Concept MK-2 (Sub 6L Watercooled SFF)

cadiguno

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 18, 2016
Since this requires the use of a PCIe riser, have you thought about putting the GPU back-to-back with the board? Just asking if there's any consideration to not do so, as it'll make for better airflow all around and perhaps even better viewing should one opt to use plexi glass as side panel.

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
I have considered this as an option and will likely create at least one concept with this layout. My worry with such a configuration though would most likely be very difficult to route the water cooling lines to the GPU effectively.

Edit: After looking over it some more I think I do have an idea for the cooling lines. The side with the GPU could be a full acrylic panel while the reverse side and front panel could be aluminum with vent locations. I have about 30mm in between the motherboard and the front panel where the coolant lines could be routed between the two sides. Likewise, this layout would allow for a more traditional air cooled CPU while the full potential of the dual 80mm rad could be used to cool a much more powerful card like the 1080 ti.

Last edited:
Reactions: Biowarejak

cadiguno

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 18, 2016
I have considered this as an option and will likely create at least one concept with this layout. My worry with such a configuration though would most likely be very difficult to route the water cooling lines to the GPU effectively.

Edit: After looking over it some more I think I do have an idea for the cooling lines. The side with the GPU could be a full acrylic panel while the reverse side and front panel could be aluminum with vent locations. I have about 30mm in between the motherboard and the front panel where the coolant lines could be routed between the two sides. Likewise, this layout would allow for a more traditional air cooled CPU while the full potential of the dual 80mm rad could be used to cool a much more powerful card like the 1080 ti.

Wonderful. Absolutely looking forward to how it turns out!

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
You could route fluid through an Acrylic panel, just saying :) just use quick-disconnect fittings since it'd be a removable one. But price is a factor here too.

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
You could route fluid through an Acrylic panel, just saying :) just use quick-disconnect fittings since it'd be a removable one. But price is a factor here too.

Cool idea! But I do think price and panel thickness would be an issue here....

So after going through what seems like a thousand different variations of the case and its layout I have come to the conclusion that the 4.7L layout I posted earlier is the best option to move forward with. I attempted to mount the motherboard and GPU in an opposing orientation as suggested earlier and while it certainly looked better, a few ugly issues presented themselves. The biggest issue being that I now had a large mass in (about) the center of the case that would block most of the airflow through the radiator. I tried many different variations of this layout and in each case the motherboard, PCIE slot, PCIE Riser, motherboard standoffs, and the motherboard mounting plate blocked most of the radiator surface. Flipping the radiator on its side like the original concept alleviated this issue but forced the height of the case to increase 1cm pushing it over the 5L mark and there was alot of unused dead space created.

So with those experiments behind me, I plan to move forward with the 4.7L concept with a few modifications. It looks as though I can decrease the dimensions even further to (L x H x T) 245mm x 210mm x 90mm for an overall volume of 4.63L. The fans will now be placed above the radiator and act as intakes. Fresh air will be pulled in through the top and be exhausted through vents around the bottom. This layout still does allow for the use of dual slot cards and a 1U low profile air cooler for the CPU if I want to push this thing to the max with a GTX 1080TI.

Now it is on to drawing up the first internal frame prototype for this layout!

entropy

Caliper Novice
May 17, 2017
I'm not 100% sure how shapeways charges, but typically print services add additional charges for surface area. The holes you made for the vents might be adding to the cost significantly. You might be able to try leaving an open gap where there is a vent and installing a dust filter/mesh manually later.

Also, there are a few 3D printing subreddits that might have people that might print parts for you. It seems like its mostly just enthusiasts with 3D printers rather than a professional service, but that might be much cheaper.

If your costs are approaching $400, you could actually get a decent 3D printer from China: http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_441281.html for the same price.

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
I'm not 100% sure how shapeways charges, but typically print services add additional charges for surface area. The holes you made for the vents might be adding to the cost significantly. You might be able to try leaving an open gap where there is a vent and installing a dust filter/mesh manually later.

Shapeways calculates their pricing based off of material volume and build (machine space) volume. The problem with large parts through Shapeways is that it takes up space on the machine that could be used to pack other 3D prints in thus increasing the cost. So to decrease the price I need to aggressively cut down on the material volume since I cannot get the machine space any lower. I could use that method and install a metal grate afterwords but then my concern would be structural integrity of the fame. It needs to have enough volume to be sturdy so I have to find that right balance...

If your costs are approaching $400, you could actually get a decent 3D printer from China: http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_441281.html for the same price.

Unfortunately while FDM (most all consumer printers use FDM) can be great for prototypes, I have yet to really find an area where it can be used as a final part. Shapeways uses SLS nylon which has far better material properties and finish compared to FDM.

Last edited:

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
Current state of the project! Everything fits! Now I just need to work on cutting down on the material volume for the inner frame. As you can see, the window will really only allow you to see the radiator and fluid flow since the GPU will be mounted in the lower portion under the vent. This design also allows for much better support for the GPU so it won't sag when installed in the case. Final exterior dimensions (LxWxT) 250mm x 208mm x 90mm for a final volume of 4.68L

Last edited:

darksidecookie

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 1, 2016
Honestly please, please do your research before buying a 3D printer. I recommend the Original Prusa i3 mk2 to start out as it'll save a ton of headache. Owning your own does quickly become worthwhile in comparison to an online service.
yea our school recently bought a couple prusa's (they where 700€/piece tho) and they are awesome, but there are cheaper variants (replicas?) of this model witch a classmate bought and he has had a lot of problems with it( having to buy extra fans to beter cool the plastic because the where just not included and such)

Shapeways calculates their pricing based off of material volume and build (machine space) volume. The problem with large parts through Shapeways is that it takes up space on the machine that could be used to pack other 3D prints in thus increasing the cost.
could slitting the internal frame up in multiple pieces and afterwards assembling it be a viable solution?

and just out of curiosity, how are you giong to secure the window?
but great progress!

Reactions: Zackmd1

entropy

Caliper Novice
May 17, 2017
Honestly please, please do your research before buying a 3D printer. I recommend the Original Prusa i3 mk2 to start out as it'll save a ton of headache. Owning your own does quickly become worthwhile in comparison to an online service.

You are right an original Prusa i3 would be much better, but also almost double the cost and smaller build volume. I actually tried to buy this but they were on backorder for weeks the last time I checked.

Unfortunately while FDM (most all consumer printers use FDM) can be great for prototypes, I have yet to really find an area where it can be used as a final part. Shapeways uses SLS nylon which has far better material properties and finish compared to FDM.

The professional print services should produce higher quality part especially with SLS. Do keep us updated, I would be interested if you find a good balance between the quality and price.

Reactions: Zackmd1

Davila

Trash Compacter
May 28, 2017
Would this case be a viable option if I were looking to make an x299 build? I don't know much about airflow and other thermal topics, so I just came to ask a quick question.

Great job on the case!

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
You are right an original Prusa i3 would be much better, but also almost double the cost and smaller build volume. I actually tried to buy this but they were on backorder for weeks the last time I checked.
Stock issues aside, it's my personal preference to have a high quality, continuously upgradable solution - even at the cost of a smaller build volume.

Reactions: entropy

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
could slitting the internal frame up in multiple pieces and afterwards assembling it be a viable solution?

That could potentially be an option! Another option would be scaling back the 3D printed parts to just a few key parts that would otherwise be difficult to produce.

and just out of curiosity, how are you giong to secure the window?

They were not present in the render but I plan to use countersunk m3 screws to attach all panels.

Would this case be a viable option if I were looking to make an x299 build? I don't know much about airflow and other thermal topics, so I just came to ask a quick question.

This could potentially be used for an x299 build! I doubt you would be able to watercool the CPU and GPU but having a fully watercooled CPU with a dual slot air cooled GPU should be possible!

Davila

Trash Compacter
May 28, 2017
This could potentially be used for an x299 build! I doubt you would be able to watercool the CPU and GPU but having a fully watercooled CPU with a dual slot air cooled GPU should be possible!

Awesome! When are you planning to roll the first few cases out?

Runamok81

Runner of Moks
Jul 27, 2015
troywitthoeft.com
This is one of the more interesting designs going on. A practical, good-looking sub 5L watercooled mini ITX case would be a big hit. That last render is gorgeous. Some questions...

Can you explain the airflow. From the last render, is air being pulled through the rad and then exhausted? Will there be an option to reverse that? Also -in regards to airflow- would that case edge vent pattern be disruptive or restrictive? Or will it flow just fine. It looks great, but wondering if their is an option to make it optional? Make it an insert, so folks could run naked edge? Or sub in different 80mm grills?

These iterations are looking good! Can't wait to see how this progresses.

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
Which CPU cooler you wanna use ? there is so low space between cpu and gpu

The plan is to allow support for 27mm high 1U coolers such as the Zalman CNPS2X or the Thermaltake Engine 27. These coolers are only expected to be used though in the event that you wanted to use the radiator solely for the GPU.

Can you explain the airflow. From the last render, is air being pulled through the rad and then exhausted? Will there be an option to reverse that? Also -in regards to airflow- would that case edge vent pattern be disruptive or restrictive? Or will it flow just fine. It looks great, but wondering if their is an option to make it optional? Make it an insert, so folks could run naked edge? Or sub in different 80mm grills?

Fresh cool air is intended to be pulled into the case from the top (or side depending on the orientation) and pushed through the radiator. The radiator fans can be configured with 2x 25mm x 80mm fans in either push or pull configuration or 4x 15mm x 80mm fans for a push/pull setup. From there it is intended to be exhausted out the bottom vents. Just by surface area alone, the bottom vent should be more then capable without the need of the front vent. The idea I am toying with right now is designing all vents to support modder's mesh. This would allow me to further drop the price of the 3D printed frame and allow for more customization.

Zackmd1

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 3, 2016
So as a general question, does anyone have any suggestions for aluminum cutting/bending services? I am looking into the possibility of having most of the case manufactured traditionally (bent aluminum) and use 3D printing for only the parts that would otherwise be to difficult to produce.