Concept NEW CASE! Is there any interest in an SFF case capable of holding 2x 280mm radiators?

The6A

Average Stuffer
Mar 20, 2017
I'm right there with you, athough I would definitely say that there actually are a few good options out there; I just want that little bit more.

Dual single slot, huh? That should be very possible in this case except for the fact that the graphics card is slotted straight into the motherboard. Thinking about it though... admittedly I'm not an expert on PCIe bifurcation, but if there's a really flexible low profile cable... you could use the bottom two slots of the 3 slots allotted for the GPU, and make it work that way? When I post the gut arrangement of the design, take a look and see if that could be a thing.

I'm not a fan of SLI/Crossfire, but it would be pretty sweet to run that in a build like this! I'll do what I can to help that happen.

The main app I use is redshift, a 3D gpu rendering app. It doesn’t use SLI, just uses Leverages each card directly using CUDA stuffs.

Thanks man, I’ll be keeping an eye, good luck for both our sakes :)

Sh0ckwaveFlash

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Sep 18, 2019
The main app I use is redshift, a 3D gpu rendering app. It doesn’t use SLI, just uses Leverages each card directly using CUDA stuffs.

Thanks man, I’ll be keeping an eye, good luck for both our sakes
Ah, multiple GPU workstation uses are a huge go in my book! (I'm mainly just salty at multi-GPU gaming for not being a widely viable thing. Just me being whiny.) Thanks for the cheer, I'll do my best to make it happen.

Sh0ckwaveFlash

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Sep 18, 2019
Alright, everybody. Here's a little bit of an update:
I have two internal designs to pick from. I'll detail them later on in this post. I'd greatly appreciate as much feedback between the two as possible.
First, we will need to choose between 240mm and 280mm radiators. As I stated earlier the rating from Hardware Labs for their 240GTS radiator is 750W and the rating for their 280GTS is 800W. Comparatively, the direct cooling capacity difference is minimal. I don't have a lot of personal experience with different fan sizes, so chip in if you do. One of the biggest reasons for the deliberation is size; check out what the estimated comparative sizes are below.

240mm case design 1:
280mm tall, 150mm wide, 300mm long

280mm case design 1:
280mm tall, 160mm wide, 315mm long

240mm case design 2:
315 tall, 140mm wide, 300mm long

280mm case design 2:
315mm tall, 160mm wide, 315mm long

Alright, now here are quick mockups for the internals with 240mm rads on each design option; the GPU is green, the motherboard is red, the PSU is black, and the fans and radiators are blue:

Case design 1:

Case design 2:

Last edited:

Sh0ckwaveFlash

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Sep 18, 2019
Here is a overall size comparison mockup to two popular cases on the market.

Front view and width, left to right: Ghost S1 with large tophat (140mm wide, one 240mm rad compatible), Ncase M1 (160mm wide, one 240mm* rad compatible), case design 1_240mm (150mm wide, two 240mm rad compatible), case design 1_280mm (160mm wide, two 280mm rad compatible), case design 2_240 (140mm wide, two 240mm rad compatible), case design 2_280mm (160mm wide, two 280mm rad compatible)

Top view, same order

Perspective view, same order

Sh0ckwaveFlash

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Sep 18, 2019
You sure the PSU is oriented correctly? Remember to take into account the power cables/right angle C13 as well. You might want to read my component space requirements guide.
Hey, long time fan! I'm grateful for all your help and inspiration! My SFX PSU is on its way and should be arriving by the middle of this new week, so I'll be able to check when it arrives. It does seem that the orientation should be correct from what I'm seeing, though... essentially it would intake air from the side radiator and expel it out of the top, which is also where the right angled power connector would plug in. Component cables would come out of the bottom, or at least that was the preliminary plan. Does that sound right, or do you see a problem I'm not?

EDIT: You're right, thanks for pointing that out! I had the dimensions mixed up in the models. Thankfully when oriented correctly it should still fit in both the 240mm and 280mm case designs. I updated the screenshots up above to be accurate now.

Also, that's a super useful write up! It probably would have saved me a few hours of playing with measuring tape and cardboard cutouts during concept creation, but then again it can be helpful to get hands-on sometimes. I always appreciate your input!

Last edited:

Sh0ckwaveFlash

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Sep 18, 2019
280mm sandwich pleaseplease
I'll be able to do a lot more fitment testing come Tuesday when most of my radiators come in, however that particular design (with the 280mm radiators on top and bottom) is my least favorite. One reason why is that the dimensions of that option is the largest out of all the others, and I don't see any clear benefit to it. The other reason is that I'm very doubtful of the quality of vertical airflow in the sandwich style layout. You essentially have the internal components blocking a huge portion of the path. I mean, see the Ghost S1 as a prime example.

Ariamella

Trash Compacter
Aug 19, 2019
I'll be able to do a lot more fitment testing come Tuesday when most of my radiators come in, however that particular design (with the 280mm radiators on top and bottom) is my least favorite. One reason why is that the dimensions of that option is the largest out of all the others, and I don't see any clear benefit to it. The other reason is that I'm very doubtful of the quality of vertical airflow in the sandwich style layout. You essentially have the internal components blocking a huge portion of the path. I mean, see the Ghost S1 as a prime example.
It's the only viable configuration of a 2x280mm SFF case which allows for tempered glass on both sides too. I don't want an ncase-style layout precisely because of this reason.

Sh0ckwaveFlash

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Sep 18, 2019
Hey guys, running into a dilemma. Need input.
If I do a stacked sandwhich layout, versus the side radiator layout, I gain aproximately 40mm in height for the same hardware (brings it up to 160w, 300h, 315d, in millimeters). However I do gain the ability to have side panel visuals (glass panel, etc).
No other benefit. On the other hand, if I use 240mm radiators instead of 280mm, I can bring the thickness down 20mm from 160mm to 140mm (so 140w, 300h, 315d). The height still stays, though.

The side radiator layout is superior in size with 280mm (coming in at 160w, 260h, 315d). The side radiator layout doesn't really experience much space saving by going to 240mm radiators. However you lose the ability to enjoy much of a view from your internal components.

Also, do any of you care about PCI riser cables versus straight into the motherboard plug-in for the GPU? That'd be another difference between sandwhich and side radiator layout.

Gimme the input. Mainly trying to decide between sandwich versus side radiator, and if sandwich whether to go 240 or 280 for the rads. I do NOT want this to be a mediorce or lackluster case in terms of cooling performance.

Sh0ckwaveFlash

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Sep 18, 2019
This is probably a dead thread right
Yes and no. I did a lot more work (CAD) on this since the last thread update, but no manufactured example. I still plan on making it, but don't have a real timeframe. I have at least two alternative cases I can recommend, or we can pick up discussion of this one!

Reactions: smalltownboi

SaMandria

Cable Smoosher
May 23, 2020
I would appreciate the recommendations, but I enjoy discussing so if you are up, you can get me up to date and I can give you my opinion. But I have to warn you my knowledge is only theoretical becorse of money constraints.

Reactions: Sh0ckwaveFlash

Sh0ckwaveFlash

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Sep 18, 2019
I would appreciate the recommendations, but I enjoy discussing so if you are up, you can get me up to date and I can give you my opinion. But I have to warn you my knowledge is only theoretical becorse of money constraints.
Just off the top of my head, the WinterOne is afaik the best case and comes to similar dimensions and volume and likely price as mine will. It uses a bottom to top airflow pattern but has been through extensive engineering simulation to perfect the airflow. That's something I can't do for mine but the future holds open possibilities as always. The WinterOne will be able to hold 2 x 280mm Hwlabs rads, same as what I've decided for mine. A larger volume alternative is the Dice Cases Flow.

Mine will be a side intake with top exhaust. It will not need legs, and it will not need a riser cable. The biggest compatibility constraint will be the width of the GPU waterblock. Potentially it's going to be a pain in the ass to build in this design, but not necessarily. I have mockup pictures + basic renderings I can post if interested, just have to dig them up from the beginning of this year. Iirc dimensions land roughly 160*266*344 mm or something like that (w, h, l). Issue I thought of was about dust. I don't like bottom intake due to dust, but I don't see how a side intake deals with dust forming either. Plans are to make this CNCd from aluminum so an absolutely solid piece of quality. Thought about making part of the front panel a distro plate but idk

Reactions: smalltownboi