Completed Lone Industries L5 - 4.6L Mini ITX

Metroversal

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 5, 2017
By grey do you mean something darker than silver? Charcoal?
Yea, pretty much anything darker than silver: Space grey, Charcoal, Gunmetal grey... I'd be happy with any of these. (I'd love it to color match with my keyboard, mouse and MacBook Pro lol)

If that's not happening anytime soon, I'd opt for silver/black (when available) or white/black.

Analogue Blacksheep

King of Cable Management
Dec 2, 2018
After thinking things through and seeing what this case is possible in this thread, I am now leaning towards this as my prefered option. I plan on using for graphic, photo and video editing. Here is what I have in mind:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700 3.2 GHz 8-Core Processor (£199.98 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC - Alpine Passive Fanless CPU Cooler (£11.98 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX X470-I GAMING Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard (£173.99 @ AWD-IT)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (£139.19 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital - SN750 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (£130.59 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: Western Digital - SN750 2 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (£457.90 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: PNY - Quadro P1000 4 GB Video Card (£368.36 @ CCL Computers)
Case Fan: Noctua - NF-A8 PWM 32.66 CFM 80 mm Fan (£13.91 @ Amazon UK)
Custom: GENUINE Original DELL 240W AC Adapter Charger PA-9E , Complete with UK Mains Power Cable 19.5V 12.3A , Brand NEW Dell P/N : J211H , J938H, With Globe one year warranty (£77.34 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £1587.15
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-18 15:27 BST+0100

This would be powered by a HDPLEX 200W DC-ATX. The wattage of the build is 195W. I should note, I will going with the Noctua 80x15mm fans when they are released to avoid clashing with the HDPLEX.

Although the cooler is rated for 43W, the two fans are basically next to the the cooler so it should get ample airflow.

Last edited:

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
After thinking things through and seeing what this case is possible in this thread, I am now leaning towards this as my prefered option. I plan on using for graphic, photo and video editing. Here is what I have in mind:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700 3.2 GHz 8-Core Processor (£199.98 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC - Alpine Passive Fanless CPU Cooler (£11.98 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX X470-I GAMING Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard (£173.99 @ AWD-IT)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (£139.19 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital - SN750 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (£130.59 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: Western Digital - SN750 2 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (£457.90 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: PNY - Quadro P1000 4 GB Video Card (£368.36 @ CCL Computers)
Custom: GENUINE Original DELL 240W AC Adapter Charger PA-9E , Complete with UK Mains Power Cable 19.5V 12.3A , Brand NEW Dell P/N : J211H , J938H, With Globe one year warranty (£77.34 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £1587.15
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-18 15:27 BST+0100

This would be powered by a HDPLEX 200W DC-ATX. The wattage of the build is 195W. I should note, I will going with the Noctua 80x15mm fans when they are released to avoid clashing with the HDPLEX.

Although the cooler is rated for 43W, the two fans are basically next to the the cooler so it should get ample airflow.

Looks good! I would recommend a different CPU cooler though. I think the Alpine 12 Passive is better suited to lower power builds. The HDPLEX DC-ATX is pretty big, and will partially block the case fan from cooling the Alpine 12 Passive. On the other hand, the Alpine 12 Passive is inexpensive so it's easy to give it a try.

With a better CPU cooler (ie. NH-L9a, NH-L12S, etc), you could easily get away with one case fan in front of your GPU, and have plenty of room for the HDPLEX 200W DC-ATX.

Reactions: vanbeveren

vanbeveren

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 21, 2019
By grey do you mean something darker than silver? Charcoal?

It's a work in progress, but the page is here.

I'm sort of thinking about all black, but is there anywhere to get silver (unpainted) fan grills?
I have this vision of an all black case, but silver grills and after purchase getting silver screws (and silver on the back with GPU plate).

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Yea, pretty much anything darker than silver: Space grey, Charcoal, Gunmetal grey... I'd be happy with any of these. (I'd love it to color match with my keyboard, mouse and MacBook Pro lol)

If that's not happening anytime soon, I'd opt for silver/black (when available) or white/black.

I don't expect that to happen anytime soon, but I will see what my manufacturer has along these lines. Unfortunately, (good) colour options are limited, and I'm further limited by how many colours I can do at one time. The chances my manufacturer has a dark grey that matches anything are slim.

Repainting the side panels is an option I would personally consider. It's possible to get colour matched paint put into a spray can, as an inexpensive option.

Just thinking, would the 60mm Zalman CNPS8900 Quiet be a good fit for the case?

You can ask for an AM4 kit from Zalman if you are running Ryzen.

I don't have any experience with Zalman coolers, but 60mm height should work well. I personally prefer the NH-L12S or NH-L9a since you can easily change the fans.

I'm sort of thinking about all black, but is there anywhere to get silver (unpainted) fan grills?
I have this vision of an all black case, but silver grills and after purchase getting silver screws (and silver on the back with GPU plate).

I think that would look good. Amazon has some silver wire fan grille options.

Reactions: Metroversal

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Finally, the build is starting to shows up!!
I am waiting for a special G-Unique PSU; I think will be ready in 2 weeks, allowing to have the brick inside!!

Meanwhile, I will use an HDPlex 160W (I hope is enough for the config) and an external Dell brick.

Here the specs! (@Lone may I ask if is normal that the back cover is a bit bent when the screws are fastened? Seems to be 1mm longer than needed, but maybe is the MB screwed that put tension?)

Intel 9900K locked and Intel Specs (95W-120W)
Noctua L9x65 (Soon I replace the fan with the 100mm Thermalright, but I think I will swap it for an L12s. BUT, I like the L9 because leave everything easily accessible, so, still don't know with which one I will end ?)
2x16GB UDIMM Innodisk VLP 2666MHz
SuperMicro C9Z390 Itx, with the latest BIOS 1.0c asked to the support center that should fix all the power issue
1x XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB
1x XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB
2x BlackSilent PC-P slim 80mm fans
Nvidia Quadro P1000 Low Profile

Next week I will start to test it! For now, enjoy the pics inside this almost perfect case! (If only there was one more pcie slot to use with a bifurcated riser, that was above perfection!)

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
I am waiting for a special G-Unique PSU; I think will be ready in 2 weeks, allowing to have the brick inside!!

Meanwhile, I will use an HDPlex 160W (I hope is enough for the config) and an external Dell brick.

Here the specs! (@Lone may I ask if is normal that the back cover is a bit bent when the screws are fastened? Seems to be 1mm longer than needed, but maybe is the MB screwed that put tension?)

Noctua L9x65 (Soon I replace the fan with the 100mm Thermalright, but I think I will swap it for an L12s. BUT, I like the L9 because leave everything easily accessible, so, still don't know with which one I will end ?)
SuperMicro C9Z390 Itx, with the latest BIOS 1.0c asked to the support center that should fix all the power issue
1x XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB
1x XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB

Next week I will start to test it! For now, enjoy the pics inside this almost perfect case! (If only there was one more pcie slot to use with a bifurcated riser, that was above perfection!)

I think that’s the slight warping lone was talking about. I’m not sure

vanbeveren

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 21, 2019
mmm..
Yummy

kridius

Cable Smoosher
Dec 30, 2018
I have a couple questions about this case. I'm trying to create a SFF stream pc with 2 PCI cards and was wondering if they would fit in this case.

Here is my parts list:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700 3.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($299.00 @ Canada Computers)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-L9a-AM4 33.84 CFM CPU Cooler ($49.95 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG Strix B450-I Gaming Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($204.50 @ Vuugo)
Memory: ADATA - XPG GAMMIX D10 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($109.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GT 1030 2 GB 2GH LP OC Video Card ($129.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Custom: Elgato HD60 pro (Purchased)
Total: $898.42
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-20 20:33 EDT-0400

Do you have any recommendations on what adapter to use for the cards? I was looking into the era-adapter for m.2 to pcie but I don't know how I would route it.
For the PSU i'm using a 300W G-unique with the GX16 style connector. I was wondering if it could fit through the back of the case without any modding?

It's great to see local canadians here! The case looks really promising!

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com

1x XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB
1x XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB

Nice build! I love the ultra low profile memory. I'm excited to see your test results, and the G-Unique internal PSU.

In response to your question: Since the flanges on the back panel are shorter and don't flex as much as the other side, the only place for it to bend is on the largest most flexible side (if you compare both covers/panels they should be the same height). There is a certain amount of clearance/play built into the panels so they fit over the chassis and allow for variance in manufacturing. If you tighten one flange completely, then any clearance will be shifted to the opposite end.

I would recommend loosening the screws slightly top and bottom until the slight bend is gone. By gently tightening the screws this should also help prevent damaging the powder coat finish.

If you're still unhappy with the fit of the panels let me know.

I have a couple questions about this case. I'm trying to create a SFF stream pc with 2 PCI cards and was wondering if they would fit in this case.

Here is my parts list:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700 3.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($299.00 @ Canada Computers)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-L9a-AM4 33.84 CFM CPU Cooler ($49.95 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG Strix B450-I Gaming Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($204.50 @ Vuugo)
Memory: ADATA - XPG GAMMIX D10 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($109.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GT 1030 2 GB 2GH LP OC Video Card ($129.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Custom: Elgato HD60 pro (Purchased)
Total: $898.42
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-20 20:33 EDT-0400

Do you have any recommendations on what adapter to use for the cards? I was looking into the era-adapter for m.2 to pcie but I don't know how I would route it.
For the PSU i'm using a 300W G-unique with the GX16 style connector. I was wondering if it could fit through the back of the case without any modding?

It's great to see local canadians here! The case looks really promising!

Hey there!

That particular GeForce GT 1030 would occupy both expansion slots. There are single slot options but they would have a fan. If you could find a suitable M.2 to PCI Express cable this appears do-able. One could drill a couple holes (you would also have to drill a countersink for the screw head) in the frame to mount the PCIe adapter PCB using some standoffs (or possibly find some stick on standoffs)?

Last edited:

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Nice build! I love the ultra low profile memory. I'm excited to see your test results, and the G-Unique internal PSU.

In response to your question: Since the flanges on the back panel are shorter and don't flex as much as the other side, the only place for it to bend is on the largest most flexible side (if you compare both covers/panels they should be the same height). There is a certain amount of clearance/play built into the panels so they fit over the chassis and allow for variance in manufacturing. If you tighten one flange completely, then any clearance will be shifted to the opposite end.

I would recommend loosening the screws slightly top and bottom until the slight bend is gone. By gently tightening the screws this should also help prevent damaging the powder coat finish.

If you're still unhappy with the fit of the panels let me know.

Hey there!

That particular GeForce GT 1030 would occupy both expansion slots. There are single slot options but they would have a fan. If you could find a suitable M.2 to PCI Express cable this appears do-able. One could drill a couple holes (you would also have to drill a countersink for the screw head) in the frame to mount the PCIe adapter PCB using some standoffs (or possibly find some stick on standoffs)?
Actually I want to try to use this adapter to have an Optane 905p or a second GPU!

http://www.adt.link/product/R43_STX.html

But still don’t know if I need to plug the power anyway...

kridius

Cable Smoosher
Dec 30, 2018
Hey there!

oh, oops. Yeah i'll look for single slot I thought the one I chose was single slot. because of the motherboard, how would the cable route? Do you do custom things? I live in Calgary so Lethbridge is not too far away from me.

bOcy

Chassis Packer
Mar 24, 2018
I know it isn't your focus, but I'm putting on record I would support if you made a atx size lone case, with gpu placed flat above the pcie slots

Reactions: vanbeveren

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Actually I want to try to use this adapter to have an Optane 905p or a second GPU!

Very interesting. I imagine you're limited to low power devices, but kinda cool regardless.

oh, oops. Yeah i'll look for single slot I thought the one I chose was single slot. because of the motherboard, how would the cable route? Do you do custom things? I live in Calgary so Lethbridge is not too far away from me.

I imagine you'd use an M.2 slot on the backside of the motherboard. I know nothing about this sort of adapter, so I'm not much help. I imagine you'd want to have the motherboard in hand so you could measure how long a cable you'd need.

I don't do any custom work. My manufacturer is located in Calgary. :)

kridius

Cable Smoosher
Dec 30, 2018

Have you used the adt-link before? Do you know if it will work on my use case where it'd be plugged into a capture card or something?

Very interesting. I imagine you're limited to low power devices, but kinda cool regardless.

I imagine you'd use an M.2 slot on the backside of the motherboard. I know nothing about this sort of adapter, so I'm not much help. I imagine you'd want to have the motherboard in hand so you could measure how long a cable you'd need.

I don't do any custom work. My manufacturer is located in Calgary. :)

Oh thats cool! Does the case have enough room in the back for an adapter? I chose the Asus motherboard because it has 2 m.2 ports. One on the front and one on the back. I was thinking about routing it from the front and bringing it down. But if theres room in the backside then that opens up motherboard options for me.

Last edited: