Making an MATX case out of wood (Help needed)

Itanium

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 1, 2017
Hey everyone I needed a small and portable MATX gaming case but can't find anything suitable for me (Except for the Kimera Cerberus case which isn't in production yet) so I decided to make one myself. I am a bit poor right now and have some wood lying around in the shed so I will be using that. This is my first design, Please excuse me for my bad sketchup skills this is my first time using a 3d drawing program. There is no currently scale and is not drawn to scale but its just an idea that i will be working on. I haven't designed a side panel cuz I'm not sure how i will mount it and make it removable. I don't really want a see through side panel because there is basically nothing to see inside this case :p I need some help from you guys and some suggestions to make this case actually work.

Thanks guys, meanwhile I will be making a scaled version of this design.

Ethan

Last edited:

Master of Cramming
Nov 5, 2016
I guess you really have to think, plan and build at the same time. Since you are making everything by hand, sometimes a precise plan just won't work out.

Itanium

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 1, 2017
I'm remaking the model to scale now and I'm downloading all these premade models to make life easier.

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
One important consideration with wood is that it acts as an insulator as far as heat goes. You will need to think a lot about how to manage the heat (exhaust it, air intake, etc). Looking forward to watching you work on this!

Reactions: ricochet

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I have one of those circular saws that u press down on so those will get me straight lines

If you want a proper fit you will need to have a table saw or a hand planer. I built a wood case before using a hand planer. It worked decently well but when you are joining the corners any defect is magnified in the results. If you are okay with slight gaps, of which can be filled by saw dust, then you can use a regular saw.

Reactions: ricochet

Itanium

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 1, 2017
Just an update guys made the to scale version of the case. Im kinda busy recently but ill start to make it soon when i have time.

Reactions: Phuncz and NRG

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
How much space is there between the PSU and the back of the video card?

devinkato

Average Stuffer
Oct 17, 2016
Curious how you're going to deal with the motherboard IO cutout. Never found an easy way to get a precise cut in wood in a rectangular shape without a router with a guide bearing and a perfect template.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Curious how you're going to deal with the motherboard IO cutout. Never found an easy way to get a precise cut in wood in a rectangular shape without a router with a guide bearing and a perfect template.

That's the best way for sure, but I have had some luck with a jigsaw and some sanding. What I do is use a hole drill or step down for metal for the radius of my inside curves, and then use the jigsaw to cut the straight lines. I've done this a few times now and am getting better at it since someone borrowed my router table and I never saw it again....

Reactions: owliwar

Itanium

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 1, 2017
I have one of those dremels with a disc blade thingy on the front, not sure if it will work though.

Reactions: owliwar