Production Meshlicious Redesign - Vertical, 280AIO mainstream case

MaZo

Average Stuffer
Dec 6, 2020
I get that this is meant to be an affordable case, but a mass-market case with a PCIe 3.0 riser cable in 2021 ... that's going to cause major issues. Zen 2, Zen 3 and Rocket Lake will all default to PCIe 4.0 with 4.0 GPUs (RDNA, RDNA 2, Ampere) meaning that any BIOS reset will require the user to either disassemble the build to install the GPU directly into the slot, or install a temporary 3.0 GPU just to get into the BIOS and set the link speed to 3.0... that's not the kind of troubleshooting you can expect from the average user. I foresee significant RMA issues from this.
If you’re unable to stick your 4.0 GPU in the mobo directly and switch it to 3.0 mode before using a riser, you probably shouldn’t be building your own PC to begin with.

BRSxIgnition

Master of Cramming
Mar 15, 2020
How do we expect the FE cards to fare in this case?

Badly - no room for pass-through.

If you’re unable to stick your 4.0 GPU in the mobo directly and switch it to 3.0 mode before using a riser, you probably shouldn’t be building your own PC to begin with.
Ah yes, let me just take apart my build, pull out my motherboard and plug my GPU in directly to the PCIE slot every single time there's a BIOS update.

That's convenient. /s

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
It would be really nice if people actually bothered to read before making snarky replies. I'm not talking about first-time setup, I'm talking about what happens when you (inevitably at some point) have to reset your BIOS after the PC is built - you'll then need to disassemble the PC almost entirely, removing the motherboard and GPU and undoing any cable management, just to insert the GPU directly into the board, boot into BIOS and set the PCIe link speed to 3.0, then rebuild everything. That takes a 30-second process entirely in the BIOS and makes it into a 30+ minute one with a completely disassembled PC and a bunch of hassle involved.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
@Boil Looking at the ATX/SFX PSU renders (photos?) here, I don't see how the C8I would have issues fitting with an SFX PSU. There's clearly plenty of clearance below the PCIe slot side of the ITX motherboard mount. It'll obviously mess with the riser length in some way, but it would probably be doable. Of course you'll have some serious issues fitting the m.2 riser card given its ~80mm height and the 72mm max CPU cooler clearance, but I guess you could hot-rod it and cut a small window in the mesh? After all, the FAQ doesn't say DTX is incompatible, just that "Meshlicious does not support Mini-DTX motherboard, and it’s not recommended". Which to me sounds like a pretty standard "at your own risk" statement.

MaZo

Average Stuffer
Dec 6, 2020
It would be really nice if people actually bothered to read before making snarky replies. I'm not talking about first-time setup, I'm talking about what happens when you (inevitably at some point) have to reset your BIOS after the PC is built - you'll then need to disassemble the PC almost entirely, removing the motherboard and GPU and undoing any cable management, just to insert the GPU directly into the board, boot into BIOS and set the PCIe link speed to 3.0, then rebuild everything. That takes a 30-second process entirely in the BIOS and makes it into a 30+ minute one with a completely disassembled PC and a bunch of hassle involved.
Sorry mate, didn’t mean it like that. Although this case is created for a bigger audience, the average PC user doesn’t assemble his or her own system. Anyone that does will probably read up enough to be aware of this limitation.

I see a 3.0 riser is listed as an optional accessory, so I guess it either comes with this or with none at all.

Reactions: Valantar

Legion

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 22, 2017
Might be difficult finding a 90degree display port adapter that supports DSC for my Samsung G9.
I like the white version

LcsWnbrg

Caliper Novice
Dec 28, 2020
I've seen the Video from OT and im wondering if smaller ATX PSU would fit. I dont know the exact measurements. But from a quick google serach the Corsair rm850x is 18cm deep while the standard ATX is just 14cm. 14cm ATX PSU with 850 watts go at least here in germany for about 100€ (~120$). But im not shure about this, maybe some else can confirm this.

SquareCubedBox

Chassis Packer
Sep 27, 2020
I get that this is meant to be an affordable case, but a mass-market case with a PCIe 3.0 riser cable in 2021 ... that's going to cause major issues. Zen 2, Zen 3 and Rocket Lake will all default to PCIe 4.0 with 4.0 GPUs (RDNA, RDNA 2, Ampere) meaning that any BIOS reset will require the user to either disassemble the build to install the GPU directly into the slot, or install a temporary 3.0 GPU just to get into the BIOS and set the link speed to 3.0... that's not the kind of troubleshooting you can expect from the average user. I foresee significant RMA issues from this.
Not to get off topic, but I think @WinterCharm extensively explained over at his Winter One thread why he chose to provide PCIE 3.0 riser cables (instead of 4.0) and it may be the reason why most manufacturers (even the big time ones) are still choosing PCIE 3.0 risers over 4.0. Might be a worthwhile read.

I'm just hoping that when PCIE 4.0 riser cables become more mainstream (or becomes the new standard) is that these manufacturers also offer to replace the PCIE 3.0 the cases originally came with at a much more appealing price than what it is right now. If my memory serves me right, most PCIE 4.0 cables cost ~100$ to purchase, which could have gone to other parts of your build.

Shinken1

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 3, 2019
No mention of DSC on this item.
I’ve tried 2 decent 1.4 Display Port cables and neither could utilise the full specs of the G9. Only the cable Samsung supplied worked.
Imagine the generic adapter you’ve mentioned might give issues, would need to try some out I guess

Jeronimod

Case Bender
New User
Dec 28, 2020
On the SSUPD site they say:
Can NZXT 240 or 280 AIO like X53, X63, Z53, Z63?
Unfortunately, the pump head on NZXT is too tall.
However, EKWB, Corsair, Lian Li 240 and 280 AIO have been tested to work.

But on OT video you can clearly see that he use a NZXT AOI Liquid cooler and I don't see a clearance issue with the pump head being too tall.

BRSxIgnition

Master of Cramming
Mar 15, 2020
On the SSUPD site they say:
Can NZXT 240 or 280 AIO like X53, X63, Z53, Z63?
Unfortunately, the pump head on NZXT is too tall.
However, EKWB, Corsair, Lian Li 240 and 280 AIO have been tested to work.

But on OT video you can clearly see that he use a NZXT AOI Liquid cooler and I don't see a clearance issue with the pump head being too tall.

Because they got mixed up and read the pump width/length as height on the NZXT site. They should all fit fine in 3 slot mode.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Sorry mate, didn’t mean it like that. Although this case is created for a bigger audience, the average PC user doesn’t assemble his or her own system. Anyone that does will probably read up enough to be aware of this limitation.

I see a 3.0 riser is listed as an optional accessory, so I guess it either comes with this or with none at all.
I would argue that exacerbates the problem, actually. If you're not assembling your own PC the likelihood of you knowing about this specific quirk or having the skills required to fix it are much lower, meaning that if a BIOS update or anything else wipes your CMOS, you're left with a PC that won't show an image whatsoever.

I really wish these GPUs were made so that they only activated a 4.0 link speed after being asked to do so by the driver, with a fallback mode if this fails to work.

MaZo

Average Stuffer
Dec 6, 2020
I would argue that exacerbates the problem, actually. If you're not assembling your own PC the likelihood of you knowing about this specific quirk or having the skills required to fix it are much lower, meaning that if a BIOS update or anything else wipes your CMOS, you're left with a PC that won't show an image whatsoever.

I really wish these GPUs were made so that they only activated a 4.0 link speed after being asked to do so by the driver, with a fallback mode if this fails to work.
Interestingly enough, the Mjolnir team ran a couple of tests recently and did not run into any riser issues. Not sure why, but the issue could be mobo or riser dependent.

avon

Case Bender
New User
Apr 28, 2020
They pronounce it Sunny Side Up in the video above, though ... where is the D in that? Can't say I get it, nor that I like the branding, but it's not like that matters much. Keeping the meshlicious name, though? I guess it's unique, but it's a poor choice IMO. Hard to say, doesn't sound good ... meh.

As for the average user not RMAing the case for that - not initially at least, I agree there. The issue then becomes them having a never-ending series of issues, never figuring out what is their problem, resulting in tons of frustration. Which will then be directed at the case once/if they actually figure this out. Unless they just sell it and move on, I guess.

The point being: this ins't a huge issue currently, but it is going to be one in 2021. There should at least be an option for a PCIe 4.0 compatible riser.
SSUPD - Sunny Side Up Design

They mention the full name on their blog post here: https://ssupd.com/blogs/news/first-post

robojim

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 18, 2020
Any idea about pump compatibility for any water cooled builds? I think I'll be getting this and an AIO before I do a full build but then again, I could also just get a custom loop for CPU only.

biopunk

Airflow Optimizer
Sep 24, 2020
Any idea about pump compatibility for any water cooled builds? I think I'll be getting this and an AIO before I do a full build but then again, I could also just get a custom loop for CPU only.
I've been sketching up a custom loop in Blender, as I see the options are:
1. CPU block/pump combo
- Barrow CPU pump block can fit only in 3-slot mode (it's 53mm tall without pump) and would require very low-profile fittings like Barrow 90-degree MF non-rotary.​
- Aquanaut can fit in both 3- and 4-slot modes. In 4-slot mode the fittings should be 28mm tall or shorter (TG panel might affect this).​
- Apogee Drive II can fit only in 3-slot mode.​
- Eisbaer LT solo - only if coupled with a non-restrictive rad.​
2. DDC pump with 62x62mm G1/4 top with a fill/drain port (example) can fit between SFX PSU and the radiator. Might be easier to fill and bleed if you add an extra fill port at the top of the loop and attach an external reservoir to it, or add QDC.
3. DDC pump with a 62x62mm <80mm tall reservoir top (example), ideally 50mm diameter cylindrical res for easier cable management. It should be possible to fill the loop through the reservoir while running the pump at a low speed but would be easier through an extra fill port somewhere at the top of the loop.
4. EK-SPC or Syscooling P60/P67 should definitely fit and you can get more creative where to put it but I didn't research this option much.

Last edited:

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
White option too!! You beauty @Wahaha360 <3

EDIT: Is this supposed to be 240mm on this image: https://ssupd.com/products/meshlicious

Thx, fixed.