Completed Lone Industries L5 - 4.6L Mini ITX

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
@Windfall - HDPLEX 200W. The adapter is cool, but pricey. I wanted to gain access to 22110 M.2's due to their higher storage capabilities, but to be honest I might just wait out until a 4tb 2280 M.2 gets reasonable again. The Sabrent Rocket 4TB was around £400 last black Friday, now it is about £800. I can wait.
Let's hope SSD prices drop...

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
Well I'm at my wits end for this. I found this adapter, the Delock 63342 which would have been perfect, but the cable is a metre long and it is about €100. So close. https://www.delock.com/produkte/G_63342/dokumente.html

@Lone, if you ever make an L6, could you please add a 3rd PCIE slot? I would imagine us tinkerer's would have a field day with it.

That said, this hasn't been a waste. If I end up with a 2280, I might still get a riser cable and move the drive up to that space around the GPU for better airflow and so I can add a heatsink to it.

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Well I'm at my wits end for this. I found this adapter, the Delock 63342 which would have been perfect, but the cable is a metre long and it is about €100. So close. https://www.delock.com/produkte/G_63342/dokumente.html

@Lone, if you ever make an L6, could you please add a 3rd PCIE slot? I would imagine us tinkerer's would have a field day with it.

That said, this hasn't been a waste. If I end up with a 2280, I might still get a riser cable and move the drive up to that space around the GPU for better airflow and so I can add a heatsink to it.

3rd PCIe slot might be interesting.

If you could get rid of your 2.5" SSD, then you open up another spot for an 22110 M.2 (3D print an extended 2.5" enclosure?). Have you considered an external NAS? If 22110 M.2 becomes popular, maybe motherboards will add better support? Just some thoughts/ideas. I would keep it simple, and stick with what works.

Reactions: Analogue Blacksheep

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Another alternate front style (just messing around):

Boxofawesome

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jan 18, 2020
Got mine in the post today, Product is of superb fit and finish and was well packaged for the trip overseas.
White and Black was definitely the right choice for me! One happy customer.

Thank you from Scotland, UK

Reactions: Lone

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
would that block his ssd? I haven't get my hands on the NH-L12S yet.

It shouldn't, but it probably depends on the socket location.

Got mine in the post today, Product is of superb fit and finish and was well packaged for the trip overseas.
White and Black was definitely the right choice for me! One happy customer.

Thank you from Scotland, UK

You're welcome! I'm really glad your happy with it. :)

fleetfeather

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 20, 2017
Did you consider rotating the cooler 90 deg so the heat pipes are at the top/right? I only suggest this because it lines up with the CPU vent better.

That's the only orientation that works, due to the various daughterboards on the asus Impact mobos :) oh, it's an L12 non-S, too

the1q

Trash Compacter
Jun 3, 2019
More messing around due to COVID-19 pandemic. Reduced screws, but more complexity:

I think the case as it is is perfect. I like the screws and the vent pattern makes the case. I like that you can't really tell if its on or off and that's besides the point, it's like vintage audio equipment that look good on and off.

If I were to add anything it would be that 3rd PCI slot for expansion and modding flexibility.

Reactions: Analogue Blacksheep

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
I got a new thing. I believe I've solved the m.2 under GPU question.
Delock 63917
Delock 84945

I've got more stuff along the way, such as this OCuLink to U.2 cable, this USB 3.0 adapter and more. I'm thinking about getting a U.2 drive (Micron 7300 MAX if curious) to store my projects and using the 19 Pin header to create a micro-sd card based internal drive.

Last edited:
Reactions: smitty2k1 and Lone

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
I got a new thing. I believe I've solved the m.2 under GPU question.

I've got more stuff along the way, such as this OCuLink to U.2 cable, this USB 3.0 adapter and more. I'm thinking about getting a U.2 drive (Micron 7300 MAX if curious) to store my projects and using the 19 Pin header to create a micro-sd card based internal drive.
That looks great, I hadn't seen one of those before and IMO SATA SSDs are fast enough, I'm not sure most practical workloads (including gaming) have any benefit from NVMe.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
That looks great, I hadn't seen one of those before and IMO SATA SSDs are fast enough, I'm not sure most practical workloads (including gaming) have any benefit from NVMe.

This video is a good indication, the HDD gets blasted but the difference between SSD and M.2 NVME isn't enough to really matter.

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
The Delock 63917 is SATA based if anyone is wondering. I'm thinking about using it as either a games drive or as an asset folder.

The reason why I'm mulling U.2 is due to the absurd levels of endurance some of them have. Plus I've noticed some of them seem to be similar prices to their SATA counterparts. I'm planning on having client work on it so I want something that is bulletproof. Plus I imagine due to it having more surface mass than M.2, the thermals will be better.

Anyway seeing as I've had the case for few months now, here's some quick notes I've got:
1. I'm repeating that a 3rd PCIE slot would be great for the tinkerers out there, plus DTX support.
2. I would like to see some quality of life tweeks for HDPLEX 200W users. I'm lucky that my motherboard allows me to have the heatsink with 25mm fans, but I've noticed other people have had problems.
3. 9.5mm/15mm SSD support on the side where the single 2.5 drive is mounted, the one near the power button. I know this is niche/minor issue, and I've settled on going with a 7mm U.2 on the side, but I've seen a few cheapish U.2 15mm drives on eBay that can't go with. I also don't want to give up my 2 slot GPU.
4. I wish the fan bracket was easier to work with. See my earlier posts if you are wondering.
5. Besides these issues, the case is perfect. It handles work and games like a champ. It's great for people like me who like tinkering with computer parts, but also want something to throw in a bag and take it places.