• Total voters

AlexTzone

I design minimalistic – but not boring – PC stuff
Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
Hi everyone, I got my mjolnir a few days back and can't wait to build in it!
What I want is to build a pc that will still be viable in years to come and I want it to be a gaming PC. I don't have the skills to build a custom loop or anything.. so the options i have are either air cooling or AIO cooling.

I've had my eyes on the Ryzen 5900x as my CPU of choice and wondered whether the 120mm AIO's will be enough to cool such a CPU?

Thanks in advance!
That's awesome, how are you liking the case so far? :D

I have a 5900x myself, running on a 120mm Corsair H55 + Noctua NF-A12x25. It holds 65-70C in synthetics (like Prime95) so it's not going to be a problem at all for less demanding tasks like gaming etc. Running such a monster on air cooling would not be a good idea, so I definitely thing you should put your mind at easy with an AIO.

Reactions: N9neBreak3r

N9neBreak3r

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 17, 2020
One constructive comment I'd like to make regarding the use of the Booster Cell. Since the power button is now in the front, you either need to coil up and hide the length of 2 wire cable from the rear power button, or remove it. If the design is to have folks leave the PCB/button in place, a quick disconnect rather than a hardwired cable would be nice.
You could always use the rear power button as a reset button ;) though I just coiled mine up and zip tied it since I have no need for a reset button!

Jooff

Chassis Packer
Jul 16, 2021
Just buy the FormD T1 custom cables from Pslate. That's what I have in my Mjolnir, and they fit perfect! I have my PSU in the standard non flipped orientation, I do not know how they will fit if you flip your psu. I also bought the standard psu orientation FormD T1 cables from Pslate, at the time I bought them they offered them in flipped and standard orientation. If you want pictures of how the cables look/fit in Mjolnir just let me know and I'll post them! Hope this helps!
some pictures of your cabling fitment would be very much appreciated

TKizzle

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Dec 20, 2021
That's awesome, how are you liking the case so far? :D

I have a 5900x myself, running on a 120mm Corsair H55 + Noctua NF-A12x25. It holds 65-70C in synthetics (like Prime95) so it's not going to be a problem at all for less demanding tasks like gaming etc. Running such a monster on air cooling would not be a good idea, so I definitely thing you should put your mind at easy with an AIO.
It's beautiful! Loving just looking at it, no imperfections or missing rubber pieces :D
Thank you for your response, that's made me feel a lot better.
A quick question regarding AIO's, is the H55 a better option over the H60? What's the difference? Also, will I need to undervolt the 5900x?

N9neBreak3r

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 17, 2020
thanks.
If he was doing a set for mjolnir though, would it have tighter cabling? cuz i see that youre not using a 120mm rad with a fan there so the slack on the cables is fine, but with mine, any slack would get caught up in the fan :/
I am using a 120mm radiator with fan, that was a picture from the build in progress that showed off the cables more. Here's the completed build (scroll to the 8th picture for a close up of the cables against the radiator/fan):

Reactions: beerbuddha

wolfatpno

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 8, 2018
Well, Alex I don't want to rush you guys. However, it has been five days since I sent an e-mail because I wanted to proceed with the new purchase and the exchange of defective products at the same time.

Artimunor

Caliper Novice
Oct 14, 2021
Neither of those will fit. The only 240mm radiator I know of that fits in Mjolnir is the hanjiang 240, but I isn't a good option due to how thin it is and the fact that you can only use one fan on it inside Mjolnir.
I'd reccomend a 120mm aio for your 12600k, setting the fan on the radiator to intake and the other top mounted fan as exhaust. And use the booster cell fan as exhaust. Your definetly going to have to use the performance side panel for the gpu side, but you could definetly use the glass panel on the cpu side if you want.

Thanks for your help so far, you are super helpful to many on this forum.
Sadly the only 120mm available in my country for 1700 socket is the NZXT Kraken 120 (i would have prefered an ASUS as my videocard and motherboard are from the same brand)
I would complement that with:
- 1x Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM chromax.black.swap (Bottom of the Case next to the AIO, becoming top after rotating for better thermals)
- 1x Noctua NF-A12x15-PWM chromax.black.swap (Booster Cell)

Does this seem OK to you?

N9neBreak3r

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 17, 2020
Thanks for your help so far, you are super helpful to many on this forum.
Sadly the only 120mm available in my country for 1700 socket is the NZXT Kraken 120 (i would have prefered an ASUS as my videocard and motherboard are from the same brand)
I would complement that with:
- 1x Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM chromax.black.swap (Bottom of the Case next to the AIO, becoming top after rotating for better thermals)
- 1x Noctua NF-A12x15-PWM chromax.black.swap (Booster Cell)

Does this seem OK to you?
Mjolnir can only fit a 15mm fan in the position adjacent to where your 120mm radiator would go. So you should get another nf-a12x15 instead of the nf-a12x25. I personally have no experience with the Kraken 120, but I believe someone on this thread reported problems installing it in Mjolnir due to the aio tubes being too short. It was several months and several pages back on this thread if I'm remembering correctly. Check into that before you buy it just to be safe.

dman15

Chassis Packer
Oct 23, 2021
Mjolnir can only fit a 15mm fan in the position adjacent to where your 120mm radiator would go. So you should get another nf-a12x15 instead of the nf-a12x25. I personally have no experience with the Kraken 120, but I believe someone on this thread reported problems installing it in Mjolnir due to the aio tubes being too short. It was several months and several pages back on this thread if I'm remembering correctly. Check into that before you buy it just to be safe.
The kraken M22 fits just fine, it just doesn't perform very well.

If you can find a cooler master ML120L V2 in your area if you can't get the Corsair h60

AlexTzone

I design minimalistic – but not boring – PC stuff
Original poster
THOR ZONE
Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2017
thor-zone.com
Hi guys!

Many have asked us to provide optimal cable measurements for MJOLNIR (Corsair SF450/600/750), which I've created for my personal rig a couple months back. Now that MJOLNIR fulfillment has eased up (Batch 2/3 99.5% shipped) I've finally had time to summarize my measurements into a document. Really hope this helps someone tidy up their build, get rid of excess cables and further improve thermals. Feel free to share this doc with vendors (PSLATE, CableMod, etc) if you want to avoid making them yourself (requires tools, a lot of patience and is a bit risky).

Originally I wanted to make these in PET sleeving, but by the time it came to installing the 24-pin they were way too thick. Ended up modifying my existing Corsair SF600 cables, which worked out perfectly and saved me from buying a bunch of new wires, sleeving and connector housings. So for anyone pursuing these measurements I strongly recommend PARACORD sleeving and 18 AWG wire gauge, or modify your stock Corsair cables like I did. Further down the road we plan to release another set of measurements (TYPE II), for when the PSU is in the "not flipped / normal" position, but this isn't as optimal as the current TYPE I (no cable clutter above the AIO and a couple other benefits).

We're planning to officially publish this doc on our website tomorrow, so please let me know if anything is unclear or can be improved :)

HERE'S THE DOC

Merry Christmas guys, hope you have a nice holiday with family and friends!

Artimunor

Caliper Novice
Oct 14, 2021

i had to return it, no socket 1700 brackets, the shop told me only for the kraken z series and the 120mm is m series
thank you for the remark about the fan, i have ordered another 15mm.

i have a bit problem with finding a correct 120mm AIO for socket 1700 btw.
called to many shops and non of them had any suggestions, asus europe not picking up phone, and 2 other manufacturers would like to help but currently do not have anything 120mm-ish

will search more after holidays.
merry Christmas everyone!

Ekynox360

Efficiency Noob
Dec 27, 2021
Hello everyone. I just ordered Mjolnir. This will be my first such small case. For the moment, I have not bought anything else. I'm thinking of getting a Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX motherboard with an AMD Ryzen 7 5800X. But since its TDP is 105W, I have to install a water cooling, right? Or is it possible to keep an air cooling with the CPU undervolted? I am listening to your advice for the choice of the motherboard if you think that the Gigabyte is not good.

RE4MATT3D

Average Stuffer
Jan 11, 2021
@AlexTzone How does the Thor Zone Gen 4 riser compare to the LINKUP - Ultra PCIe 4.0 X16 Riser Cable? I'm looking to pick one up and even with insane shipping it's cheaper to get it overseas from you. (and they're is black/brown.. who does that?)

beerbuddha

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 27, 2021
@AlexTzone How does the Thor Zone Gen 4 riser compare to the LINKUP - Ultra PCIe 4.0 X16 Riser Cable? I'm looking to pick one up and even with insane shipping it's cheaper to get it overseas from you. (and they're is black/brown.. who does that?)

Question for you - does it hurt if you buy this linkup one first and use it before getting the new riser since its will take some time to get it

RE4MATT3D

Average Stuffer
Jan 11, 2021
Question for you - does it hurt if you buy this linkup one first and use it before getting the new riser since its will take some time to get it
Nope. But I'm trying to avoid spending $80 for the riser, and if I do, then I wouldn't want to spend another $50 for the Thor Zone riser.

But I'm still running an older card for now so there's also no reason I can't wait for the Thor Zone riser to ship.