such as phones and pills are likely to be sir thomas more popular than 3D printed cases secondhand for industrial or checkup applications . Additionally, 3D printed cases designed with a specific aesthetic appeal are likely to be sir thomas more popular than those intentional for basic functionality . Furthermore, the monetary value of the 3D printed compositor's cases will be crucial cistron in determinative the demand . If the monetary value is too high, then the demand may be depress . Ultimately, the demand for 3D printed compositor's case designs will depend on the specific application and the target hearing.
I somewhat understood what you meant, but I almost had a stroke trying to read what you wrote.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
So I guess my best bet would be to sell kits and let the people enjoy the lego experience :)

From look & feel POV, do consider nylon, and if temperature permits, resin.

To add value, you can also consider additional finishing service (sanding etc).

Good luck.

Reactions: Viccroy

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Being involved in both the 3d printing community and case building community for a couple of years now, I've learned one thing: people who print, don't like to pay for files and are not a good audience to sell to.

Selling kits imho will indeed have a much higher chance at succes. Just realize that you're going to have to find a unique selling point. Plastic cases will need something to compete against metal cases as it has a worse starting ground.
Yeah, I've had some modest sales with selling case design files on Cults3D, but nothing to write home about. I eventually made them free to download.

I second on a hybrid approach with the materials. Then you have more options for appearance. Lazer3D also sold cases as combination of 3D printed and laser cut materials, which allowed a greater degree of customization. (they now replaced 3D printing with CNC'd metal for the join pieces. Either for added sturdiness, a more professional look, or both)

Reactions: Phuncz

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Yeah, I've had some modest sales with selling case design files on Cults3D, but nothing to write home about. I eventually made them free to download.

I second on a hybrid approach with the materials. Then you have more options for appearance. Lazer3D also sold cases as combination of 3D printed and laser cut materials, which allowed a greater degree of customization. (they now replaced 3D printing with CNC'd metal for the join pieces. Either for added sturdiness, a more professional look, or both)
A little off topic, but this is good advise for the original question too. You might have more success with Printables vs Cults. There's a ton of ire towards Cults in the 3D printing world, especially on reddit.

Reactions: Phuncz