Completed Lone Industries L5 - 4.6L Mini ITX

Metroversal

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 5, 2017
Even if my OCD tells me that the mesh is not really symmetric this black variant makes it less noticeable, so it's definitely better than the silver imho.

Still not a huge fan of the new CPU vent design, it's not bad, but the current design looks much cleaner, I so much wish that we manage to find a solution keeping the original design.

Reactions: Lone

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
I would like to suggest one thing, but maybe is only on my side:
What about to have the 2 Low profile slots VERTICAL placed?
Of course, a riser is needed, (=more expensive) but this gives the option to have also a bifurcated riser to have for example a single slot GPU and a 10gbe Lan or a 2x NVME SSD card, or whatever.
I think the height can be even the same...
Meanwhile, soon I'll post my build!

Reactions: vanbeveren

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
I would like to suggest one thing, but maybe is only on my side:
What about to have the 2 Low profile slots VERTICAL placed?
Of course, a riser is needed, (=more expensive) but this gives the option to have also a bifurcated riser to have for example a single slot GPU and a 10gbe Lan or a 2x NVME SSD card, or whatever.
I think the height can be even the same...
Meanwhile, soon I'll post my build!

I'm not quite sure I understand. Can you provide an image?

Look forward to your build!

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
My manufacturer provided another cluster punch option. This one uses smaller 3.175 mm round holes. It has about 3.7% less free area than the original L5 vent pattern with it's 5 mm holes. It is similar in appearance to the pattern used by Lian Li on the NCASE M1, but this one has less free area (ie. poorer airflow).

Here's the original for comparison:

Last edited:

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
My manufacturer provided another cluster punch option. This one uses smaller 3.175 mm round holes. It has about 3.7% less free area than the original L5 vent pattern with it's 5 mm holes. It is similar in appearance to the pattern used by Lian Li on the NCASE M1, but this one has less free area (ie. poorer airflow).

Here's the original for comparison:

New one looks better and I believe it should still have plenty of airflow.

Metroversal

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 5, 2017
@Lone Looks great! It's a solid YES from me! ?

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
I'm not quite sure I understand. Can you provide an image?

Look forward to your build!
Well, something like this, but I've just realized that will be not compatible with the L12s, maybe with the L9x65?
I was hoping the vertical space used was the same height of a LP GPU! ?

Reactions: Lone

vanbeveren

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 21, 2019
New punch and old punch both look good/fine to me.
Indifferent honestly. I’d do whatever either looks best to you and/or keeps cost lower and airflow best.

My preference is by far for the retro fan grills.

Reactions: WHATT

Dynamite

Trash Compacter
Apr 20, 2018

I think they both look great, so if the newer version solves your QC issues, I say make the change!

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Thanks for the feedback everyone. This may be my only cluster punch option, so I will probably go with this and get an order in sooner than later. I would need to use the same CPU vent for the retro fan grille variation.

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
I've been trying out the Arctic Alpine 12 Passive today. I am using it with an Intel i5-6500 (65W TDP), and two case fans. Conclusion so far is that it cannot handle Prime95. Only using KeyShot in preview mode with all four cores running at 100%, temps hover around 65-67°C.

Just a quick update on the Alpine 12 Passive. I discovered that one of my 80mm fans wasn't plugged in all the way. I've been using KeyShot this morning for long periods of time and CPU temps haven't gone above 57°C 59°C.

Last edited:

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Just a quick update on the Alpine 12 Passive. I discovered that one of my 80mm fans wasn't plugged in all the way. I've been using KeyShot this morning for long periods of time and CPU temps haven't gone above 57°C.
This is an AMAZING news! I was planning to try to use it with the 9900K locked at Intel specs... Let's see! But maybe I am just crazy! Alternative are the L12s or the L9x65 with a 100mm fan!

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
This is an AMAZING news! I was planning to try to use it with the 9900K locked at Intel specs... Let's see! But maybe I am just crazy! Alternative are the L12s or the L9x65 with a 100mm fan!

Another thing to consider is idle temps. My CPU and motherboard appear to be running about 15°C hotter with the Alpine 12 Passive.

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
I expect to have more stock around the second week of June (using the new cluster punch). I will also have five fan grille style cases available (L5X). Available colours will be: black/black, and white/black. Both the white and black colours are a low gloss, fine texture powder coating.

The L5X actually costs me $20 more per case (due to small quantities), but as it does not need or include a separate fan mount part, it helps to bring the overall cost down closer to the regular L5.

vanbeveren

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 21, 2019
I expect to have more stock around the second week of June (using the new cluster punch). I will also have five fan grille style cases available (L5X). Available colours will be: black/black, and white/black. Both the white and black colours are a low gloss, fine texture powder coating.

The L5X actually costs me $20 more per case (due to small quantities), but as it does not need or include a separate fan mount part, it helps to bring the overall cost down closer to the regular L5.

If you get a chance could you just re-post the renders of what will actually be available just so nobody is confused or unclear?