Production Meshlicious Redesign - Vertical, 280AIO mainstream case

bruub

Caliper Novice
Nov 30, 2017
There is no both side mesh panel option?
And is riser cable included?
The FAQ has a mention about the "included riser cable" so I would hope that means included with the case.

Marvelm

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 20, 2017
The FAQ has a mention about the "included riser cable" so I would hope that means included with the case.

You're right, that should mean it's included, good catch!

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I get that this is meant to be an affordable case, but a mass-market case with a PCIe 3.0 riser cable in 2021 ... that's going to cause major issues. Zen 2, Zen 3 and Rocket Lake will all default to PCIe 4.0 with 4.0 GPUs (RDNA, RDNA 2, Ampere) meaning that any BIOS reset will require the user to either disassemble the build to install the GPU directly into the slot, or install a temporary 3.0 GPU just to get into the BIOS and set the link speed to 3.0... that's not the kind of troubleshooting you can expect from the average user. I foresee significant RMA issues from this.

Marvelm

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 20, 2017
I get that this is meant to be an affordable case, but a mass-market case with a PCIe 3.0 riser cable in 2021 ... that's going to cause major issues. Zen 2, Zen 3 and Rocket Lake will all default to PCIe 4.0 with 4.0 GPUs (RDNA, RDNA 2, Ampere) meaning that any BIOS reset will require the user to either disassemble the build to install the GPU directly into the slot, or install a temporary 3.0 GPU just to get into the BIOS and set the link speed to 3.0... that's not the kind of troubleshooting you can expect from the average user. I foresee significant RMA issues from this.

Not exactly true, I'm also using a case with a PCI-e 3.0 riser with a 3060Ti and a Zen 2 CPU and it does boot without any issues BEFORE you install the drivers allowing you to easily change to PCIe 3.0 in the bios. The fact it defaults to PCIe 4.0 doesn't mean it won't display anything.

Reactions: DrHudacris

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Not exactly true, I'm also using a case with a PCI-e 3.0 riser with a 3060Ti and a Zen 2 CPU and it does boot without any issues BEFORE you install the drivers allowing you to easily change to PCIe 3.0 in the bios. The fact it defaults to PCIe 4.0 doesn't mean it won't display anything.
... BIOS resets don't only happen before driver installation, do they? I would also say that that is the case where disassembly is the least annoying - if GPU drivers aren't yet installed, the PC is likely to just have been built, after all. A BIOS reset months into regular use of the PC would be another matter entirely. Also, there have been quite a few reports of people here having to disassemble their systems for this specific reason. You might also be lucky enough for your riser to work (even intermittently) at 4.0 speeds, enough to get into the BIOS - but not all risers will do so. YMMV, but just because you've dodged this bullet, don't expect everyone else to do so.

Marvelm

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 20, 2017
... BIOS resets don't only happen before driver installation, do they? I would also say that that is the case where disassembly is the least annoying - if GPU drivers aren't yet installed, the PC is likely to just have been built, after all. A BIOS reset months into regular use of the PC would be another matter entirely. Also, there have been quite a few reports of people here having to disassemble their systems for this specific reason. You might also be lucky enough for your riser to work (even intermittently) at 4.0 speeds, enough to get into the BIOS - but not all risers will do so. YMMV, but just because you've dodged this bullet, don't expect everyone else to do so.

Yeah, you're right, I meant right after assembly mostly. On the other hand, PCIe 4.0 risers are still quite expensive and we can't really expect them to be supplied with a 120$ case.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Yeah, you're right, I meant right after assembly mostly. On the other hand, PCIe 4.0 risers are still quite expensive and we can't really expect them to be supplied with a 120$ case.
Hence why I said
I get that this is meant to be an affordable case, but
as that doesn't actually alleviate the problem. Arguably it does the opposite, as it will likely be among the first mass-market cases using a riser in this situation (PCIe 4.0 GPUs and motherboards/CPUs being prevalent, but risers being expensive and rare). (Of course existing mass-market riser-equipped cases like the NZXT H1 can cause exactly the same issues.) Given the level of technical knowledge required to even identify this issue, let alone work around it, it could potentially cause major issues with high RMA volumes and frustrated users.

Reactions: FrederickM

Marvelm

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 20, 2017
Hence why I said

as that doesn't actually alleviate the problem. Arguably it does the opposite, as it will likely be among the first mass-market cases using a riser in this situation (PCIe 4.0 GPUs and motherboards/CPUs being prevalent, but risers being expensive and rare). (Of course existing mass-market riser-equipped cases like the NZXT H1 can cause exactly the same issues.) Given the level of technical knowledge required to even identify this issue, let alone work around it, it could potentially cause major issues with high RMA volumes and frustrated users.

I mean, I guess? But what do you suggest instead? Not make cases that use risers at times when standards are changing? Seems rather excessive. There are tons of cases using risers and they will all face the same problems, it's just the nature of risers, they add another part which might cause problems and require troubleshooting.

Reactions: FrederickM

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
When issue arises, I do not think an average user will RMA the case (Mesh-Licious or other cases). An average joe would probably suspect a faulty motherboard or graphics card.
Anyway, maybe, this issue should be put in detail in the FAQ. Additionally, maybe, a note be put in the User Manual. Or better, have a separate info sheet supplied with the PCIe 3.0 cable.

PS
How do you pronounce SSUPD? And my actual first thought sounded too much like 'stupid'.

BRSxIgnition

Master of Cramming
Mar 15, 2020
PS
How do you pronounce SSUPD? And my actual first thought sounded too much like 'stupid'.
This is why something like the 'SPD' would probably be a better abbreviation, along with this case just being called the Mesh.

'Hey, I finally got the SPD Mesh 1.' sounds so much better than 'Hey I finally got the sunny side up meshlicious.' (At least to me)

The latter sounds like you should be put in an institution.

Either way, looks really good from OT's video - just not sure how the cable was decided on. It's not HDMI 2.1 from what I can tell, and most monitors would need display port 1.4, so many who get this case will either need to buy a new 90° cable or adapter.

Last edited:

Shinken1

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 3, 2019
Might be difficult finding a 90degree display port adapter that supports DSC for my Samsung G9.
I like the white version

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Love the case. I am concerned about getting an HDMI 2.1 right angle adapter, and a DisplayPort 1.4 right angle adapter. I use both at the same time because I have an ultra wide monitor on my desk, and my PC also hooked up to an LG CX.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
When issue arises, I do not think an average user will RMA the case (Mesh-Licious or other cases). An average joe would probably suspect a faulty motherboard or graphics card.

PS
They pronounce it Sunny Side Up in the video above, though ... where is the D in that? Can't say I get it, nor that I like the branding, but it's not like that matters much. Keeping the meshlicious name, though? I guess it's unique, but it's a poor choice IMO. Hard to say, doesn't sound good ... meh.

As for the average user not RMAing the case for that - not initially at least, I agree there. The issue then becomes them having a never-ending series of issues, never figuring out what is their problem, resulting in tons of frustration. Which will then be directed at the case once/if they actually figure this out. Unless they just sell it and move on, I guess.

The point being: this ins't a huge issue currently, but it is going to be one in 2021. There should at least be an option for a PCIe 4.0 compatible riser.

ZivZulander

Trash Compacter
Jan 12, 2020
Case looks great! Will get one as soon as I can (fantastic that it's mainstream, as I'm not really inclined to jump through hoops, especially with other parts also being so hard to get these days).

Very important question, though: is it "Meshilicious" (Optimum Tech ) or specifically "Meshlicious"/"Mesh-licious"? 🤔

Reactions: Valantar

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Love the case. I am concerned about getting an HDMI 2.1 right angle adapter, and a DisplayPort 1.4 right angle adapter. I use both at the same time because I have an ultra wide monitor on my desk, and my PC also hooked up to an LG CX.
If you look at the Accessory page for ssupd they have both the HDMI 2.1 and DP 1.4 right angle cables.

Reactions: thelaughingman