Need Advice on Mixing Power Connectors to a GPU

Godalor

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Sep 14, 2019
Hello friends of the SFF.

I got a plan to build a System in the Velka 3 Case with the Flex ATX PSU SilverStone SST FX350-G, which only has a 6-pin PCIe power cable for a GPU. Now I wanted to put a Ryzen 5 1600 inside (because it's quite cheap at MicroCenter) and this GTX 1660, I've already checked all the necessary Dimensions and the only thing left is to be able to power it. It needs 8-pin PCIe power and as I have already said above the PSU only has a single 6-pin PCIe power cable. I do have a 6-pin to 8-pin adapter but I don't really want to use it for fear of underpowering the GPU (even though the GTX 1660 should never draw anything near the maximum output from the PCIe slot and 6-pin PCIe) I do notice that the PSU has 2 Molex connectors, though. I happen to have a dual molex to 6-pin adapter from an older GPU. Can I make a "Zombie Connection" with 2x Molex to 6-pin PCIe and then 2x 6-pin PCIe to 8-pin PCIe?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Does your PSU have a single 12V rail? If so it should be fine - in that case all the 12V lines will be coming from the same source no matter what, and shouldn't care about the wiring in between unless some wires are a lot thinner or otherwise have higher resistance than the rest. And even that wouldn't cause issues. If the PSU has dual 12V rails this might be an issue, but frankly I don't know.

Godalor

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Sep 14, 2019
yeah, the PSU has a single 12V rail. It wouldn't be feasible for a 350W PSU to be made dual rail, either way.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
yeah, the PSU has a single 12V rail. It wouldn't be feasible for a 350W PSU to be made dual rail, either way.
Likely not, no :) But then as I said, hook this up however you want. Neither the PSU nor the GPU cares what wires the 12V passes through as long as they are thick enough to carry the necessary current. Just make sure none of your adapters use thin-gauge wire and you'll be good. Are any of them 20AWG or higher? If so I would be a bit wary of that.