Production Meshlicious Redesign - Vertical, 280AIO mainstream case

Dawelio

Awesomeness
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
Here is the full build guide for those interested: https://www.performance-computer.com/builds/ssupd-meshlicious/

Hope it helps someone out there. Will eventually get a founders 3080 at MSRP to finish this one...
Then you'll most likely have to wait untill 2023 my friend unfortunately.

Nvidia has recently gone public with saying that supply will be very restrained for the entirety of 2022. And at that point, the 4000 series will most likely already be on the horizon.

To add to this, seeing as the demand is still just so high, even till this day and during next year, MSRP is basically something you can throw out the window.
Due to this insane demand, every single GPU will be sold straight away and hence no stock will be able to persist at retailers, hence the prices will be high for some time into the future unfortunately.

Also seeing as TSMC is basically the chip maker in the world, for all the big tech companies out there, ie Apple, Nvidia, AMD, Sony, Microsoft etc. And now Intel is also a customer for their next generation CPUs. You can now see the insane demand and how it will affect basically everything out there in the world.

Sure, they are building new manufacturing facilites etc, but those take time to build and then it will take time for those facilities to even start producting products. So that will be atleast untill 2023, at best, untill those are being utilized.

Us, gamers, are a small percentage unfortunately in the overall scheme of things, so cars etc will be more prioritized than us.

Reactions: Talyrius and kiehl

avon

Case Bender
New User
Apr 28, 2020
All of the accessories are in stock at newegg! Finally got my mesh side panel.
Bit of caution for those that order the extra panels from Newegg. I bought a black mesh panel and received a white glass panel. Seems like the SKUs on the site are all the same amongst the extra panels. I'm currently trying to get a replacement from Newegg.

• Wow
Reactions: Talyrius

Dawelio

Awesomeness
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
Well considering Newegg’s current show with Gigabyte, I’d be cautious of them… Especially now overall seeing as ordering the side panels didn’t work correctly.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Then you'll most likely have to wait untill 2023 my friend unfortunately.

Nvidia has recently gone public with saying that supply will be very restrained for the entirety of 2022. And at that point, the 4000 series will most likely already be on the horizon.

To add to this, seeing as the demand is still just so high, even till this day and during next year, MSRP is basically something you can throw out the window.
Due to this insane demand, every single GPU will be sold straight away and hence no stock will be able to persist at retailers, hence the prices will be high for some time into the future unfortunately.

Also seeing as TSMC is basically the chip maker in the world, for all the big tech companies out there, ie Apple, Nvidia, AMD, Sony, Microsoft etc. And now Intel is also a customer for their next generation CPUs. You can now see the insane demand and how it will affect basically everything out there in the world.

Sure, they are building new manufacturing facilites etc, but those take time to build and then it will take time for those facilities to even start producting products. So that will be atleast untill 2023, at best, untill those are being utilized.

Agreed, as long as the demand is there and supply chain can't keep up I don't see GPUs selling for MSRP any time soon.

Adding to this, there are some other major factors why MSRP / normal availability won't happening soon:
  • Supply and demand - many people are still staying at home due to Covid and are spending much more money on electronics (PCs, Notebooks, Apples, consoles, smartphones, etc) than they would normally do. Nobody was prepared for that sudden, high demand down the supply chain and catching up will take a while.
  • Crypto Miners - China has banned them but they just moved on to other countries - the demand for hardware from the "Mining Industry" will remain high unless governments step in or it starts to get non-profitable
  • Value - Nvidia, AMD & Co. have realized that people are willing to pay more for their hardware and therefore won't lower their prices - unless they see a major decline in sales - GamerNexus already said that a few months back and seeing the MSRP of the 6600XT more or less confirms it.
  • Shipping - shipping time and shipping rates have increased a lot after Covid started - same like the chip crisis, nobody expected the huge demand - shipping companies can't keep up fast enough to provide new capacity
  • Covid - many countries where hardware, parts and components are made/assembled have been hit hard once more with Covid and factories had to shut down due to local outbreaks - remember, a graphics card does also need a heatsink, mosfets, caps, chokes, etc...
Unfortunately GPUs are not the only thing where prices and availability is impacted. Working closely with the power supply and machinery industry I've seen prices and lead times going up rapidly in the past couple of months for all kinds of materials - be it metal, caps, chokes, etc...

PS: Prioritizing the car industry doesn't have much to do with this. Automotive only makes up for 4 to 5 percent of TSMCs business. The majority is still HPC (CPUs, GPUs, etc) plus chips for smartphones. Same like us PC enthusiasts, they were hit very hard and didn't see this coming.

Long story short - if I'd need a new GPU and would find one for a "reasonable" price I would grab it - if not, I'd wait this whole thing out.

robojim

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 18, 2020
Agreed, as long as the demand is there and supply chain can't keep up I don't see GPUs selling for MSRP any time soon.

Adding to this, there are some other major factors why MSRP / normal availability won't happening soon:
  • Supply and demand - many people are still staying at home due to Covid and are spending much more money on electronics (PCs, Notebooks, Apples, consoles, smartphones, etc) than they would normally do. Nobody was prepared for that sudden, high demand down the supply chain and catching up will take a while.
  • Crypto Miners - China has banned them but they just moved on to other countries - the demand for hardware from the "Mining Industry" will remain high unless governments step in or it starts to get non-profitable
  • Value - Nvidia, AMD & Co. have realized that people are willing to pay more for their hardware and therefore won't lower their prices - unless they see a major decline in sales - GamerNexus already said that a few months back and seeing the MSRP of the 6600XT more or less confirms it.
  • Shipping - shipping time and shipping rates have increased a lot after Covid started - same like the chip crisis, nobody expected the huge demand - shipping companies can't keep up fast enough to provide new capacity
  • Covid - many countries where hardware, parts and components are made/assembled have been hit hard once more with Covid and factories had to shut down due to local outbreaks - remember, a graphics card does also need a heatsink, mosfets, caps, chokes, etc...
Unfortunately GPUs are not the only thing where prices and availability is impacted. Working closely with the power supply and machinery industry I've seen prices and lead times going up rapidly in the past couple of months for all kinds of materials - be it metal, caps, chokes, etc...

PS: Prioritizing the car industry doesn't have much to do with this. Automotive only makes up for 4 to 5 percent of TSMCs business. The majority is still HPC (CPUs, GPUs, etc) plus chips for smartphones. Same like us PC enthusiasts, they were hit very hard and didn't see this coming.

Long story short - if I'd need a new GPU and would find one for a "reasonable" price I would grab it - if not, I'd wait this whole thing out.
The Automotive industry won't take up too much capacity but they are able to overpay for their chips because of how much it affects their ability to sell a car so the foundries will likely make sure they get their due.

That said, I don't think TSMC/Samsung capacity is the major bottleneck anyway as much as other points in the supply chain (substrate material, DDR/NAND prices, capacitors, inductors, raw materials). They're all working together and as you mentioned, until demand levels out, we won't se drops in prices.

Edit: I hope with Intel joining in the fray with Arc GPUs though, it creates a modest amount of downward pressure. Top Alchemist GPU perf is expected to be somewhere between 3070 and 3070Ti but with 16GB of memory.

Reactions: REVOCCASES

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
The Automotive industry won't take up too much capacity but they are able to overpay for their chips because of how much it affects their ability to sell a car so the foundries will likely make sure they get their due.

Having worked in the automotive industry before I agree that they will do anything to get their parts. We once had to hire a helicopter back in the day just to get some spare parts to VW and keep the production lines running 😅

But again, their chips are not one of the major causes for the issues we are currently seeing for GPUs. Most of the chips that are missing to make cars are not even made in the same fabs as GPUs.

IMO it somehow all comes down to Covid and the related effects it has/had on the world - in one way or another.

Edit: if someone from the automobile industry is to blame then it's Mr. Musk for his "self driving" cars and comments about crypto currencies. /s

Last edited:

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
IMO it somehow all comes down to Covid and the related effects it has/had on the world - in one way or another.
That's a huge factor, but the supply chain issues have been building up over several years, and were in the making long before Covid. Increased overall silicon demand without silicon ingot supply scaling to follow; vast increases in demand for RAM and flash, both of which further increase silicon demand; the silicon packaging industry which seems to have been entirely asleep at the wheel during this growth; consolidation across the lithography industry, with ever fewer actors providing cutting-edge nodes (with the same having happened across RAM, HDDs and flash a bit earlier, with much the same results); ASML as literally the only source for high-end lithography equipment, with very limited production capabilities; EUV creating all kinds of bottlenecks across the entire supply chain - and so on and so on. Quite frankly it's surprising that we havent' had major bottlenecks like these show up earlier. Covid arrived at a very opportune moment to screw everything over by simultaneously increasing demand while disrupting mining, refinement, shipping, and other supply-side dynamics. But if the industry hadn't already been headed for a ditch, they likely wouldn't have crashed, and if Covid hadn't arrived, we'd likely still have seen a (milder and more stretched out) variant of what we're seeing today at some slightly later point.

Dawelio

Awesomeness
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
I do love the discussion and enthusiasm that is going on in here, and hate to break it up… But feeling a bit like it has gone way off topic.

This thread is about the Meshlicious case and less so about the current problems with Covid, silicon, shortages etc.

ricardo.vix

Cable Smoosher
Aug 26, 2021
Hello Guys! I have a meshlicious with riser 3.0 but yesterday a friend offered me an adt-link riser 4.0. The problem is that his riser have 185mm length, while the meshlicious riser have 140mm.

Does anyone know if it's possible to squeeze a 185mm riser in the meshlicious default configuration (I have a RTX 3080 TUF)? I don't know if it's possible because the riser "fold" wouldn't be so tight as the 140mm version.

Also, I'm waiting for the standoffs to arrive, because I'll make the standoff mode on the GPU side, so maybe it helps with the space to fold the riser.

Thank you!

Dawelio

Awesomeness
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
Hello Guys! I have a meshlicious with riser 3.0 but yesterday a friend offered me an adt-link riser 4.0. The problem is that his riser have 185mm length, while the meshlicious riser have 140mm.

Does anyone know if it's possible to squeeze a 185mm riser in the meshlicious default configuration (I have a RTX 3080 TUF)? I don't know if it's possible because the riser "fold" wouldn't be so tight as the 140mm version.

Also, I'm waiting for the standoffs to arrive, because I'll make the standoff mode on the GPU side, so maybe it helps with the space to fold the riser.

Thank you!

Considering it's 45mm difference, ie 4,5 cm longer, I wouldn't see it as an issue. The "bend" in the riser itself, would just be lower down than the original one.

My concern however would be the ends of it, if they are the same or not. Seeing as "normal" risers doesn't have the end that connects to the motherboards x16 slot, like the Meshlicious has.

Reactions: ricardo.vix

bruub

Caliper Novice
Nov 30, 2017
Bit of caution for those that order the extra panels from Newegg. I bought a black mesh panel and received a white glass panel. Seems like the SKUs on the site are all the same amongst the extra panels. I'm currently trying to get a replacement from Newegg.
Same thing happened to me, it was just delivered. I opened the box to find a white glass side panel. Annoyed does not begin to describe how I feel lol. Black mesh says out of stock on Newegg now... It looks like the factory is packing the wrong item in the wrong boxes before sending them to Newegg. The SKU on the box was SSU-ACC-MESHLI-SIDE-M-BK but it contained a white tg panel.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: rfarmer

ricardo.vix

Cable Smoosher
Aug 26, 2021
Considering it's 45mm difference, ie 4,5 cm longer, I wouldn't see it as an issue. The "bend" in the riser itself, would just be lower down than the original one.

My concern however would be the ends of it, if they are the same or not. Seeing as "normal" risers doesn't have the end that connects to the motherboards x16 slot, like the Meshlicious has.

You mean the dual reverse connections? If yes, his cable also have dual reverse connections, because he used in an K55 case:

Reactions: Dawelio

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015

Thank you!
You mean the dual reverse connections? If yes, his cable also have dual reverse connections, because he used in an K55 case:

I have this riser also, it will fit, extra length = awkward bend, but will fit.

EDIT: I don’t know the quality of the Riser, don’t have the equipment to test long term.

Last edited:
Reactions: ricardo.vix

Clevername3000

Efficiency Noob
Nov 21, 2017
Has anyone discussed making a replacement panel for the top that can hold a 25x140 or 120 mm fan? I'd love to see that, at the least something you could 3d print.

BRSxIgnition

Master of Cramming
Mar 15, 2020
Has anyone discussed making a replacement panel for the top that can hold a 25x140 or 120 mm fan? I'd love to see that, at the least something you could 3d print.
Wouldn't fit - even a 92mm x 14mm fan is relatively tight.

With some careful spacing I could maybe see a 120mm x 15mm fan working but I haven't checked or measured for that.