NCASE M1 V6 info

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
I made a new post on the replacement here, but for those that are too lazy to click, here is the summary:

2022-11-20: M1EVO Interest Check | Survey is live (URL).​

Last edited:

Dez

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Dec 6, 2020
Will it have capacity for an optical disc drive? No front audio/mic jack and no ODD will lose the interest of many previous M1 buyers.

Dez

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Dec 6, 2020
Will it have capacity for an optical disc drive? No front audio/mic jack and no ODD will lose the interest of many previous M1 buyers.

DataMeister

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jun 3, 2021
My current setup has a ODD, so that would definitely be missed, however isn't the audio jack an all-in-one? So you would just need a breakout cable for a dedicated mic or an all-in-one plug on a headset.

The screen door effect is the biggest turn off for me on this new design. It looks cheap and fragile in the pictures.

I feel like the first design was near perfection (perhaps just missing an SD card reader) and all the new changes on this EVO are going away from perfection. There are a few third party cases out now that visually look better than this EVO.

Mystic_Guardian

Cable Smoosher
Apr 21, 2019
It doesn't really surprise me that front-panel audio is going (especially since a lengthy cable can largely offset this). However, no ODD is really disappointing. It's not as if it will impact thermals or compatibility significantly. Otherwise happy to see anything resembling Ncase M1 available purely for options!

djt01

Efficiency Noob
Oct 29, 2018

My current setup has a ODD, so that would definitely be missed

However, no ODD is really disappointing

The lose of the ODD would hamper the versatility of this case and one of the reasons why it had major advantage over other SFF cases.

I got hooked on the NCASE M1 (I was previously using a CaseLabs Merlin SM8, Mercury S5, S3 and a BH4) after finding out that it could not only house high end hardware but also the ability to use Icy Dock’s hard drive enclosures, which I had great success using in my CaseLabs cases.

The ability to swap out SSD’s and quickly change operating systems turns the NCASE M1 into very capable workstation. Whether it’s trying out different Linux distros, various Windows installations or a drive dedicated to gaming, the easily swapable hard drive enclosures turn the NCASE M1 into a SFF PC Swiss Army Knife.

My next project was to try to install the new ICY Dock removable U.2/M.2 SSD enclosure that will also fit in the ODD location - MB852M2PO-B_ToughArmor Series_REMOVABLE U.2 / M.2 SSD ENCLOSURES_ICY DOCK manufacturer Removable enclosure, Screwless hard drive enclosure, SAS SATA Mobile Rack, DVR Surveillance Recording, Video Audio Editing, SATA portable hard drive enclosure

If the NACSE M1 EVO had the ability to house my Nvidia 4090 along with the SSD enclosure I don’t think there would be a need for me to go back to a ATX PC case.

Last edited:

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
The ability to swap out SSD’s and quickly change operating systems turns the NCASE M1 into very capable workstation. Whether it’s trying out different Linux distros, various Windows installations or a drive dedicated to gaming, the easily swapable hard drive enclosures turn the NCASE M1 into a SFF PC Swiss Army Knife.

This. I also love when SFF case give more attention to storage.

Unfortunately, it seems that our use case is not common. AIO & XXX mm radiators get higher priority 😋

(Yes there are NAS & portable drives, but..)

Reactions: NinoPecorino

Dawelio

Awesomeness
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
This. I also love when SFF case give more attention to storage.

Unfortunately, it seems that our use case is not common. AIO & XXX mm radiators get higher priority 😋

(Yes there are NAS & portable drives, but..)
It's not a surprise really, considering just how power hungry components are getting and what the future seems to be holding for them, they will most likely become even bigger unfortunately... The days of the 250W 1080 Ti is long gone, soon 500W will be norm.

The lose of the ODD would hamper the versatility of this case and one of the reasons why it had major advantage over other SFF cases.

I got hooked on the NCASE M1 (I was previously using a CaseLabs Merlin SM8, Mercury S5, S3 and a BH4) after finding out that it could not only house high end hardware but also the ability to use Icy Dock’s hard drive enclosures, which I had great success using in my CaseLabs cases.

My next project was to try to install the new ICY Dock removable U.2/M.2 SSD enclosure that will also fit in the ODD location - MB852M2PO-B_ToughArmor Series_REMOVABLE U.2 / M.2 SSD ENCLOSURES_ICY DOCK manufacturer Removable enclosure, Screwless hard drive enclosure, SAS SATA Mobile Rack, DVR Surveillance Recording, Video Audio Editing, SATA portable hard drive enclosure

If the NACSE M1 EVO had the ability to house my Nvidia 4090 along with the SSD enclosure I don’t think there would be a need for me to go back to a ATX PC case.
Now this is rather cool, had no idea about this and stuff like this is why I love the internet. Such a neat little thing to add, that has a rather massive potential to it :)

luaps

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Nov 12, 2023
I hope I do this right, new to the forum. I wanna change cases from my M1 V6.1 and want to turn the old M1 into an HTPC with an ODD. Sadly I cant get a hold of the ODD top panel anymore. I was wondering if someone could give me measurements of where the slit is on the ODD panel so I can take an angle grinder and do it myself. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Haha
Reactions: NinoPecorino

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
I hope I do this right, new to the forum. I wanna change cases from my M1 V6.1 and want to turn the old M1 into an HTPC with an ODD. Sadly I cant get a hold of the ODD top panel anymore. I was wondering if someone could give me measurements of where the slit is on the ODD panel so I can take an angle grinder and do it myself. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pinging the man the legend @Necere

At the same time I also suggest to check any hardware swap forum to see if anyone have a compatible top panel with ODD opening & willing to swap with yours.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
I have a silver V1 ODD top I'd be happy to part ways with in case that somehow fits.

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
I have a silver V1 ODD top I'd be happy to part ways with in case that somehow fits.
I could be wrong, but I somehow remember there were changes that make the V1 top panel not compatible with the further versions.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015

Last edited:

Mr X

Case Bender
New User
May 5, 2021
Hi, anyone of you knows how much space there is for a M.2 in the rear? Im thinking of instaling something like the Corsar LPX MP600 or a Crucial T500 but Im not sure if the heatsink will clear

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Jul 31, 2019
Hi, anyone of you knows how much space there is for a M.2 in the rear? Im thinking of instaling something like the Corsar LPX MP600 or a Crucial T500 but Im not sure if the heatsink will clear

Hope you can see them properly. If not, justo tell me and will upload to another place. As you can see there is barely room for one of the smallest heatsinks I found. In fact if you put a bare ssd there, It will touch the side panel with the help of a heatpad... In my case the side panel is very slightly bent due to the ssd heatsink.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017

Hope you can see them properly. If not, justo tell me and will upload to another place. As you can see there is barely room for one of the smallest heatsinks I found. In fact if you put a bare ssd there, It will touch the side panel with the help of a heatpad... In my case the side panel is very slightly bent due to the ssd heatsink.
I see Google Drive you need access.