Completed Lone Industries L5 - 4.6L Mini ITX

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
The arrival of the rumoured 4700g is gonna change a few things. Now it's possible to do a powerful 16 thread no gpu build and that too with only upto a 150w power supply. Apu cases are going to get more popular at the expense of cases such as L5 which cater to lp gpu + strong cpu audience. I hope you take this into consideration for future designs.

Debatable. A lot of APU cases are designed around using external bricks, whereas with no lp GPU you can mount a variety of PSU inside the L5, and still get cooler clearance to run the L12S. Lots of APU cases force you onto small coolers.

Reactions: Lone

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
All good! Yeah tbh I didn't have high hopes for them as they seemed like pretty generic fans, and yeah I'd heard very mixed reviews about the NBs... But until Noctua wants to bring out a slim 80mm option, it's gonna have to be a bit of trial and error for all of us :p Attached are some photos of the various iterations my L5 has gone through, with a little description for each photo.

You can see below, how a G-Unique Internal can fit with a 15mm thick fan, in both positions. to plug in your ATX 24-pin connector, you'll need it to not bulge out past the mobo though. Maybe consider shaving off the rention clip on your 24-Pin ATX connector?

In the bottom fan position, the G-Unique and 15mm fan combo takes up the space needed for the end of the Asus 1650LP - if you want this type of combo to work, you'll need to find a LP GPU that isn't longer than 170mm; sacrifice the 15mm fan (see below); or move the PSU into the top fan slot (see above)

With the bottom 15mm width fan removed, the G-Unique can accomodate an Asus 1650LP and a 7mm thick SSD

Or you can run a 1650LP, 2x 15mm thick fans, and an external brick, with some breathing room to spare!

Cheers!

Yeah that retention clip on 24 pin connectors is useless, it just makes it even harder to plug the connector in. That thing isn't going anywhere even without the clip.

The setup with the G-Unique in place of a case fan is absolute perfection IMO. Don't get my wrong, I'm very happy with the Meanwell 200w in my J-Hack case, but that G-Unique form factor is just sooooo nice. I wouldn't worry about it overheating even without the direct airflow as my Meanwell seems to do just fine with zero case fans.

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
I have six more G-Unique Arch Daemon on order. This next batch will include a removable SATA cable. I'll ship these separately if needed. 3-4 weeks away.

• Wow
Reactions: August

SEGFAULT

Efficiency Noob
May 9, 2020
I had a terrible idea for a mod today: put a 3" speaker in one of the fan slots, wire it to a small amp board running off the 12V rail and the headphone connector that the L5 has no use for.

• Love
Reactions: Lone and August

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
I had a terrible idea for a mod today: put a 3" speaker in one of the fan slots, wire it to a small amp board running off the 12V rail and the headphone connector that the L5 has no use for.

That's so awesome! I have always wanted an internal speaker. Maybe that would be a good little add-on... a custom speaker housing that fits in a fan slot. ?

soliddddd

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Feb 22, 2020
I ordered an arch daemon with Lone's specs. Very excited to redo my cable management, the cables that the HDPLEX 200w come with are quite long.
I also hear noticeable electrical noise from the HDPLEX when my PC is on, which is unfortunate as the noctua fans run extremely quietly (which is why I caved and decided to get the arch daemon).

I have a couple of unrelated questions:

1) Anybody willing to share close-up pics of their cable management?
2) My estimated power usage is 209 watts. I hardly ever play games but I would still like the option. Should I be worried about playing old-ish stuff like XCOM/XCOM 2, since the ATS200T-P120 is only rated for 192W? Am I unlikely to reach max out power usage if I don't play modern AAA games?
3) @Lone I'm guessing this would be costly but have you considered producing an L5 with a power connector slot that could support g-unique custom bricks? I almost bought one as I wanted a 300w brick to be safe, but thankfully I realized that it wouldn't fit before I placed the order.

----

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9a-AM4 chromax.black 33.8 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B450-I Gaming Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 550 - 512 4 GB PULSE Low Profile Video Card
Custom: Noctua NF-A8 PWM chromax.Black.swap, Premium Quiet Fan, 4-Pin (80mm, Black)
Custom: Noctua NF-A8 PWM chromax.Black.swap, Premium Quiet Fan, 4-Pin (80mm, Black)

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I ordered an arch daemon with Lone's specs. Very excited to redo my cable management, the cables that the HDPLEX 200w come with are quite long.
I also hear noticeable electrical noise from the HDPLEX when my PC is on, which is unfortunate as the noctua fans run extremely quietly (which is why I caved and decided to get the arch daemon).

I have a couple of unrelated questions:

1) Anybody willing to share close-up pics of their cable management?
2) My estimated power usage is 209 watts. I hardly ever play games but I would still like the option. Should I be worried about playing old-ish stuff like XCOM/XCOM 2, since the ATS200T-P120 is only rated for 192W? Am I unlikely to reach max out power usage if I don't play modern AAA games?
3) @Lone I'm guessing this would be costly but have you considered producing an L5 with a power connector slot that could support g-unique custom bricks? I almost bought one as I wanted a 300w brick to be safe, but thankfully I realized that it wouldn't fit before I placed the order.

----

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9a-AM4 chromax.black 33.8 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B450-I Gaming Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 550 - 512 4 GB PULSE Low Profile Video Card

I think it is fine. You can easily just power limit it and not lose much performance.

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
@soliddddd with the Arch Daemon there is virtually no cable management. It’s more like freedom from cable management. All you’ll need to worry about is your fan wires. :)

Have a look at some of the 3700X reviews for real power consumption results. I agree with J-Hack, it should be fine.

In regards to supporting other connectors, there may be a way to support other connectors using an adapter or PCB mount that G-Unique could provide. I’ll have to check with him on that.

Last edited:

robinpfeiffer

Chassis Packer
Dec 1, 2018
rbn.dev
I finally got around to downsizing my brother’s PC into the L5. He doesn’t game that much any more and the games that he plays are some older titles. So an APU was enough power for that purpose.

Because there is now some unused space where the LP GPU normally would sit, I decided to mod in a HDPLEX 200W AC-DC converter. And also because I really don’t like using a power brick when this is not strictly necessary.

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
I finally got around to downsizing my brother’s PC into the L5. He doesn’t game that much any more and the games that he plays are some older titles. So an APU was enough power for that purpose.

Because there is now some unused space where the LP GPU normally would sit, I decided to mod in a HDPLEX 200W AC-DC converter. And also because I really don’t like using a power brick when this is not strictly necessary.

Nice work! This is the first time I've seen someone do this. It looks great, including the keyboard. Thank you for posting.

Last edited:
Reactions: robinpfeiffer

SEGFAULT

Efficiency Noob
May 9, 2020

Ooh what keyboard is that, I totally want a white with black keys keyboard to match my L5 now!

Reactions: robinpfeiffer

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
I was looking at how robinpfeiffer mounted the HDPLEX 200W AC-DC, and it looks like a simple DIY flat bracket could be made to mount the HDPLEX AC-DC to the two mounting holes at the bottom flange. With a single bend the bracket could also tie into some of the 2.5 inch drive mounting holes.

Also, if you don't mind doing some wiring, the GX12 is one alternative to using a C14 connector that doesn't require modding the case. Another option is a pigtail C14.

Reactions: chn

August

SFF Lingo Aficionado
SFFn Staff
Silver Supporter
Jun 19, 2019
gusmiller.com
I was looking at how robinpfeiffer mounted the HDPLEX 200W AC-DC, and it looks like a simple DIY flat bracket could be made to mount the HDPLEX AC-DC to the two mounting holes at the bottom flange. With a single bend the bracket could also tie into some of the 2.5 inch drive mounting holes.

Also, if you don't mind doing some wiring, the GX12 is one alternative to using a C14 connector that doesn't require modding the case. Another option is a pigtail C14.

Love the idea of an L/U-shaped bracket here, to adapt for 2–3 2.5" drives.

Possible that a similar adapter plate could be installed into the expansion slots, like this? (Something similar may already exist?)

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Love the idea of an L/U-shaped bracket here, to adapt for 2–3 2.5" drives.

Possible that a similar adapter plate could be installed into the expansion slots, like this? (Something similar may already exist?)

Not sure I understand correctly. There's already mounting points on the case for 2-3 2.5 inch drives in place of a GPU. Please clarify for me. :)

staircase

Trash Compacter
Jan 26, 2018

thought I would mod my case to use C14. ended up using GX12, I am not good at soldering (onto the GX12), and everytime i move the cable a little, it short circuit. Ended up buying some pre-wired on eBay (Ship from hong kong) . Ordered 2, cut a short one for home use, and 6' long for lan party use. but now I have to use a very big wall plug because no one makes a smaller one. Gave it a few tight pull and wiggling around, the cable/connection didn't short itself, so it's good enough.

August

SFF Lingo Aficionado
SFFn Staff
Silver Supporter
Jun 19, 2019
gusmiller.com
Not sure I understand correctly. There's already mounting points on the case for 2-3 2.5 inch drives in place of a GPU. Please clarify for me. :)

There sure are! I'm just dim! ?

(I think I'd posted too eagerly, thinking you'd said something to the effect that an HDPlex bracket could also support some 2.5" drives, not that it could attach to the existing 2.5" mounting holes.)

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
I know it's not "sexy" but 3M double sided tape is more than enough to hold the HDPlex (or in my case, Meanwell) in place. Holds up to heat fine, is easy to remove if need be, more than strong enough for anything you throw at the case ;)

Reactions: ChinStrap and Lone

Kopavi

Cable Smoosher
May 22, 2020
It's definitely something that I've thought about, and will continue to keep an eye on.

I agree with this.

The L series will probably have expansion slots as long as Mini-ITX motherboards have a PCIe slot. My thoughts on an APU version of the L5 are that you could either go smaller, stay the same, or go larger:

Smaller
  • Less cooling capacity (less CPU clearance, no space for case fans)
  • It would be smaller
Same size
  • Space for 2.5 inch drives
  • Space for M.2 to PCIe adapters
  • Can still utilize expansion slot for other add-on cards
  • Maybe someday there will be an internal power supply that will fit in that space
Larger
  • Add support for internal PSU like FlexATX (noisy, wires, no thanks), or HDPLEX AC-DC
  • Maybe add that third expansion slot
Carry over the aesthetics of the LI 5 into a LI m (mini) case built for a 550 or 570 ITX MOB (specifically the AMD 4700G APU) would be a nice addition to the Lone Industries product line. Built with dimensions similar to those of the scant Asrock Deskmini A300 155 x 155 x 80 mm (1.92L) coupled with the built in 150 watt power supply and stainless steel of the Inwin Chopin while removing the space for a GPU would be an attractive tiny solution to SFF community.

Power supplies are one of the more daunting build elements for most first time builders and using a power brick is not a optimum solution to anyone attempting to keep a clean minimalist look. You could consider drilling holes in the mini case to accommodate a VESA monitor mounting solution. Incorporating your current venting/fans on the top/bottom and on the sides with the same vertical or horizontal orientation offered on the LI 5.

With the Gen 3 Ryzen apus arriving as early as the end of June, early adopters will be searching for cases as that date approaches.