Completed Lone Industries L5 - 4.6L Mini ITX

chn

Cable Smoosher
Nov 13, 2017
I have a couple questions for anyone who has purchased or would like to purchase the L5:

1. Why did you choose the L5?

2. If there were a larger version of the L5 (sandwich style, 17-19mm wider) that only added support for a standard height graphics card, what would you choose?

1. I just like the look of the case - understated and clean. The build quality is also very good, and I thought the price was also very reasonable. I also want to mention your engagement with us on this thread - I think that also makes a difference - the fact that you are open to feedback on the design, but as well as suggestions with how to fit things inside the case.

2. For me personally, I was looking for something to build a compact server in, so a graphics card was never really a prioirty for me. I would still probably go with the original case, which is what I have.

Reactions: Lone

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018

Finally got a dedicated games drive. It's a Cruical MX500 M.2 1TB. Also got a Segate Exos 4TB serve as an external backup for my work related stuff.

Now begins the wait for the U.2.

bOcy

Chassis Packer
Mar 24, 2018
I have a couple questions for anyone who has purchased or would like to purchase the L5:

1. Why did you choose the L5?

2. If there were a larger version of the L5 (sandwich style, 17-19mm wider) that only added support for a standard height graphics card, what would you choose?

1. Bought l5 because of l4. I havent built my L5, but i'm thinking ryzen G and GE or intel T cpus, passive cooled for GE/T with that alpine 12 passive heatsink. (also get a gunic internal psu)

2. Would support if there's space somewhere to put in g-uniq internal psu. Seeing itx gpu are 37-41mm in thickness, the lone sandwich can still pack in the cryorig c7, alpenfon black ridge etc cpu coolers. After all that, more given thought of using the remaining spaces for storage or whatever.

Reactions: Lone

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
Just an update on the build. Had a hell of a day yesterday, motherboard malfunctioned (USB causing shutdowns, onboard WIFI became non-existant), wacom malfunctioned, nearly looked like I was going to need replacements. Fortunately after Lone suggested to unplug things, the computer went back to normal. Also managed to fix the Wacom after plugging it into a seperate laptop and letting it reset.

So after that panic inducing what now? I'm going to simplfy the build after this, I think I was trying to many things like the M.2 adapter, the U.2 idea, the USB header drive, I think it caused the PC to go crazy. The HDPlex is amazing, but I think I was at the limits of what the 200W unit can do.

So here is what I'm planning on doing. Reduce the number of drives down to three. A boot/games drive, a drive for my graphic design/typography work and my external backup drive (A 4TB Seagate EXOS in a Startech 3.5 enclosure if wondering). Possibly going to drop both the ADATA 1TB drive and the Crucia 1TB l drive for two Sabrent Rocket drives, a 2TB for the boot and games, and a 4TB for business. I'll keep the old drives for a HTPC build sometime. Plus a lack of a need for SATA power should help with keeping the power levels reasonable.

Next, I might change the motherboard over to a B550 model when they come out. I don't need PCIE-4 and it should hopefully need less power then the X570 board I am using. Plus it means I don't have to deal with the motherboard fans and have access to better CPU coolers (I can join the L12S or Blackridge club, maybe?).

Anyway, now I have some old PC's to tear apart, it should be cathartic.

Reactions: Jello

vanbeveren

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 21, 2019
Same here. I have an ITX GPU I've modified with a noctua fan and I've tried to go to a LP gpu and can't stand the fan noise. A full height L5 would be an instant buy from me.

I wanted to echo this also..

I loved what I saw from my brief time with my Lone (before a quick return - never built in it), but the LP GPU options are just total dealbreakers for me (sadly).

I'd be right back in the mix if ITX gpu's could be used, as it enormously increases the potential usages and capabilities.

I'm all in on NVMe and Mini-ITX Mobo's - but GPU options and what I can do with a PC is still very much tied to GPU performance and LP and/or iGPU's simply don't cut it for a wide swath of my interests.

August

SFF Lingo Aficionado
SFFn Staff
Silver Supporter
Jun 19, 2019
gusmiller.com
My wife and I spent all week organizing my LEGO collection, so I've finally be able to do free builds without spending 99% of the time digging…

Figured I'd share this little model I made of a white L5!

The back isn't complete (didn't have enough plates), but a fun proof-of-concept, nonetheless.

A415Hz

Trash Compacter
Feb 1, 2017
I wanted to echo this also..

I loved what I saw from my brief time with my Lone (before a quick return - never built in it), but the LP GPU options are just total dealbreakers for me (sadly).

I'd be right back in the mix if ITX gpu's could be used, as it enormously increases the potential usages and capabilities.

I'm all in on NVMe and Mini-ITX Mobo's - but GPU options and what I can do with a PC is still very much tied to GPU performance and LP and/or iGPU's simply don't cut it for a wide swath of my interests.

Would replacing the GPU fan with other 15mm thickness fan do? There is 80mm x 80mm x 15mm fan from noise blocker.
The fan can be connected to motherboard as a case fan. Noise could be suppressed a lot. And it should not reach very high temperature either with near silent fan curve profile.

drgoku

Efficiency Noob
May 3, 2020
I created an account just for this case. I am hoping to snatch one when the May orders open.

Had a question on power requirements, I am planning a 3600/4600 or 3700x/4700x and gt1030 with a B550 motherboard. Would the picopsu 160 xt be enough for this? The 12v rail on the spec sheet seems to deliver only max 8A (96W) while the ppt of the 3600 and 3700x is 88w and the Gt1030 require 30w. At the same time I saw a Chinese knockoff brand RGEEK that does 12A average on the 12w rail which would be perfect for my needs. Which one should I get?

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
If I may give you an unsolicited inspiration, I would love for you to build the case I dreamed of: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...ruly-sff-itx-case-for-3950x.11847/post-174951
That design above would be a great addition under your brand. It's about double the volume of L5; more hardware supported at the expense of volume, so there wouldn't be any cannibalization between the two.

@Lone, sorry to derail the thread for a moment, but I also chose a different case for better gpu options. I love the looks of your case; it just didn't fit my needs.

@theGryphon, I just finished a build in December, but I'm already on the hunt for the next one. I'm of a similar opinion on case design and have found 3 options.

https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...2l-new-solution-for-hardware-show-case.10067/
This version seems to be no longer in production.

https://m.intl.taobao.com/detail/detail.html?id=613870007010
This is the new Super Reaper mini MKVI, as far as I can tell. For the price, it's very tempting just to buy and set aside for the future. It doesn't appear Warhead makes a
larger version anymore.

https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...focus-on-liquid-cooling-and-aesthetics.12117/
A case in the works that will be amazing once completed. Knarr looks like it will include everything you could want, but it will be worth a lot more as a result.

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
I created an account just for this case. I am hoping to snatch one when the May orders open.

Had a question on power requirements, I am planning a 3600/4600 or 3700x/4700x and gt1030 with a B550 motherboard. Would the picopsu 160 xt be enough for this? The 12v rail on the spec sheet seems to deliver only max 8A (96W) while the ppt of the 3600 and 3700x is 88w and the Gt1030 require 30w. At the same time I saw a Chinese knockoff brand RGEEK that does 12A average on the 12w rail which would be perfect for my needs. Which one should I get?

I would recommend contacting Mini-box.com tech support for confirmation. I recall reading that the 12V rail is a pass-through from the AC adapter. IMO, the best option for the L5 is the G-Unique Arch Daemon DC-ATX. I will have a couple available for purchase sometime this month.

edwinbradford

Caliper Novice
Apr 22, 2020

I just posted a related question in case it helps, I'm planning builds with almost the same specs in a couple of Streacom cases which are a little easier for me to obtain in the UK.

drgoku

Efficiency Noob
May 3, 2020
I would recommend contacting Mini-box.com tech support for confirmation. I recall reading that the 12V rail is a pass-through from the AC adapter. IMO, the best option for the L5 is the G-Unique Arch Daemon DC-ATX. I will have a couple available for purchase sometime this month.

Thanks. I will check out arch daemon. I also noticed the hdplex 200w 12v rail also supports 180w. So that's a good option if I can ship it.

I just posted a related question in case it helps, I'm planning builds with almost the same specs in a couple of Streacom cases which are a little easier for me to obtain in the UK.

Thanks I read through it.

Is it recommended that if I am pulling upto 180w, I should be using a 4 pin adapter rather than a normal 5mm dc barrel pin adapter? I find it easier to find the normal dc pin adapters.

edwinbradford

Caliper Novice
Apr 22, 2020
Thanks. I will check out arch daemon. I also noticed the hdplex 200w 12v rail also supports 180w. So that's a good option if I can ship it.

Thanks I read through it.

Is it recommended that if I am pulling upto 180w, I should be using a 4 pin adapter rather than a normal 5mm dc barrel pin adapter? I find it easier to find the normal dc pin adapters.

There's a thread on the G-Unique adapters, you should be able to find it easily and there's a YouTube video by Tek Everything who I think is active on this forum. I believe they're the most expensive option but custom made and highly regarded so it depends on your budget. @Lone mentioned he has a couple coming up for sale so in your case that would be a possible option as they will be specifically made to fit the L5 so perfect cable management.

Whichever adapter you use will be determined by what your case supports, my case doesn't natively support four pin. If you opt for the HDPLEX 200W there's a very helpful section on the Lone 5 site where he lists compatible AC-DC controllers which are 19.5v, within the permissible range for the HDPLEX. Please bear in mind I'm learning this myself so Im no expert.

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com

Each type of DC power jack supports a different amount of current. As a result, AC adapter manufacturers ship their AC adapters with different jacks depending on the bricks power output.

12V AC adapters
  • <= 140W = 5.5mm barrel jack
  • 150W to 200W = 4pin Power DIN
  • > 200W = Molex connector
19.5V AC adapters
  • <= 240W (?) = 7.4mm barrel jack
There are probably exceptions to the above. G-Unique for example has a current enhanced 5.5/2.5mm DC jack with 14AWG wire that can support 18A continuous (216W at 12V).

I received two G-Unique Arch Daemon DC-ATX yesterday (will post photos soon). I'm only able to bring these in because of a good friend who receives regular shipments from China.

Reactions: drgoku and jaro

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
My wife and I spent all week organizing my LEGO collection, so I've finally be able to do free builds without spending 99% of the time digging…

Figured I'd share this little model I made of a white L5!

The back isn't complete (didn't have enough plates), but a fun proof-of-concept, nonetheless.

Thanks for sharing! I never once thought I'd see any of my cases done in LEGO. :)

edwinbradford

Caliper Novice
Apr 22, 2020
Each type of DC power jack supports a different amount of current. As a result, AC adapter manufacturers ship their AC adapters with different jacks depending on the bricks power output.

12V AC adapters
19.5V AC adapters
There are probably exceptions to the above. G-Unique for example has a current enhanced 5.5/2.5mm DC jack with 14AWG wire that can support 18A continuous (216W at 12V).

I received two G-Unique Arch Daemon DC-ATX yesterday (will post photos soon). I'm only able to bring these in because of a good friend who receives regular shipments from China.
Everything I couldn't understand explained clearly... feels like it should be a sticky somewhere.

drgoku

Efficiency Noob
May 3, 2020

12V AC adapters
19.5V AC adapters

Thanks. I understand now. I think based on evidence, hdplex seems to be a good option for 3600 and above cpus, with a solid 12v rail. I am also able to find a lot of 19.5v 180w laptop bricks locally with the 7.5mm barrel connector. Unless the G-Unique dc atx could come out cheaper I wud go with hdplex.