Production Meshlicious Redesign - Vertical, 280AIO mainstream case

Kit

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 2, 2019
Mesh-Licious chassis, Radeon RX 6800 XT GPU, & either the 280 EK-AIO or the beQuiet! Pure Loop 280 AIO; those are the items I am awaiting...!

I managed to snag a 3070 which runs about 20C cooler than my told trio x 2080ti but I might try and get a 6800 XT... if I do I won't be able to do meshy mc mesh face :/

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
I managed to snag a 3070 which runs about 20C cooler than my told trio x 2080ti but I might try and get a 6800 XT... if I do I won't be able to do meshy mc mesh face :/

Sure you could, just scalp, er, I mean SELL the 3070 & get the 6800 XT...!

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Be interesting to see how Mesh-Licious takes off, once finally available to the public...!

Right now, you go over to r/sffpc & everything (mainstream-wise) is Cooler Master NR200/NR200P (with a strong representation from the NZXT H1 still)...!

Wahaha360

a.k.a W360
Original poster
SFFLAB
NCASE
SSUPD
Feb 23, 2015
2020-11-10: what I can share atm

* rendering makes GPU appear closer to the glass window than it really is, don't panic, well aware of GPU clearances needs for cooling
* design not final - making some changes to the fan bracket because it doesn't look good behind mesh

Wanted to make a mainstream ITX case for several years now.

Highlights:
- $100-120, will be sold on Newegg, Amazon and maybe CaseKing, and likely more distributors
- 14.5L, 1mm SECC material, movable spine like my FormD T1
- Motherboard IO facing the back
- Up to 335mm *vertical GPU support, up tp 4 slots, cable exit through the bottom
- Up to 235mm *horizontal GPU support, up to 4 slots, cable exit through the back
- 240AIO and 280AIO support

Need to wait longer before I can share more info per my NDA.

ihso

What's an ITX?
New User
Apr 24, 2020

* rendering makes GPU appear closer to the glass window than it really is, don't panic, well aware of GPU clearances needs for cooling
* design not final - making some changes to the fan bracket because it doesn't look good behind mesh

Highlights:
- $100-120, will be sold on Newegg, Amazon and maybe CaseKing, and likely more distributors
- Up to 335mm *vertical GPU support, up tp 4 slots, cable exit through the bottom
- Up to 235mm *horizontal GPU support, up to 4 slots, cable exit through the back

Ok this is endgame. Can't wait to slap my 3080 Xtreme into this

Kit

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 2, 2019

Highlights:

That looks so sexy Waha!!! Will there be any channel for SFF Forum to pre-order?

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015

Highlights:

I swear I felt some slight heart palpitations when I saw activity on this thread, and then I saw it was Wahaha360...! ;^p

I wish the render was high rez & there were more renders of the other sides...! Is the other side panel also glass...? (...I kinda assumed the panels were all mesh, like shown on the P1 concept renders...) I noted the four PCIe slots top back of the render, interesting idea, now the industry needs to deliver shorter PCBs & full-cover water blocks for the same... Space below horizontal GPU for pump / reservoir, etc. ...?

Design not final seems disheartening, makes me think actual production is still a ways off...? Was hoping to get this chassis soon for slapping a 6800 XT into...!

@Wahaha360 Let's talk AIOs...! Rad/fan thickness total still at 55mm or less...? You alluded to newer 280 AIOs coming out awhile back. The only two I see are the beQuiet! Pure Loop 280 AIO & the EK-AIO 280... I believe the beQuiet! unit is shipping, but the EK-AIO 280 has yet to be released...? What is your AIO of choice for this chassis...?

And with the 5000-series of Ryzen Zen 3 CPUs & the 6000- series of Radeon RDNA2 "Big Navi" GPUs; we are introduced to SAM (Smart Access Memory)... But SAM requires a 500-series AM4 mobo & that PCIe Gen4 action... With this in mind, what is the state of the PCIe riser cable being used in the production chassis...? Does it support PCIe Gen4, or is the added signal length due to the cable an issue for PCIe Gen4...?

With a four-slot GPU configuration, does that leave ample room on the CPU side for the SO-DIMM.2 riser on the Crosshair VIII Impact mDTX mobo...? If so, might there be a series of fan mounts on the rear of the GPU chamber to allow for a row of (four?) 80x25mm exhaust fans...?

This single post & render give me so much more questions...!!!

Closing Thoughts - The horizontal GPU mounting... Any consideration towards adding a SECOND 4-slot 'shortish' GPU area below the 'stock' one, and an optional PCIe riser set-up, for BIFURCATION...!?! That could be interesting, dual GPUs...?!? Kinda like the Orthrus...?

EDIT TO ADD:

With the alternate GPU mounting (the 'shorty' 235mm max horizontal position), will we be looking at the backplate or will the GPU be mounted 'hanging' from the PCIe slot...? I am looking at the EK block for the Founder's Edition 3080 and it is 205mm long, so I can see those using the FE 3000-series Nvidia GPUs & water cooling might use that horizontal mounting, and the terminals EK provides to go straight out the end of the block would be a boon as well when it comes to plumbing...?

That would leave a goodly space below for a pump, rez, & SSD storage...?

Last edited:

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Wonder how the gpu riser will be routed. If the motherboard IO is facing the back, the riser will need to do some substantial bending like the Velka 7 does (which is pretty frustrating, according to many people)

Alur

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 9, 2019

Highlights:

That looks sick and slick, good job.

bguerre1ro

What's an ITX?
New User
Nov 10, 2020
The case looks awesome and even though I saw your comment about the space between the GPU and the glass, a mesh panel or some combination of both would be far more breathable.

With regards to the front fan brackets/rails, I do agree that these look a bid odd, especially when the fan screws will be visible through the mesh. If I may, the case would look much better if the brackets/rails were behind the fans, leaving the two huge fans fully visible.

The pcie gen 4 riser is a must so hopefully that will be factored in the build.

Either way, I am impressed so will definitely be ordering one once available!

Reactions: Sen

kazuma86

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 12, 2020

Highlights:

Look nice @Wahaha360 and waiting your final render..

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
Looks like an interesting new budget sandwich chassis. I share some of Boil's concerns as well as others related to airflow performance.

Given WinterCharm's extensive CFD for optimizing airflow in sandwich chassis and my experiences playing with different configurations in my Steck and SM580, it would seem like having tempered glass (impermeable side panels) and relying entirely on front-to-back forced convection will lead to both the recirculation of hot air and considerable turbulence. Namely, axial (open air and pass through) style coolers will exhaust hot air along their front face short edge (and towards the spine in pass through cases like the 3080) which will be blown back into the intake; the same will be true of down firing CPU coolers with fins parallel to the front-to-back direction.

For the GPU, a front mounted radiator will only exacerbate GPU thermal buildup by dumping ~50% of the CPU's heat into the GPUs air path as well. Maybe this can be remedied by exhausting from the front, but you would still have the recirculation issue, and a new one created by potentially blowing hot air towards the user.

The ideal cooling scenario in sandwich chassis with axially cooled GPUs seems to be provided by vented side panel intake and equal transverse exhaust (either top/bottom or front/back) in the directions perpendicular to the long axis of the GPU. "Passive component cooling" is a bit of a different animal, but this chassis doesn't appear to be geared towards that either.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing how this performs once the rest of the NDA expires.

morj

Airflow Optimizer
Bronze Supporter
Feb 11, 2020
I noted the four PCIe slots top back of the render, interesting idea, now the industry needs to deliver shorter PCBs & full-cover water blocks for the same...

235mm is plenty for current-gen NVidia GPUs, for example EK just released a 205mm 3080 FE waterblock and Bykski has a 187mm 3080 FE waterblock for a while

even better, with the 187mm waterblock there is 48mm clearance left for the radiator (assuming it goes up to the corner I where think it goes)

Luke NK

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 17, 2019
Wonder how the gpu riser will be routed. If the motherboard IO is facing the back, the riser will need to do some substantial bending like the Velka 7 does (which is pretty frustrating, according to many people)

Judging by case dimensions and CPU cooler + GPU support it seems that there will be enough space for this bend I think

ramuj0

Efficiency Noob
Jun 15, 2020
Case looks great, I don't even mind seeing the mounting rails but agree that screw visibility may be a bit unsightly ?

I hope the case comes with a replaceable front mesh panel. If it's not mesh on all sides its not really 'meshalicious' is it? ?

Just commited to an Ncase M1 but this may yet be my true love. Regardless I'm excited to see what people can squeeze into it.