Completed Lone Industries L5 - 4.6L Mini ITX

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
@Lone - I can remove it, and the HDPLEX is currently not installed. Trying to put back in is tricky, but I can with effort get it back in. I'm going to try and install the fans again tomorrow once I've got some shorter screws from B&Q.

There's definitely a technique to this.

Reactions: Lone

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
@Lone - I can remove it, and the HDPLEX is currently not installed. Trying to put back in is tricky, but I can with effort get it back in. I'm going to try and install the fans again tomorrow once I've got some shorter screws from B&Q.

There's definitely a technique to this.

There is some technique as the two tabs on the one side of the fan mount have to line up with the rectangle holes found in the chassis. If it's a tighter fit than normal, then the difficulty of lining these up would increase. I would practice without any fans on first. Try to insert the fan mount as vertical as physically possible. You will be constrained by round permanent PEM nuts on one side, and by the front flange on the other side. Hopefully that makes sense. I will try to provide an illustration once I'm back at work on Monday.

I might have to revisit the design of the fan mount and see if I can make it easier to install, without having to worry about lining up those tabs?

EDIT: Another thing you could try is removing the right side cover/panel before installing/removing the fan mount, to see if it is having any effect on the fitment. I did want the fit to be tighter on this batch than the last, but obviously not too tight.

Last edited:

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
@Lone - Yeah, I had a few goes with it and I think I'm getting the hang of it.

Anyway, I think this may be useful then for a future revision.

(Sorry the images are a bit dark, so I would click into them)

Now the first two images show the areas where the sides of the fan bracket slide across. Now I've noticed it leaves some marks on the side of the case when you try to move the bracket out. If you tried to make the fitment tighter this case batch, that could explain it. Maybe this could be solved if there was some kind of slot rail (I forgot the proper term) that helps to guide the bracket in. As for the marks, don't worry, the bracket covers them up when its in.

Another change I would make would be to make the top lip (where the yellow crayon is pointing to) shorter. If it was just a millimeter or two shorter then it would help with putting the bracket in. Or maybe if the top lip was removable that would further help.

Reactions: Lone

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
@Analogue Blacksheep, thank you for the feedback! I'm pretty sure I can make that flange a little shorter, and I'll see if there's anything else I can do without breaking backwards compatibility if possible. I'll have the fit adjusted slightly also.

Looking forward to the completion of your build! :)

Reactions: Analogue Blacksheep

the1q

Trash Compacter
Jun 3, 2019
Excited to see it!
Mine comes Tuesday, but I'm not sure I'll be using it now..

I've had an issue with my Hackintosh build plans in that the RX 560 Low Profile I have, that I was going to use in the Lone, doesn't ever go below 30% (2800rpm) - sucks..

in Windows I can custom curve it lower, but not on MacOS side sadly (which would be what I would use 100% of the time on a Lone build with it.

Do you have the MSI RX560 low profile? If so did you figure out the fan profile/noise? I was looking at the same card for a hackintosh build as well. If the fan noise is too loud I might try the WX4100 which is pretty much the same card just 5% slower.

Ordered my L5 yesterday. Looking forward to this build.

Reactions: Lone and August

vanbeveren

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 21, 2019
Do you have the MSI RX560 low profile? If so did you figure out the fan profile/noise? I was looking at the same card for a hackintosh build as well. If the fan noise is too loud I might try the WX4100 which is pretty much the same card just 5% slower.

Ordered my L5 yesterday. Looking forward to this build.

I don’t it have anymore no, sorry.

I did find it annoyingly loud because it’s one of those cards that never shuts down or idles.
Depending on where you keep your case relative to your sitting position, your mileage may vary.

I had even looked at getting a passive GPU cooler for it and just working with the airflow coming through the case from the front through the back.

the1q

Trash Compacter
Jun 3, 2019
I don’t it have anymore no, sorry.

I did find it annoyingly loud because it’s one of those cards that never shuts down or idles.
Depending on where you keep your case relative to your sitting position, your mileage may vary.

I had even looked at getting a passive GPU cooler for it and just working with the airflow coming through the case from the front through the back.

I guess I'll just have to give it a shot. I'll try replacing the thermal paste and tweaking the front fan for more intake.
Did you happen to find any passive coolers that would fit? I couldn't find anything helpful in 30 minutes of googling.

Reactions: vanbeveren

August

SFF Lingo Aficionado
SFFn Staff
Silver Supporter
Jun 19, 2019
gusmiller.com
A few more photos, for the heck of it! This case is absolutely gorgeous. I can't get over how clean it looks and the quality of the finishes. Small things like the pressed-in stainless threaded holes for bolts (rather than the cheaper tapped holes) make it a delight to work in. Counter-sunk screws help bring everything into perfect alignment as it goes together.

Having previously mucked about in the DA2, I'm relieved to follow it up with a simple, passive build:
  • 8500T, 35W
  • Gigabyte Z370n Mainboard
  • Alpine 12 Passive CPU cooler
  • 32GB LPX @ 3200MHz
  • 1TB Intel NVMe SSD
  • HDPLEX
  • 2 x Noctua NF-R8 fans, front-intake
  • 130W Dell brick, unsure of model
Still considering a discrete GPU, but at the moment, it's a working Hackintosh with Intel 630 integrated graphics.

Found the power brick at Goodwill bins for 99¢, which spurred the idea for the low-TDP chip! Got a good deal on the mainboard + CPU combo via Craigslist a few days later—Odd combo, but I may use the board for an upgrade to my DA2 (7700K + z270n) if I can find a good deal on another 8th/9th gen chip.

Once I find some time to fix up some of the sleep issues with macOS, I'll be making this my main workstation. My wife and I own/operate a design + web development studio, and we work from home, so my ~2016 MacBook Pro is closed and plugged in 99.9% of the time. ?

Will update with interior photos when it's open next. I got a little thermal pad for the cooler, but it came with compound pre-applied, so I figured I'd just install it and replace the next time it comes apart. Fun coincidence: the Alpine 12 is 90x90mm, which is exactly the LGA1151 keep out zone dimensions, meaning it just kisses the VRM + M.2 heatsinks. ?

Last edited:

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
I know it's not supported, but it appears there is technically room - has anyone tried putting a Meanwell in one of the L5's yet? I just got a (small) raise at work and I feel like I've got $130 burning a hole in my pocket.

Also, Lone would you ever consider a revision with more ventilation on the GPU side? Maybe something twice as long front/back?

vanbeveren

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 21, 2019
I guess I'll just have to give it a shot. I'll try replacing the thermal paste and tweaking the front fan for more intake.
Did you happen to find any passive coolers that would fit? I couldn't find anything helpful in 30 minutes of googling.

I honestly didn't look much

the1q

Trash Compacter
Jun 3, 2019
I’m really tempted by that Alpine passive. I already have a L9i otherwise... I wonder what the noise differences under load will be.

August

SFF Lingo Aficionado
SFFn Staff
Silver Supporter
Jun 19, 2019
gusmiller.com
You certainly have an eye for photography. Beautiful composures!

Kind, but it’s the case + sunlight doing all the work! ☀️

I’m really tempted by that Alpine passive. I already have a L9i otherwise... I wonder what the noise differences under load will be.

Do it! If you're not picky about performance, you can limit the TDP of most chips to fall within the rating of the heatsink—otherwise, if you have even a bit of air moving across it, it sounds like it can easily manage 65W.

I wish I was kidding, but: because the NF-R8 fans are so quiet, the only audible thing about the build is the HDPLEX, presumably the "coil whine" I've managed to dodge until this. ?

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
@August, thank you for sharing your build, and all the great photos!

I would check with HDPLEX on the coil whine. It might be something they are willing to remedy/replace?

FWIW, I've never experienced coil whine on a 12V DC-ATX (probably due to the simple design). I have had AC adapters with some coil whine (including the Meanwell brick I currently use), which is why I like them tucked away on the floor. ?

I know it's not supported, but it appears there is technically room - has anyone tried putting a Meanwell in one of the L5's yet? I just got a (small) raise at work and I feel like I've got $130 burning a hole in my pocket.

Also, Lone would you ever consider a revision with more ventilation on the GPU side? Maybe something twice as long front/back?

I haven't heard of anyone myself.

I have considered making the ventilation larger on the GPU side, but I have also considered removing it entirely. For now, I don't have any plans to change it.

Last edited:
Reactions: August

the1q

Trash Compacter
Jun 3, 2019
@Lone would you consider selling a top cover separately without the GPU and CPU ventilation? I might give it a shot in a setup where the 2x80 fans cooling passive CPU and GPU. I wonder if removing the ventilation holes might actually help a passive build and it would also look better ?

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
@the1q unfortunately, probably not... or it would be more expensive than it's worth. This is due to how my manufacturer does their pricing. A cover without vents would be an entirely new part to them, with its own quantity based price.

You could do some testing by taping off the vents, but I don't believe it would help a passive build. The current vents are so unobtrusive I would be surprised if you still wanted no vents after you see your L5 in person. I could be wrong.