Production Meshlicious Redesign - Vertical, 280AIO mainstream case

akisu

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 15, 2019
Reactions: DrHudacris

Marvelm

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 20, 2017
Got hands on with the MSI Suprim X 3080 (326mm long) just now, so the MSI Gaming X Trio 30XX (323mm long), should not be a problem.

The Top Panel will close *without bulging out. I had to use the *lowest install position for GPU. This leaves 33mm of space for HDMI / DP Cables. and that is not enough for straight cables, so we have 2 solutions coming:
1) we will provide 3D Print Ready tall feet design on the website very soon, these feet will lift the case higher off the ground to make room for *regular / straight HDMI / DP Cables.
2) buy angled cables yourself or from our website.

If used with a GPU less than 320mm long, you can mount the GPU at the *second lowest position, and not have to worry about the above - just use low profile cables that are widely available.

Do you confirm White option will not be available for first preorders on Newegg?

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015

2020-02-03: MSI GPU update​

MSI Suprim X fits, all 326mm of it, so MSI Gaming X Trio should also.

This is possible on the lowest GPU mounting position, leaving 33mm left for DP/HDMI cable. This is NOT enough for most cables. So we have 2 solutions coming:
1) we will provide 3D Print Ready tall feet file on the website soon, these feet will lift the case higher to make room for *regular / straight HDMI / DP Cables.

If used with a GPU less than 320mm long, you can mount the GPU at the *second lowest position, leaving 43mm for cables, then low profile regular cables that are widely available should work fine.

Last edited:

SimonAdit

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Feb 2, 2021

2020-02-03: MSI GPU update​

MSI Suprim X fits, all 326mm of it, so MSI Gaming X Trio should also.

This is possible on the lowest GPU mounting position, leaving 33mm left for DP/HDMI cable. This is NOT enough for most cables. So we have 2 solutions coming:
1) we will provide 3D Print Ready tall feet file on the website soon, these feet will lift the case higher to make room for *regular / straight HDMI / DP Cables.

If used with a GPU less than 320mm long, you can mount the GPU at the *second lowest position, leaving 43mm for cables, then low profile regular cables that are widely available should work fine.
Thank you Wahaha, that answered my questions.
For Rx6000 which are equipped with a usb-c port i can also imagine using an adapter of this type when they are compatible 80 Gb / s (8K / 60Hz)

Reactions: BRSxIgnition

ApocPony

Cable Smoosher
Jul 9, 2019
I'll be 3d printing my own feet for the case, are there already aligned screw holes in each corner where the rubber standoffs are? Would save me doing any drilling 😜

BRSxIgnition

Master of Cramming
Mar 15, 2020
Would be nice to get a detailed compatibility list for GPUs and CPU coolers based on 3 slot and 4 slot modes.

Was almost about the get an Aorus Master or MSI Suprim before I remembered it wouldn't work with NZXT AIOs in 4 slot mode.

Rich_Holm

Caliper Novice
Feb 3, 2021
Made an account to join in here: I was thinking the same thing except I realized an SF750 would need to be mounted with the fan/intake side outwards, to the left (as per OT's video). Seems like that tempered glass panel would starve that intake, but would love to hear any other take on that. Also not sure what the clearance would be between the PSU and the panel.

Given that the same space fits SFX and ATX PSUs, theoretically there's 86mm (ATX PSU thickness) - 63.5mm (SFX PSU thickness) = 22.5mm clearance between the SFX fan opening and the glass, depending on whether the SFX mount is aligned with the spine or spaced out from it. Though looking at the SFX mounting plate it seems the mount is adjustable with several sets of screw holes - in the OT video it looks to be mounted near flush with the side panel, though I don't think you need to put it that far out, but it doesn't look like SFX PSUs mount quite as close to the spine as ATX PSUs do.

Manual page 26 confirms that, airflow should be fine.

Ah yeah, that is a useful diagram. So mounting it in position 2 would leave a gap that should probably be enough, as it seems the PSUs dont heat up too much nowadays anyways. At least with my current SF600, the fan is rarely running even under some load.

Position 1 is where the PSU fan (say,SF750) is facing out (to the side panel).
Judging from the diagram, the SFX PSU can be moved inward and gains about 10mm space between its fan and the side panel. Maybe this is enough? Personally, I would still prefer a mesh side panel though.

Like lolcat I made an account to join the conversation. Just finished reading all 49 pages about this wonderful ITX case.

Currently have a NR200p and while I can technically 3d print some stuff to make a top hat AIO possible I really like the idea of a smaller footprint case (vertical). Only bummer is not being able to see the RGB of the GPU since my case sits on the right of my desk.

Specs
5900x w/ cryorig h7
Corsair vengeance 32gb ram RGB
EVGA 3080 ftw3
Asus B550-I
Corsair SF750 PSU

Seems the logical thing as others have pointed out is to run the TG panel on the CPU side. There was discussion of running the PSU with the fan INBOARD towards the mobo...but after seeing in the manual page 26 the 2 position options, position 2 would give a decent gap between the PSU and the TG panel.

With that gap between the PSU and TG, does it still seem advisable/preferred to run the fan towards the mobo or would that gap suffice? I also agree with @lolcat that my PSU fan seldom turns on, but it currently gets fresh air.

Also as I do not have an AIO yet...but I already have 120mm noctua fans...should I stick with a 240mm AIO and throw my 120mms on there or is the upgrade to a 280mm worth the hassle of selling my 120mm stuff for 140mm fans? Figure the 280 will run quieter/cooler...but noctuas are pretty darn quiet as it is.

Thanks and can't wait to preorder next week!

xiso

Caliper Novice
Aug 24, 2020
MSI MPG B550I GAMING EDGE WIFI 's power header is too inside.
Meshlicious's I/O cable is long enough?

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
@Wahaha360

Thank you for the pics of a C8I build above...!

A few questions though...

Stock PCIe Gen3 cable:

PCI-E 3.0 Riser Cable features as a 185mm slim, flat and foldable design for better cable management combining elegance with functionality. The design is compatible with PCI-E 3.0 standard, and features a high-frequency and low-resistance PCB design to reduce interference.
  • 185 mm Length
  • Dual reverse connectors
  • Compatible with PCI-E 3.0 standard
  • Vertical mount gaming PCI express
Stock PCIe Gen4 cable:

PCI-E 4.0 Riser Cable is custom fitted by LINKUP. Fully tested and fully compatible with newly released NVIDIA RTX3000 series GPU, AMD RX6000 series GPU and AMD X570 motherboards.
  • 140 mm Length
  • Dual reverse connectors
  • Compatible with PCI-E 4.0 standard
  • Vertical mount gaming PCI express
  • 90 degree angle adapter (I corrected this, says "angel" on website)
Stated length of PCIe Gen4 cable used (in the C8I build) above is 200mm...?

So is there a typo on the length of the PCIe Gen4 cable that is an accessory on the SSUPD website...?

Because if a 185mm long PCIe Gen3 cable just fits with mITX (meaning too short to work with a mDTX mobo), how is a 140mm long PCIe Gen4 cable supposed to fit...?

For use with the alternate GPU position (inverted horizontal) the manual states that an optional 180mm cable is needed, but the chassis comes with a 185mm cable (PCIe Gen3) stock...?

And in light of the issues with the NZXT H1 chassis (fire hazard from the PCIe riser cable?), is there any possibility of this being an issue with the Mesh-Licious chassis...?

Thanks...!

This is more explanation problem than a typo.

The 185mm PCIe 3.0 Riser sold is for *horizontal GPU installation, short or ITX sized GPUs. The horizontal GPU installation on Meshlicious is a standard sandwich layout, so it uses the same riser like any other sandwich case.

However, for most people, they will install the GPU vertically, which will use the 90 degree bend riser, 140mm for a snug fit on *mini-ITX.

However, for you, mini-DTX or ROG C8I, you will need 180mm with *reverse connector or 200mm without *reverse connectors.

I will tell web dev to update the copy, we will probably need an image also to explain the different Riser length.

Good catch, thanks man!

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
is there any insight or information on how much the full mesh chassis weighs? I know that the current 1 mesh 1 tempered glass configuration is approx. 3.7kg. i'm trying to slim down to a portable case that i could take out of town on roadtrips, ideally i want the lightest configuration.

About the same, the mesh requires steel frame to reinforce it from flexing, so the mesh side panel and tg side panel ends up about the same weight.

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
Lmao, so why even show the white version this early if it won't be in people's hands until May?

I mean, sure, black version looks nice but, damn.
Yeah I guess so - I got burned by this on the 'E-White' T1 as well.

That said, I think companies shouldn't show or promise stuff like that until they've got it down to a science - the E-White T1 made it all the way to its shipping dates for preorders before it was cancelled for all who ordered it.

Best to err on the side of caution if you don't know if you'll be able to produce a product/color and just save the announcement until you know for sure.
All of this is exactly why they - and others - shouldn't show their case in white unless they are 100% certain they'll be able to satisfy the QC needed for it and fill all of those orders.

I hope things work out regarding the white Meshlicious, but I don't have my hopes up.

I understand both your frustration and caution about white color.

1. Like Valantar said, not all white color are the same level of difficulty.
In terms of difficulty, E-White > Anodizing Silver White-ish (not really white) > Cerakote Painted White > Painted White.​
Meshlicious white is the most mature finish among the options. It's also paint on sheet metal, which is also quite mature.​
2. The thing with products is that you have to test them. for color, you have to see it with different lighting. So this is a prototype, and among the many prototypes we are testing.

3. Showing prototypes is not the issue, taking orders on prototypes is the problem with T1 and other projects.

In some ways, the most challenging problems are the ones that I find most interesting, so let's just say E-White problems and white color problems in general has made white color the most interesting project for 2021.

I think the best way to fix the white color drama is just making it available. Just because you fail once, doesn't mean you shouldn't try again. This time, we will *NOT take orders without inventory, so no real harm and let's see what happens.

greydock

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Feb 5, 2021
Hey everyone! I joined just to get in on the conversation too - it looks like a wicked case and I can't wait to get my hands on one. That being said, as with many SFF cases I'm a bit worried about availability.

@Wahaha360 is there any information on how many will be available in inventory on the 9th? Also is there a listing link for Newegg that we can take a look at yet?

robojim

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 18, 2020
Apparently on IG it was mentioned that the release on Newegg will be at Midnight PST on the 9th??? Why was the decision set like that 🤔

BRSxIgnition

Master of Cramming
Mar 15, 2020
I understand both your frustration and caution about white color.

1. Like Valantar said, not all white color are the same level of difficulty.
In terms of difficulty, E-White > Anodizing Silver White-ish (not really white) > Cerakote Painted White > Painted White.​
Meshlicious white is the most mature finish among the options. It's also paint on sheet metal, which is also quite mature.​
2. The thing with products is that you have to test them. for color, you have to see it with different lighting. So this is a prototype, and among the many prototypes we are testing.

3. Showing prototypes is not the issue, taking orders on prototypes is the problem with T1 and other projects.

In some ways, the most challenging problems are the ones that I find most interesting, so let's just say E-White problems and white color problems in general has made white color the most interesting project for 2021.

I think the best way to fix the white color drama is just making it available. Just because you fail once, doesn't mean you shouldn't try again. This time, we will *NOT take orders without inventory, so no real harm and let's see what happens.

Hi Wahaha,

Just wanted to take a second and say thank you for the update - and apologize if I've sounded a bit overly negative lately.

I understand the finishing processes for creating white cases can vary in production efficiency, complexity, and end results. Moreover, I didn't mean to make it sound like you and/or Lian-Li can't create a good-looking, white SFF case.

Rather, I was just expressing a bit of frustration with how things turned out with my E-White T1 order, and how, if the production process hasn't been finalized & QC'd, it may be best to hold off on announcing the colorway until it has been. That way, when it is announced, there won't be issues fulfilling those orders since you will know the finish works, and meets QA standards at capacity, etc.

Regarding that however, I fully understand that this and the E-White T1 use two different processes, that the Meshlicious White model was already produced, and from what I've seen on Instagram and Facebook, the white color looks damn good. too.

In the end, guess all I'm saying is that I know you'll figure it out and that I look forward to seeing both the Meshlicious and T1 in white, and in person.

All the best & good luck!

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
A grey all-mesh variant would be sweet; grey mesh front & side panels, with a black top mesh panel & black inner chassis...?