Completed Lone Industries L5 - 4.6L Mini ITX

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Hi guys,
First post in the forums here and first sff build for me so I apologize in advance for any stupid questions here. I just received my L5 in the mail and am doing the research to find out how to proceed. Here is the list of components I decided to go with:
Asus ROG strix B450-I
M.2 drives front and back for storage as the board is one of the only ones with two slots.
Ryzen 3700x
Noctua L9A cooler.
32 gb Corsair RAM.
For now as a placeholder an NVIDIA GeForce 210.

I am building the computer as a music production machine almost exclusively so graphics horsepower isn’t my main concern. The main issue I am having now is choosing a power supply. I have looked through all the posts in the forum and got some sense of the options. I am aiming for maximum portability so brickless would be great I think. My question is this:

Is the new HD plex 200 watt nano atx combo a good option for the L5 case? If so what would actually be involved in utilizing it? Would it just attach inside the case where the front fans/ssds would normally go? Is it relatively simple or would it involve quite a lot of expert building to pull it off? Any direction for this new builder would be much appreciated!

Welcome to the forum!

Depending on what your future power requirements are, you could possibly go with a slim Dell 130/150W external AC adapter, which would still be quite portable. Just an idea. This is the simplest, fully supported option.

I'm not sure whether the HDPLEX 200W AC-DC is a good option or not. It will technically fit at the front (without the front fans and fan mount), but the HDPLEX 200W DC-ATX would also have to be relocated to the front (next to the 200W AC-DC) using a short 24pin extension cable. You would also have to figure out where to mount the AC power jack, or use a pigtail connector run outside the case.

If you do plan to try to stuff an HDPLEX 200W AC-DC in there, you may want to consider going with the Noctua NH-L12S cooler, and/or put an 80 mm case fan at the bottom (when vertical) mounting location in the case.

EDIT: Another potential fitment issue with the HDPLEX 200W AC-DC is that any GPU cards longer than the motherboard will not fit, unless you shift the HDPLEX 200W AC-DC towards the top/right of the case, and put the DC-ATX in front of the GPU card.

Last edited:

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
The HDPLEX 200W DC-ATX features back mounting holes on the heatsink spaced at 48 mm, which will mount directly to the vent holes at the front of the L5 (July batch with 3.2 mm vent holes). This is untested though, and it might look nicer just using double sided adhesive, than have visible screws on the front of the case.

Last edited:
Reactions: fabio

staircase

Trash Compacter
Jan 26, 2018
both of the 200W psu are not in stock. Does anyone else know where I can buy?
  • Kmpkt Dynamo Mini 200W (16-24V, close fit with 2x 80x25 mm fans)*
  • HDPLEX 200W DC-ATX (16-24V, may not allow using 2x 80x25 mm fans)*

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Please add Silver/Black as an option ?

Hmmm... this is challenging one.

Anodizing is an option, but I would have to charge more for them to cover the added costs.

Sparkle silver powder (glossy) is another option:

Did you sell out of the recent batch already?

I have one L5 in black left. I also have one L5X frame left, but it won't be available until I get more side covers made.

both of the 200W psu are not in stock. Does anyone else know where I can buy?
  • Kmpkt Dynamo Mini 200W (16-24V, close fit with 2x 80x25 mm fans)*
  • HDPLEX 200W DC-ATX (16-24V, may not allow using 2x 80x25 mm fans)*

I recall reading that Larry said the HDPLEX 200W will start shipping at the end of July. I would preorder if you want one?

Last edited:

Metroversal

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 5, 2017
Hmmm... this is challenging one.

Anodizing is an option, but I would have to charge more for them to cover the added costs.

Sparkle silver powder (glossy) is another option

Would love to see a non-brushed finish, I'd gladly pay the extra money. Maybe I'm not the only one ?

(Silver L4 case)

If it's too much of an hassle I'd go with white.

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Would love to see a non-brushed finish, I'd gladly pay the extra money. Maybe I'm not the only one ?

If it's too much of an hassle I'd go with white.

I know I will have white available. I'll send you a PM about the other option.

When would you expect to get the white and black version back in stock?

3-4 weeks.

Dynamite

Trash Compacter
Apr 20, 2018
After having a new set of panels for a few weeks, I finally found time today to make the swap. I originally purchased the Batch 1 silver/black combo (slightly bent, but this was a known issue) and have been really impressed with the case. I was a bit disappointed in the original silver color as I was hoping of something closer to the color of my silver NCase M1, however I loved the thick powder coated finish on the L5! When James launched the second batch of panels in white, I knew I wanted to switch my panels out. I thought I would post a few pictures for everyone to see the difference in finish and hole size between the two batches. As far as the difference in panel quality between the two batches, the minor bend in the first batch never really bothered me, but I do think Batch 2 lines up better along the seam down the side.

The original silver is a satin finish with some reflectivity and an almost industrial aesthetic, but the new white panel is totally matte and looks really beautiful! I think the new mesh pattern looks more restrictive, but I doubt it will make much of a thermal difference. It also hides the internals from view a little better if that's what you're in to. On to the pictures!