Prototype New MC850 SFF case/system from Logic Supply - feedback welcome

JosephEK

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 6, 2017
Does the Flex ATX PSU prevent using a tower CPU cooler?

Also I've never actually witnessed a Flex ATX PSU personally, but I've heard they are very loud. Are there any exceptions to this?

DarekLogic

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Logic Supply
Jan 13, 2016
www.logicsupply.com
Loving all of the comments, thank you all so much for the great feedback!

top panel needs to be ventilated, need more air flow
Thank you for the feedback. Because many of the folks we sell our systems to install them in challenging environments, often with a great deal of airborne particulate (think woodworking, spice manufacturing or mining applications), having any openings on the top of the system, through which contaminants can settle on internal components, would be problematic.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Also I've never actually witnessed a Flex ATX PSU personally, but I've heard they are very loud. Are there any exceptions to this?

The FSP500-50FSPT I tested is very quiet under lower loads (like 200W and below). So seeing Seasonic release a 650W Flex, that'd be pretty quiet for most systems. But, this case would also allow for an 80mm fan mod, and at that point FlexATX can be as quiet as SFX. Get as much headroom as you can is the device.

breakfast

Chassis Packer
Logic Supply
Mar 7, 2017
More answers, because this is more fun than my actual work:

I know you guys usually offer full systems so you can control what parts are used, but I'd also like to see a full cutout for the FlexATX mounting.

There were a few FlexATX I saw at Computex that had a small power switch added and they would be interfere with the grill.
Putting a vent pattern over that area was an aesthetic choice, all I can offer is that the pattern is much bigger than it needs to be to hopefully accommodate other fan positions on other PSUs.

I dont like that this case has no Gase fan in and only little fan out. In the case is so mich space that its looks easy to add a 120mm fan.
Why you dont try to use an standard Sfx PSU in betwen front and mainboard ?
An intake fan would contribute mostly turbulence, and a 120mm definitely wouldn't fit anywhere except the top which as Darek explained I think is a problem for our core customer base. I promise I pushed for the largest fan we could reasonably fit :p

#OrangeMasterRace

I love that you're making this case, The FlexATX PSU allows for good cooling options for the CPU and it should be awesome to mod. It'll be awesome to see what people do with this. I also love that you only support reference height cards, no added volume for bloated coolers.
Thanks! We're pretty pumped as well. Based on the things people have done with the MC600 I expect to see some slick mods to this chassis too. With this chassis straying into enthusiast territory there's the real potential for us to be able to be more responsive to community feature requests. We'll have to refine how to best parse through that sort of thing, but we can get down into 50 and 100 piece MOQ's on sheet metal parts so it's definitely feasible.

Does the Flex ATX PSU prevent using a tower CPU cooler?

With the boards/configs we've tested the PSU doesn't interfere. It's always going to come down to specific combinations, but I got in commercial parts for testing so its been taken into consideration. I think someone else already spoke to your noise concerns - personally I haven't found it to be overwhelming.

wiretap

Average Stuffer
Apr 25, 2017
My suggestions:
1) Dust filter(s) on intake vents -- maybe slide-in or snap-in
2) Have a passive intake under the motherboard to allow more air flow into the case.
3) An underside panel that's removable with the dust filter to allow install of rear-side M.2 drives.
4) As mentioned, allow room for 211mm graphics cards by slightly moving the hard drive caddy if it is in the way.
5) Add a USB-C port on the front.
6) Thumb screws in as many places as possible -- it makes installation a breeze.
7) Top/side window option if it is feasible, or tempered glass option.
8) Top fan/vent option.
9) Cable management tie down points.

I'm just throwing all sorts of ideas out there. I know the design is supposed to be minimalist and sleek, but some improvements or options could be made.

Thanks for the opportunity for the input/feedback. I love Logic Supply.. in fact a while back, I talked our project manager into using the rugged SFF systems you guys sell for our nuclear power plant control room workstations. They're being installed in our next refuel outage. :p

mantide

Trash Compacter
Sep 17, 2016
Overall I really think this is a great layout.
But including a double-slot pci-e expansion card here means cooling is not an issue we can choose to neglect, since it is almost surely a performance-oriented build. Maybe you could offer different choices of top panel(perforated vs plain-vanilla). Also, if the case allows us to use our own modular flex psu, the customized cabling will not only looks neat, but also improves cooling.
Overall, great work! It is a good layout, I think I will give it a shot. Any information about price and availability?

DarekLogic

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Logic Supply
Jan 13, 2016
www.logicsupply.com
Thanks for the opportunity for the input/feedback. I love Logic Supply.. in fact a while back, I talked our project manager into using the rugged SFF systems you guys sell for our nuclear power plant control room workstations. They're being installed in our next refuel outage. :p
Thanks for all the ideas. While our target market is the industrial computer space, we really appreciate the perspective from enthusiast builders and are always filing design suggestions away for future developments.

Great to hear that you'll be using our hardware in your plant! Looking forward to hearing how the installation goes, send us some pictures if you can, we love to see how folks are installing our systems.

Overall I really think this is a great layout.
But including a double-slot pci-e expansion card here means cooling is not an issue we can choose to neglect, since it is almost surely a performance-oriented build. Maybe you could offer different choices of top panel(perforated vs plain-vanilla). Also, if the case allows us to use our own modular flex psu, the customized cabling will not only looks neat, but also improves cooling.
Overall, great work! It is a good layout, I think I will give it a shot. Any information about price and availability?
Thanks for the suggestions! We've had internal conversations about the options to provide alternate top panels (it's something that came up for the MC600 as well). Generally decisions to offer alternate components are driven from large scale project need (high quantity orders that allow us to offset the engineering costs associated with development), but following the launch of the system/chassis we'll be evaluating options.

As for launch timing, we're shooting for sometime this summer, but that's subject to change based on ongoing testing. Price is also still being finalized but we hope to have a better idea on that in the next few weeks.

one of us, one of us, one of us...
The fact that this quote comes from a scene in a movie that features a character named Hans, and is in response to a post by our Engineer Hans, entertains me to no end. Well done!

Thanks again to everyone for the comments. It's great to see others as passionate about SFF as we are.

DarekLogic

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Logic Supply
Jan 13, 2016
www.logicsupply.com
will there be a grey/black version?
It's possible, though not likely at launch. Keeping the orange and silver color scheme consistent across our line helps us maintain our differentiation within the industrial hardware industry, but we also recognize that there are instances where a more "standard" black box is appealing to some clients, so if we see demand for an alternate color it's something we'll certainly investigate.

Thanks for the question!

Reactions: Biowarejak

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Wow. I can't believe I missed that. It's an interesting unit with a-12V rail, semi-modular cables, and temperature based fan control. I hope they deliver this time, unlike their 500W model.

At the very least it will have a lot more headroom than the previous units, so I think it would be quite hard for them to mess this up as a decent unit for 300W systems.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
At the very least it will have a lot more headroom than the previous units, so I think it would be quite hard for them to mess this up as a decent unit for 300W systems.

Don't be so sure, I briefly had my hands on the 220mm 850W Platinum-rated FSP and after just a few minutes of a little less than 300W load in open air the fan went full speed. Then it even took several minutes after stopping the load for the fan to slow down.

So what sounds easily quiet on paper may not be :\

summarit

Chassis Packer
May 29, 2017
instagram.com
It's possible, though not likely at launch. Keeping the orange and silver color scheme consistent across our line helps us maintain our differentiation within the industrial hardware industry, but we also recognize that there are instances where a more "standard" black box is appealing to some clients, so if we see demand for an alternate color it's something we'll certainly investigate.

Thanks for the question!
Thanks for the reply! Hope to see a black version on the market soon. One last question, could I get some dimensions? How would this case compare to something like the Silverstone SG05?

Last edited:
Reactions: DarekLogic

DarekLogic

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Logic Supply
Jan 13, 2016
www.logicsupply.com
Thanks for the

Thanks for the reply! Hope to see a black version on the market soon. One last question, could I get some dimensions? How would this case compare to something like the Silverstone SG05?
Thanks to James for quoting the dimensions above! As you can see, the MC850 is somewhat smaller volumetrically than the SG05, though the design intent is somewhat different (ground-up builds vs pre-configured Industrial PC systems).

We'll be launching a product page in the next couple of weeks for the MC850 pre-built system we're creating which should have additional pertinent information. I'll be sure to post the link here. Happy to field other questions in the meantime though.