Completed Lone Industries L5 - 4.6L Mini ITX

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Also would the top 2.5 SSD cover the vent above the CPU cooler?

The top (or right side if laying horizontally) 2.5" mounting location does not block the CPU vent. If you plan to mount an internal 2.5" drive at the top, a short flexible SATA cable will go a long way to help maintain your sanity.

xcrco

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 16, 2017
I am using the new thicker heat spreader hdplex's 200w ac-dc combo that can be purchased, available online. the only problem is it doesnt have the original 6 pin to dc converter from the box, which in turn I happen to got it from my hdplex 400w brick instead. if you dont have a 6pin to dc extension I suggest to contact Larry of hdplex.

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
I am using the new thicker heat spreader hdplex's 200w ac-dc combo that can be purchased, available online. the only problem is it doesnt have the original 6 pin to dc converter from the box, which in turn I happen to got it from my hdplex 400w brick instead. if you dont have a 6pin to dc extension I suggest to contact Larry of hdplex.

Are you referring to this or something else? I'm not quite sure I understand. HDPLEX should include everything you need.

Reactions: xcrco

August

SFF Lingo Aficionado
SFFn Staff
Silver Supporter
Jun 19, 2019
gusmiller.com
So it looks like there is better clearance with the HDPLEX 200W DC-ATX when the front/outer heatsink is removed, than there is with the KMPKT/HDPLEX 160W DC-ATX. Here's a image which shows the clearance:

Thanks for inquiring about this. This makes me think the HDPLEX 200W is an excellent fit for the L5. Without a front fan, you would use the front heatsink (or use thinner 80x10-15mm fans). With an 80x25mm fan, you simply remove the heatsink and get a better fit than with the old model! Well done HDPLEX. :)

FYI, here's a photo of the HDPLEX, installed!

The heatsink could have stayed, but the little push-pin that operates the clip on the actual 24-pin had to get pulled out. It's possible it could have popped back around the hub of the fan, but I didn't want to risk it getting stuck back there… also, I realized after this that I hadn't put the screws in to the front fan bracket, so it did actually end up slightly closer than in this photo!

Edit: Couldn't figure out how to publish a self-hosted image, so it's in an Imgur gallery now…

xcrco

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 16, 2017
that is included with the 200w AC board. but the AC-DC brick doesn't include something like that. the 400w AC-DC does come with the female part which I used on my build.

Reactions: Jello and fabio

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018

IT'S HAPPENING! (until I can afford more parts)

@fabio - How do you install 15mm noiseblockers at the front? I noticed in your earlier shots you had some installed. I currently own two.

Edit - This OCuLink connector fits perfectly for anyone interested. Opens the door up to things like U.2s, something SAS related.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lone

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
It's here!

@Lone How do I mount the drive on top?

IT'S HAPPENING! (until I can afford more parts)

@fabio - How do you install 15mm noiseblockers at the front? I noticed in your earlier shots you had some installed. I currently own two.

Edit - This OCuLink connector fits perfectly for anyone interested. Opens the door up to things like U.2s, something SAS related.

Very nice.
If I could see the images. I hate you imgur.

EDIT: What does that green m.2 card do?

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
@Windfall - It's an OCuLink card which is just an alternative to SAS. It's PCIE so say if you wanted to move where the M.2 is or install a U.2 drive you can do so. The connector is much slimmer than SAS so you can use it on the back M.2. It was originally going to be used in my ZS-A4DC build, but the riser cable got in the way.

Edit - Some examples.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
@Windfall - It's an OCuLink card which is just an alternative to SAS. It's PCIE so say if you wanted to move where the M.2 is or install a U.2 drive you can do so. The connector is much slimmer than SAS so you can use it on the back M.2. It was originally going to be used in my ZS-A4DC build, but the riser cable got in the way.

Edit - Some examples.

Very nice, so are you installing a u.2 drive?

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
@Windfall - Depends, as previously mentioned I did want to use a 3.2TB Micron 9300 U.2 in the scrapped ZS-A4DC build but now that I've had some time to familiarise myself with the case I'm considering going with two 2TB M.2's. (Or waiting for a 4TB drive to show up next year).

That said, for the rest of the forum, be my guest if you want to try something similar. The OCulink idea has tons of potential.

Reactions: Windfall

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
@Windfall - Depends, as previously mentioned I did want to use a 3.2TB Micron 9300 U.2 in the scrapped ZS-A4DC build but now that I've had some time to familiarise myself with the case I'm considering going with two 2TB M.2's. (Or waiting for a 4TB drive to show up next year).

That said, for the rest of the forum, be my guest if you want to try something similar. The OCulink idea has tons of potential.

Why stop at 3.2 TB?

• Wow
Reactions: ChinStrap and Lone

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
It's here!

@Lone How do I mount the drive on top?

Yay! Glad it arrived safely.

See image below. You have to remove the other white side cover to gain access to the mounting holes. Note: I don't actually use this spinning disk. :)

Looks like the wiring on the HDPLEX DC-ATX is a little long for the L5. I guess someone could shorten it if they wanted.

Last edited:

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
@Lone - Yeah, it arrived in Scotia Antiqua sooner then expected.

I'm very impressed by the build quality. Much more easier to work with!

Edit - I've just checked, the 9300 Max will not fit in that space. The drive is 1.5cm thick. The space is about 7.5mm. If you want to use one, you need to either drop the fans or go with a single slot GPU.

Last edited:

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
@Lone - Yeah, it arrived in Scotia Antiqua sooner then expected.

I'm very impressed by the build quality. Much more easier to work with!

Edit - I've just checked, the 9300 Max will not fit in that space. The drive is 1.5cm thick. The space is about 7.5mm. If you want to use one, you need to either drop the fans or go with a single slot GPU.

I'm sorry you weren't able to fit your 9300 Max. I have updated my website to make note of the max clearance at that mounting point. If you use a double slot GPU with the fan shroud removed with a front case fan like @fabio, you may be able to mount it at the bottom?

Reactions: Analogue Blacksheep

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
I've been toying around with the case today, I do have one major complaint I have with the L5. Trying to get the fan bracket in and out of the case is a nightmare. I spent a good chunk of tonight trying to get it out and then in again. The tolerances are just a bit too tight. I was a bit worried about damaging the fans.

Apart from that I don't have any other complains about the case.

Is there an easier way to mount the fans?

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
I've been toying around with the case today, I do have one major complaint I have with the L5. Trying to get the fan bracket in and out of the case is a nightmare. I spent a good chunk of tonight trying to get it out and then in again. The tolerances are just a bit too tight. I was a bit worried about damaging the fans.

Apart from that I don't have any other complains about the case.

Is there an easier way to mount the fans?

Are you trying to remove it with the HDPLEX DC-ATX installed? Or is it just that it’s too tight?

I use one thumb on each side to remove it, but with fans it may be more difficult.

Also, I only tilt it until it just clears the flange at the front of the chassis. This applies to installing and removing.

Another option is using silicone fan mounts. Then you can just pull the fans off before removing the fan mount.

If it remains a problem I can always see about sending you a new fan mount.