Stalled [New Video Assembly] Densium 4 & 4+ - Tiny cases with real hardwood frontpanel!

Densium.net

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
Hello Audun,

That is indeed great news ! I am looking forward to building in this beautiful case. Time for me to gather all the needed components. Do you have any recommendations for wiring lengths ? The wires that come with the power supplies can take up a lot of space blocking airflow. Thank you!

Hugo
Hey Hugo,

Sorry for late reply,

Do you have any idea what motherboard you’ll be using? I can make some estimates for you in solidworks.

Audun

Reactions: Overtek

Aguda33

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 20, 2018
Hey Hugo,

Sorry for late reply,

Do you have any idea what motherboard you’ll be using? I can make some estimates for you in solidworks.

Audun
Audun

At the moment I plan to use a MSI gaming B450i gaming plus until the next generation of AMD boards and CPU's arrive. Thank you for your kind offer!

Hugo

Densium.net

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
Audun

At the moment I plan to use a MSI gaming B450i gaming plus until the next generation of AMD boards and CPU's arrive. Thank you for your kind offer!

Hugo
Hey Hugo.
After some rought calculations, i concluded that 18cm 24pin, 20cm CPU cable and 22cm PCIe cable should be enough. I'll be home from work in a little over 1 week, then i can measure myself IRL, then i can confirm these measurements.

Audun

Reactions: Aguda33 and Overtek

Overtek

Airflow Optimizer
OVERTEK
Gold Supporter
May 22, 2017
www.overtek.co.uk
Hi Audun,

Just a couple of questions, what gauge/thickness of steel will be used and what type, SECC?, electroplated?

Also where the 2 parts of the case housing join together will these surfaces be left unpainted?

Densium.net

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
Hi Audun, Just a couple of questions, what gauge/thickness of steel will be used and what type, SECC?, electroplated? Also where the 2 parts of the case housing join together will these surfaces be left unpainted?

It’s made of SPCC, 18awg for the ‘base’ unit and motherboard tray. Side panels are 19awg. Don’t know what part you’re referring to, but no steel will be left unpainted - apart from inside the threads.

Aguda33

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 20, 2018
Hey Hugo.
After some rought calculations, i concluded that 18cm 24pin, 20cm CPU cable and 22cm PCIe cable should be enough. I'll be home from work in a little over 1 week, then i can measure myself IRL, then i can confirm these measurements.

Audun
Good evening Audun,

Thank you for getting those cable lengths sorted out for me. Would you please check for a single SATA cable, it should be pretty short as a SSD is mounted right above the power supply.

Hugo

Last edited:

Overtek

Airflow Optimizer
OVERTEK
Gold Supporter
May 22, 2017
www.overtek.co.uk
It’s made of SPCC, 18awg for the ‘base’ unit and motherboard tray. Side panels are 19awg. Don’t know what part you’re referring to, but no steel will be left unpainted - apart from inside the threads.
thanks for your reply

Gonna guess thats steel gauge not awg wire gauge.

So 1.2mm for the base and 1mm approx for side panels. Is that correct?

Re: unpainted bits, was just wondering about earth bond consideration, guess you're relying on the scews and their threads alone for that purpose.

Densium.net

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
thanks for your reply

Gonna guess thats steel gauge not awg wire gauge.

So 1.2mm for the base and 1mm approx for side panels. Is that correct?

Re: unpainted bits, was just wondering about earth bond consideration, guess you're relying on the scews and their threads alone for that purpose.
Yep, that’s correct.

Yeah i figured you were looking for an earthing point. Threads will be your best option.

Densium.net

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
Update December 30th 2021: I'm considering making an extended version of the Densium 4 to fit some longer hardware. If it generates enough interest, we'll make it after our first production run of the Densium 4. Read the thread for the update.

Reactions: Aguda33

vlad1966

Average Stuffer
Sep 21, 2017
Update December 30th 2021: I'm considering making an extended version of the Densium 4 to fit some longer hardware. If it generates enough interest, we'll make it after our first production run of the Densium 4. Read the thread for the update.

I would go for the 200mm internal, just to have a little more breathing room for cables & and extra SSD or 2? I've gotten to the point where I could really care less about video cards, due to their ridiculous pricing & availability issues. Plus, I don't game as often as I used to & when I do, I'm OK with minimal eye candy. I will be using my Densium 4 that I ordered to build another AMD APU based system with only M.2 storage. However, if pricing/availability ever return to sane levels, it would be nice to have the option of buying a medium-sized Densium 4.5 for a small video card.

Why not offer both, 200 & 220mm? Then you'd have a size for all - small, medium, large :-)

Reactions: Aguda33

Densium.net

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
I would go for the 200mm internal, just to have a little more breathing room for cables & and extra SSD or 2? I've gotten to the point where I could really care less about video cards, due to their ridiculous pricing & availability issues. Plus, I don't game as often as I used to & when I do, I'm OK with minimal eye candy. I will be using my Densium 4 that I ordered to build another AMD APU based system with only M.2 storage. However, if pricing/availability ever return to sane levels, it would be nice to have the option of buying a medium-sized Densium 4.5 for a small video card.

Why not offer both, 200 & 220mm? Then you'd have a size for all - small, medium, large :-)
Thanks for your opinion, its noted! I would love to make all 3, but i don’t have enough customers to justify that just yet!

Aguda33

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 20, 2018
Audun,
If it was my choice, I would offer the 220mm in addition. Mainly so it would be easier to find a graphics card. I spent a lot of time to find a card for the original
4 Liter case and had to settle for a less powerful card. Doing a quick check, 220mm opened up many more options.

Hugo

silvapt91

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Feb 20, 2021
Since i have a EVGA 3060XC, the 210mm its more than enough for me heheh, just a question, where is it being produce? Can it be shipped to europe?

Irish Os1r1s

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 28, 2019
Two things I'd like to mention.
1. Have you addressed the psu dumping hot air into the case? I'd prefer if the psu was flipped and exhausted out of the case.
2. Minor but still bugs me. The airholes on the side panels aren't symmetrical. I'll be using the case horizontally and it sets off my ocd. 😁

Bakaban

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 13, 2020
I'll pick up a 220 densium 4++ please. A little more gpu flexability and possible psu alternative is exactly what I'm wishing for. Great work!

Reactions: Densium.net

Densium.net

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
Thank you, good thickness. Industrial levels.

Have you figured out your shipping packaging yet? Flat pack?
Since the ‘base’ unit (the back, top and bottom is a single piece) accounts for 95% of the volume, I’m having it fully assembled for the extra rigidity during shipping.

Two things I'd like to mention.
1. Have you addressed the psu dumping hot air into the case? I'd prefer if the psu was flipped and exhausted out of the case.
2. Minor but still bugs me. The airholes on the side panels aren't symmetrical. I'll be using the case horizontally and it sets off my ocd. 😁

Yes i understand, this could definetly be improved, but since i got aware of this issue so late in the development, we’ll have to reserve this improvement for a possible V2 in the future.

Reactions: Irish Os1r1s

vlad1966

Average Stuffer
Sep 21, 2017
I'm wondering if there will be AM5 mounting kits available for the Z39 Heatsink once AMD announces the platform? I know it's hard to comment on unreleased platforms by the manufacturer, but was wondering if that has been considered yet? If so, what would be the $? Thanks.