Completed Lone Industries L5 - 4.6L Mini ITX

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
@Lone - Nope, it is neither the Big Shuriken 2 or 3 rather the newer/smaller Shuriken 2 (SCSK-2000). I imported it to Scotland via Amazon Japan.

It's the largest cooler that will work with both the ASUS x570i and the HDPLEX 200W together. The bigger Shuriken model would interfere with the HDPLEX.

Reactions: fabio

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
@Lone - Nope, it is neither the Big Shuriken 2 or 3 rather the newer/smaller Shuriken 2 (SCSK-2000). I imported it to Scotland via Amazon Japan.

It's the largest cooler that will work with both the ASUS x570i and the HDPLEX 200W together. The bigger Shuriken model would interfere with the HDPLEX.

It all makes sense now! I tried searching for Shuriken 2 before posting, but all that came up was the Big Shuriken 2 and 3. It basically doesn't exist in North America, even on Scythe's own websites. Hopefully it becomes more readily available.

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
It all makes sense now! I tried searching for Shuriken 2 before posting, but all that came up was the Big Shuriken 2 and 3. It basically doesn't exist in North America, even on Scythe's own websites. Hopefully it becomes more readily available.

Hopefully, the way you mount it onto AM4 boards is pretty neat. I have an NF-A9x14 HS currently on it and it's quiet. Plus no turbulence noise!

If you are interested in getting on for yourself, it is not that hard, way easier than my experience then that time I got the ZS-A4DC on Taobao via Superbuy! I don't know how it would work in Canada, but you can set Amazon Japan to be in English and you pay customs at the check out. DHL handled the delivery.

Reactions: Lone

soliddddd

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Feb 22, 2020
Has anyone tried Black Ridge + an NF-A12x25? It's exactly 72mm and got the best results in Optimum Tech's video:

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Has anyone tried Black Ridge + an NF-A12x25? It's exactly 72mm and got the best results in Optimum Tech's video:

I'd love to try it, but not with a 25mm fan on top.

72mm would likely touch the inside of the cover; maybe even press against it.

As you may already know, you'll want to keep the fan at least 5mm away from the cover (ideally more given the larger 120mm fan).

For me, I'd be happy to just match the performance of the NH-L12S.

Reactions: Soul_Est

soliddddd

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Feb 22, 2020
As you may already know, you'll want to keep the fan at least 5mm away from the cover (ideally more given the larger 120mm fan).

Oh, I wasn't aware that would be a problem- why is that? I figured it would be fine since case fans are also pressed up against covers.
I'll be using the Black Ridge in a build (with an A12x15 then) in a couple of weeks, I'll let you all know how it goes.

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Oh, I wasn't aware that would be a problem- why is that? I figured it would be fine since case fans are also pressed up against covers.
I'll be using the Black Ridge in a build (with an A12x15 then) in a couple of weeks, I'll let you all know how it goes.

The short answer is increased noise.

More restrictive fan vents also result in more noise than less restrictive vents. Also, the intake side of a computer fan has less clearance then the exhaust side. The blade/hub may even rub when mounted against a flat surface on the intake side. The exhaust side of the fan has added clearance built into the fan, and may be mounted/placed against a flat surface. The removable front fan mount in the L5 positions the case fans about .25in away from the front vent.

Reactions: Soul_Est and A415Hz

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
@Lone - This might give you ideas...

Anyway could someone please recommend a better 2280 to 22110 M.2 riser adapter thing. The one I've got has been abused and feels a little cheap.

Last edited:

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
@Windfall - Cheers for looking, but I noticed the latter one is sata based.

Needle in a haystack time again...

Oh, didn't see that.

Tinkered around a little more.

The OCuLink adapter I'm talking about is this one. https://www.microsatacables.com/oculink-sff-8612-to-m.2-m.3-ssd-adapter-ocu-1476-m3

I mean this could work, but I'm worried about how tight everything would be.

Having to wire up separate power would be very annoying, imo. Are you using an HDPlex 160 DC-DC?
Still, that adapter is cool. Thanks for posting it!

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
@Windfall - HDPLEX 200W. The adapter is cool, but pricey. I wanted to gain access to 22110 M.2's due to their higher storage capabilities, but to be honest I might just wait out until a 4tb 2280 M.2 gets reasonable again. The Sabrent Rocket 4TB was around £400 last black Friday, now it is about £800. I can wait.