NCASE M1 V6 info

Plaklijm

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 18, 2019
Thanks! I’ll go ahead and order them.
Where are you ordering them? I was thinking of doing the same but only for the PSU area, because the rest has dust filtration in the V6.1 and what doesn't is exhaust. And the PSU is an intake so I want to make sure it has its own little filter.

MultiDoc

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 2, 2018
Where are you ordering them? I was thinking of doing the same but only for the PSU area, because the rest has dust filtration in the V6.1 and what doesn't is exhaust. And the PSU is an intake so I want to make sure it has its own little filter.
From DEMCiflex.com , i have been using their filters for years and they are the best.

Reactions: Plaklijm

MikeTek

Minimal Tinkerer
Sep 29, 2019
Just received my M1 in silver and I love it. Looking around for a build spec that matches what I'm trying to do.

i5
Air Cooled
Low to mid range video card

Looks like everyone's builds are mid to extreme high end and as I'm not a avid gamer, I'd like to save some bucks on the video card.

Thanks in advance.

ParallaxStax

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 24, 2019
Just received my M1 in silver and I love it. Looking around for a build spec that matches what I'm trying to do.

i5
Air Cooled
Low to mid range video card

Looks like everyone's builds are mid to extreme high end and as I'm not a avid gamer, I'd like to save some bucks on the video card.

Thanks in advance.

Here's my mid-range (<1000 USD) ncase build: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/jDBbt6

wildwest

Efficiency Noob
Jan 4, 2020
Just finished my build, and here to share some thoughts with the components I had!

AMD Ryzen 3700X
Noctua U9S with an extra A9 for push/pull
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wifi
G.Skill F4-3200C16D-32GFX Dual Channel
Gigabyte RTX2070 Super Windforce OC (GV-N207SWF3OC-8GD)
Samsung 1TB 970 Evo Plus M.2
Corsair SFX600 Platinum

Case related:
  1. The manual says there's the M3 Pan Head screws for chassis, brackets, motherboard, GPU bracket - it doesn't mention that there are two different lengths of the M3 Pan Head screws being used. Eg, the two used on AIO/side exhaust bracket mounted on the back of the case, are slightly longer than the rest of the M3 screws.
  2. The mobo integrated backplate pushes the second A9 a little higher up, but still fits inside the case with the side panel on
  3. The IO block USB3 cable is relatively long for where the port is on the motherboard - there's probably constant stress on the cable / motherboard port it no matter how I routed the cable, simply because of its thickness and excess length
  4. I pushed the type E cable out the front and hid it behind the front panel...
  5. The GPU despite being specced as a "2 slot card" was slightly taller than 2 slots with it's shroud, which meant two Noctua NF-F12s I planned to use as bottom intakes didn't fit. They will have to wait until I get an Arctic Accelero on to the GPU
  6. Plenty of space in front of the PSU for the excess PSU cables. Still plan on getting some custom cables later to clean it up
Components related...
  1. AMD vs Intel...the variety of Mini ITX motherboards available for AMD seemed much less at the reasonable price points. The Intel equivalent of the motherboard has a type E header. Didn't realise this until far down the track.
  2. From the photo the motherboard has 2 SYS_FAN headers, but one of them is being used by the NVMe cooling block
  3. The NVMe active cooling block seems absolutely useless. There's no good thermal contact between the SSD and the block. With the fan connected, the drive is idling at ~53 degrees, and hits up to ~60s without the fan. Both scenarios was higher than I was expecting.
  4. The NVMe fan has a slight whine to it that's noticeable when the CPU coolers are near idle....any suggestions here for a passive cooling solution welcome!

Other notes!
  1. I bought the AM4 mounting kit for the US9 plus Artic Silver thermal paste, not realising the US9 came with both those things!
  2. I bought extra Noctua PWM splitters, also not realising the two NF-F12s and NF-A9 all came with splitters!

Last edited:

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Gigabyte RTX2070 Super Windforce OC (GV-N207SWF3OC-8GD)

The GPU despite being specced as a "2 slot card" was slightly taller than 2 slots with it's shroud, which meant two Noctua NF-F12s I planned to use as bottom intakes didn't fit. They will have to wait until I get an Arctic Accelero on to the GPU
It is unfortunate that the two NF-F12s cannot be used as bottom intake. Now that they are not there, do you have acceptable temp, especially the CPU and GPU when they are under gaming load?

The Gigabyte display card's stock cooling seems quite adequate with its beefy heatsink and tri-fan in asymmetric spinning design. Maybe you can jog down its temp now and then compare it later with the Artic Accelero. Please report the comparison.

So, you do not have any case fan for intake/exhaust. Right? The pull fan of the U9S, more or less, acts as an case exhaust fan?

Haveloc

Efficiency Noob
Jan 26, 2020
Hello All,

I think like a few others on this thread I've mostly been observing up until now. However, I've now completed my build with the M1 V6.1 and wanted to share.

Ordered on 12th Jan, 1AM here for me in Shenzhen (FYI, I'm an expat from the UK working in China). Shipped on the 17th and arrived by 22nd, so I was immensely pleased to receive just before Chinese New Year holidays shut the place down (not to mention the coronavirus).

Big thanks to @Necere for dreaming up and creating this amazing case. I’ve owned quite a few cases in my time including the monstrous Lian-Li PC-07SX at one time. The M1 really is everything I wanted.

Anyway…. The build:
  • AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
  • Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI
  • Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 Super Windforce OC 8G (GV-N207SWF3OC-8GC)
  • G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x16GB (F4-3600C17D-32GTZR)
  • Samsung 500GB 970 Evo Plus M.2 (x2)
  • NZXT Kraken X52 (with x2 Noctua NF-A12x25 mounted)
  • 2x NF-A12x25 mounted at bottom of case (under GPU)
  • Corsair SF Series SF750 Platinum
Notes / Issues:
  • When first running the PC after set-up the CPU temps / voltages at idle seemed abnormally high… (50 to 60 degrees, 1.4 to 1.5 volts). Did quite a bit of reading and found a reddit post by an AMD Dev, long story short it seemed to be the Gigabyte BIOS (even the latest version) at fault setting voltages too high. Setting CPU voltages from auto to normal appeared to correct everything, I’m now at approx. 36 degrees idle with 1.1 to 1.2 volts.
  • Even 1.2 volts seems high… may need to keep playing with ALL CPU related voltages in BIOS but I’m happy for now… beats setting Windows to power save mode which forced the multiplier to x22 and clock speeds to 2.16 GHz
  • The support bracket for the GPU (mounted at the front panel end) works well to support the GPU’s weight, but… The GPU shroud on the Windforce sits at the same level or lower than the rear most fan, hence the fan was hitting the bracket. I added some spacers to either end of the bracket to fix
  • @wildwest, I think I have exactly the same GPU as you and am not experiencing the same issues with mounting the lower fans. The shroud sits sub flush of the 2-slot bracket… (ID of my GPU has a C at the end… maybe makes a difference to build generation? They started to use larger shrouds later?)
  • I had 2 custom length 6+2 pin PCIe power cables thankfully, this kept a lot of cable mess to a minimum. 24 pin and 8 pin cables to motherboard hidden inside the front panel, nice and clean inside as far as I’m concerned, though still considering getting a custom length 24 pin cable.
  • Type E cable useless with this motherboard unfortunately, I’ve hidden next to the lower mounted A12’s. Will have to explore adaptors.
  • @wildwest, same issues here with the NVMe / chipset cooler block… it’s useless and probably the loudest fan in the entire PC… I’ve set the fan curves to silent in the BIOS but they can’t be custom set which is tragic.
Temps:
  • CPU: idle – 36 degrees / load – approx. 75 degrees (from Ryzen Master)
  • NZXT Liquid: idle – 32 degrees / load (sustained) – approx. 44 degrees
  • GPU: idle – 34 degrees / load – approx. 73 degrees (with lower fans)
  • GPU: idle – 34 degrees / load – approx. 80 degrees (w/o lower fans)
  • Kraken mounted Noctua fans sets to pull air through the radiator into the case from outside
  • Bottom mounted A12's set to pull air into the case (obviously)
  • Might have room for A9x15 at the rear of the case if I shift the radiator as far forward as possible

wildwest

Efficiency Noob
Jan 4, 2020
So, you do not have any case fan for intake/exhaust. Right? The pull fan of the U9S, more or less, acts as an case exhaust fan?
The CPU temp is definitely much worse than I expected. I can only assume that with only the U9S fans, there's no fresh air being drawn in and the fans aren't doing that good a job at exhausting the hot air. I was thinking of going to a window panel one day, so would like to avoid a side intake. Maybe a slim 92mm fan on the rear exhaust of the case?

Here are some non scientific stats:
  • Fans: still no bottom intakes, only fans are on the U9S with 2 A9s in push/pull
  • Side panel on with side mount and side fan filter attached
  • Ambient temp is ~26 degrees
  • CPU voltage to set to Normal as per suggestion from @Haveloc
  • GPU fan are set to auto
  • CPU idle temp from Ryzen Master, max from HWMonitor
  • GPU temp from HWMonitor
  • I only kicked off a game for 15 minutes or so just to see how it went, so the GPU probably didn't get worked that hard.
Idle: CPU 43 degrees, GPU 39 degrees
Gaming load: CPU max 81 degrees, GPU max 66 degrees

Oddly enough, whether I had the CPU fans set to constant max RPM or the silent profile made very little difference to the idle temperature (43 vs ~46 degrees).

@Haveloc, looks like our GPUs are very slightly different. This one is mine (50mm high) and here is yours (40.24mm high). They don't make these things obvious! I might see if I can do without the stock shroud/fans and use the Noctuas only before going to spend the money for the Arctic Accelero.

Qrash

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 10, 2015
The CPU temp is definitely much worse than I expected. I can only assume that with only the U9S fans, there's no fresh air being drawn in and the fans aren't doing that good a job at exhausting the hot air. I was thinking of going to a window panel one day, so would like to avoid a side intake. Maybe a slim 92mm fan on the rear exhaust of the case?

I would try reversing the direction of airflow through the NH-U9S so that fresh air is drawn into the case through the rear fan location (with or without a fan there) and then through the U9S heatsink. Optimum Tech used this airflow when he used a window side panel and found it was best for that configuration so it should be fine with a standard side panel too.