NFC S4 Mini #083 - Safety Orange

rokabeka

network packet manipulator
Original poster
Jul 9, 2016
yeeee bay area represent
hell yeah! :) are you around, too?

Pleased to hear that your presentation was well-received, and that you'll be able to buy more cases from @Josh | NFC .
both things made me happy, too. I wish I could buy 100 from Josh, but 5 is also better than nothing :)

ohhhhhhhhhhh :D
I do not deserve it. but greatly appreciate it, thank you Josh! It will be fun to populate 5 Skyreach Minis! Can't wait officially order them!

Reactions: Biowarejak

Testwerke

Trash Compacter
Oct 18, 2017
Curious about DPDK. What real-world applications have you seen DPDK used? I see that it can do speedy raw packet processing, but what environments have/can benefit from it?

Reactions: Biowarejak

rokabeka

network packet manipulator
Original poster
Jul 9, 2016
actually there are many. loads of software router solutions are based on DPDK and/or FD.io. they are not really known because mostly used by e.g. service providers like Verizon, Orange, T-Mobile, but iirc even Netflix uses it for some VNFs.

DPDK is not magic. I would say this is a collection of wisely written libraries and functions. originally the intention was to get rid of PCIe transaction overhead and they did a pretty damn nice job there, mostly by batching. on top of it the architecture dependent (or if you will the ones depend on the supported instruction set) functions are also pretty efficient. the other big deal is the poll mode driver. the most common NICs (and some unique ones, too) have a driver where receiving packets are not triggered by interrupts but instead a tight loop is checking if there are any new packets arrived. the advantage of this solution is the pretty low latency and better efficiency (got rid of overhead of interrupts). but there is no free lunch, so you basically sacrifice a whole CPU core for this job because in order to squeeze the highest possible packet rate from the system you also might want to make this core pinned, isolated and dedicated.

so basically if you are on x86 and you need to move lots of data efficiently between the CPU cores and PCIe NICs then DPDK can help you a lot. the ideas and coding guides can be used for any type of card, so e.g. software of a video capture card could be built around the same logic, too.

sorry if the explanation was too basic for you, please feel free to ask.

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
This makes me wonder if you could do something similar with two of the new WX 5100 cards.

Necroing this to note unless you actually need the professional drivers for the WX 5100, you'd be better off getting two M4-P107mDP from Aetina -- it's 1050 Ti and single slot low profile :) Yes, it's also 330 USD but the WX 5100 is 360 USD... it's four mini DisplayPorts so output wise it's the same. The NVS 810 is a bit above 600 USD but of course the GM107 is much weaker than the GP107-400-A1... and the NVS 810 has this weird restriction where it can't drive more than four 4k @ 60Hz displays, it does only 4K @ 30 Hz above four. No such problem here :D

This is just theory of course, in practice I am much more interested in te new Sapphire FS-FP5V -- I don't need more than four displayports (neither do I need less, I need to add, hence https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/sapphire-5x5-ryzen-embedded-apu.8140/page-2#post-109778).

Last edited: