Completed Lone Industries L5 - 4.6L Mini ITX

Mackan

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 2, 2016
How good is a G-Unique Arch Daemon or HDPlex 200W compared to more conventional SFX PSU:s in terms of electrical properties? Over power protection, ripple, and other values? Does this depend on the power brick as well?

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
@Mackan - If you look at my build from previous pages, I am using a HDPLEX 200W + Dell R5MR2 330W combo. It's handling things like a champ. I am no electrician so I can't comment on the technical stuff

Currently I am using:
Case fans: 2x Noiseblocker NB-BlackSilentPro PC-P 80x15mm PWM
Motherboard: ASUS X570-I ROG Strix
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
M.2 NVME SSD: ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB*
CPU Cooler: Noctua L9a + NF-A9 PWM Chromax
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB 2666MHz
GPU: ASUS GTX 1650 Low Profile OC

No problems yet.

staircase

Trash Compacter
Jan 26, 2018
Brickless is live!

I had a little happy accident. G-Unique case was about 1mm too wide. I ran it under some orbital sander, slipped and messed up his case, sorry. 3D printed another one that covers the sides of the fan, also used the L5 holes for the vent. Printed the bottom lid, but meh, too much work. This will do. The 3d print is 1mm too small everywhere. A lot of post processing to do, and I have problem sanding things flat... Might revise it and reprint it later. or @Lone can make a new enclosure XD in metal.

I need a better 80x10 fan, this one is humming a lot. (GDSTIME Quiet 80mm Fan from Amazon)

Oh ya... ordered some bullet connectors for the power supply. The GX12 plug are mounted inside, lol. Figured out when I solder everything.

The clearance is so satisfying

Wishlist:
- GTX1650 LP (or waiting for ti)
- Noctua NH-L12S with black chromax fans

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Brickless is live!

I had a little happy accident. G-Unique case was about 1mm too wide. I ran it under some orbital sander, slipped and messed up his case, sorry. 3D printed another one that covers the sides of the fan, also used the L5 holes for the vent. Printed the bottom lid, but meh, too much work. This will do. The 3d print is 1mm too small everywhere. A lot of post processing to do, and I have problem sanding things flat... Might revise it and reprint it later. or @Lone can make a new enclosure XD in metal.

I need a better 80x10 fan, this one is humming a lot. (GDSTIME Quiet 80mm Fan from Amazon)

Oh ya... ordered some bullet connectors for the power supply. The GX12 plug are mounted inside, lol. Figured out when I solder everything.

The clearance is so satisfying

Wishlist:
- GTX1650 LP (or waiting for ti)
- Noctua NH-L12S with black chromax fans
That looks awesome! Did G-Unique make both the plug-in unit and the AC-DC unit?

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
I've been playing Doom 2016 on the machine. It's on the default settings, but it's butter smooth.

The noiseblocker blockers are ironically loud. I've ordered some NF-A8 PWM Chromax fans. Does anyone know what screws to use to mount them to the case?

Reactions: August

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
I've been playing Doom 2016 on the machine. It's on the default settings, but it's butter smooth.

The noiseblocker blockers are ironically loud. I've ordered some NF-A8 PWM Chromax fans. Does anyone know what screws to use to mount them to the case?

I use silicone fan mounts, but they do require about 1mm extra clearance. For example:

Last edited:

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Good news. I got the 25mm NF-A8's to fit with the HDPLEX 200W. The fans are very very quiet!

I always have good results with Noctua.

I wonder if the 24pin ATX connector position (relative to the edge) varies from one motherboard to another. That HDPLEX is just 1-2 mm too wide. I wish HDPLEX could figure out how to make it slimmer. Realistically, I will probably have to just make the L5 a little bigger, or decrease the clearance between the fan mount and the front.

It would also be interesting to know how well the HDPLEX stays cool with the outer heatsink removed in the L5.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
I always have good results with Noctua.

I wonder if the 24pin ATX connector position (relative to the edge) varies from one motherboard to another. That HDPLEX is just 1-2 mm too wide. I wish HDPLEX could figure out how to make it slimmer. Realistically, I will probably have to just make the L5 a little bigger, or decrease the clearance between the fan mount and the front.

It would also be interesting to know how well the HDPLEX stays cool with the outer heatsink removed in the L5.

I think with a (slim) fan blowing on the HDPlex with or without a heatsink would be more than enough air to keep it cool. Especially if the other case fan slot is populated by a full thickness fan there should be more than enough airflow.

If you're going to make the case bigger do it to accommodate a Meanwell 200w + LP graphics card :)

Reactions: Dynamite and Lone

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
@Lone - The NF-A8's I've installed don't have the anti-vibration pads on the sides attached to the mount. I've only used the white ones for aesthetics. I also did not use any screw washers like I did with the Noiseblockers. The 24 Pin ATX connector is pretty close to the edge on the Asus X570-I. It was very tight fit, I'm surprised it worked.

You can see the location of the connector in these images.

That said, I'm hoping when HDPLEX does the next plug-in DC-ATX unit, it's not as big. I hoping if they use GaN tech that will fix it. I did buy the Dell brick with the intent of upgrading the plug-in DC-ATX to a more powerful one as they come out.

On an unrelated note Lone, would you ever consider doing a sandwich case with the style of the L5?

Reactions: Lone

Ventorus

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Feb 21, 2017
If you ever did do a sandwich style case, I’d be very interested. Especially with the design aesthetic of the L5, it would be awesome.

staircase

Trash Compacter
Jan 26, 2018
I want the same design language on a bigger case, like the ncase m1 layout (so I can fit my 1080ti) (but that wouldn't be sff anymore) I really love the front mesh and very clean around it.

fleetfeather

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 20, 2017
Any suggestions for a very slim power button to replace the stock one? The stock one's depth is extending too deep into the inside of the case to clear my preferred cooler choice

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Any suggestions for a very slim power button to replace the stock one? The stock one's depth is extending too deep into the inside of the case to clear my preferred cooler choice

The only switches I’ve seen that have a shorter depth are piezo switches. I have one that you can have if you like (doesn't support long press). Which CPU cooler are you wanting to use?

Last edited:

ebc92

Average Stuffer
Mar 4, 2018
Does anyone know if the 160W HDPLEX DC-ATX is able to fit in the L5 while still accomodating 2x 25mm fans?
I know the 200W variant is a challenging fit, but I'm not sure how the 160W variant sizes up against it's bigger brother.