What are you interested in?

• Total voters

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
To Mods: I'm not sure if this is posted in the right place. Please move per your discretion.

This is theHACK here. You may know me around this forum as that guy who loves 12V builds... Anyways, with the rise of 12V builds have fueled interest in using internal Meanwell PSUs. With that said, not everyone is electronics expert and may need a lil' help. So in turn, I will be creating kits for helping you integrate your Meanwell PSU, and possibly other PSU if they are feasible, with your builds.

I am looking at creating/providing the following:
1. Hookup kits for Meanwell PSU, including wires, plugs, and standoffs, in one package.
2. Acrylic adapter plates for integrating a Meanwell PSU into your SFX/ATX case.
3. Acrylic shrouds for the PSU.
4. Cases

I do have a philosophy of how I want to approach this.
1. Profits will likely be tiny. It will go towards more SFF research and development.
2. Everything will be open source. This means you can choose to take designs and cut it yourself or locally. This includes 2D cut parts and 3D printed parts.

So I am interested in your feedback! Comments, concerns, questions?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Reserved.

EPP200:
-3D Printed Shroud. 3 Sided. ~ 59mm x 110mm x 38mm.

Last edited:

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
This seems like the right place until you actually have something to sell, at which point you'll probably want to make a separate thread in the bazaar.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with here.

Reactions: Phuncz

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
This seems like the right place until you actually have something to sell, at which point you'll probably want to make a separate thread in the bazaar.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with here.

Thanks. This is so I can gauge interest. This is a niche of a niche even :D.

buLL

Average Stuffer
Mar 11, 2017
Thats awesome bro, will be following this thread to see how that works out.

I might be interested, as I'm an electronic noob :)

Kooki

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 30, 2016
I'm totally hyped for builds using meanwell 12v lately, mainly because of your posts, Thehack.

I'd love to see this project going forward! I don't have the tools nor the skill necessary to do anything on my own. :v

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
If you're not selling the Meanwell units as part of a combo it may be okay, but I'd highly recommend forming a limited liability company before selling these kits in case someone accidentally electrocutes themselves in the process of assembling it.

Reactions: Phuncz

Lone

King of Cable Management
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
I like this idea. I remember looking at open frame AC-DC power supplies a few years ago and was immediately turned off because I had no clue how they were supposed to be connected. Your Meanwell howto thread really helped me understand how simple it was to use them with plug-in DC boards. I was planning on making something similar to Meanwell's enclosures, but instead use a 2.5 inch drive mounting pattern/spacing (76.6 mm) so I can mount it in my cases. Not sure if that would work for everyone though.

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
Nice! The SFF community doing their part to help break that barrier to entry in the SFF market. I like it.
It's always welcome to see advancements in this area.

Mar 6, 2017
This is definitely something I'd be interested in! I have a basic idea of how to hook the PSUs up, but a kit would be great just in case I'm headed in the wrong direction. The enclosure @Kmpkt mentioned in a wonderful idea too.

Reactions: cmyk78

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Thanks for the feedback. It seems there is a decent number of builders who are interested in a meanwell build.

I'll be working on prototyping and designing some stuff. First up are the hookup kits.

Reactions: cmyk78

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I am assuming these kits would be doubly compatible with the 24V versions of the EPP series for those who are keen on using 16-24V DC-DC solutions?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I am assuming these kits would be doubly compatible with the 24V versions of the EPP series for those who are keen on using 16-24V DC-DC solutions?
Correct. I'll have to double check their data sheet but I don't think there are physical difference between voltages.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Data sheets are the same across all voltages for the EPP series. Physical layout is the same for all PSUs of a given wattage, only the electrical specs differ by voltage.

I would love to get a wire hookup kit for my HD-Plex but the Pico Box Z4 is also compatible with 24V (it has wide voltage input like the HD-Plex). Stock photos of the Z4 don't do a clear job of showing what DC input cables it has. It's possible that it is just a barrel style connector directly soldered into the wires, which in that case we'd need to trim the wires to make it work with the kit.

For AC plugs you could try using a C8 clover leaf connector in addition to the C14. I like the C8 connection because it's smaller.

Lone

King of Cable Management
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Please don't use the cheapest (stiff) hook up wire that I bought from Digi-Key. ;) That's not to say Digi-Key doesn't have good wire... I just picked the cheapest I could find.

Maybe some silicone jacket hook up wire?

Last edited:

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Please don't use the cheapest (stiff) hook up wire that I bought from Digi-Key. ;)

Maybe some nice silicone jacket hook up wire like G-Unique uses?

I'll be using marine grade wires. Possibly will source some from McMaster-Carr to see if theirs are good.

Mar 6, 2017
Here's a couple images of a mockup of what I imagine a product could look like which combines a shroud, case, and hookup kit. This is a case with 0.5mm metal plating on all sides of the PSU to reduce ESD, two 40x15mm fans, a C6 inlet, two PCIe 8pin outputs, a power switch, and a power LED. I just made a bunch of 3mm acrylic panels, but I imagine something thinner should work too. Those things that look like dust filters are dust filters, because I like dust filters. I don't know if they are necessary for a PSU though. I know the fans look like they're in a weird spot, but that's what the spec sheet says to do :/

Anyways, that's just my two cents. I can't wait to see your project take off, I think it'll do really well!

Reactions: Phuncz and Thehack

Coach_Rico

Average Stuffer
Mar 16, 2017
I just received my S4 mini but haven't bought any other parts yet. I am definitely interested in 12V meanwell options rather than using a cheap brick. i also ordered one of the G-Unique direct plug. @Thehack your threads are awesome by the way!