Completed Lone Industries L4

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
New to PC building. I asked about the low profile vs standard GPU a few pages before

Is the 1050ti the highest/best graphic card for now? and 1050ti is not capable to play vr games. am I correct?

edit* I was told that 1050ti is not good enough for VR. Maybe I can still run vr in lowest setting?
Even a 750ti can do VR, but I don't recommend it.

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
It would be nice to get support for a 1U/Flex ATX power supply in the next revision. I am kind of getting sick of the DC board/brick game in my previous L3 builds.

I understand where you're coming from. I've resorted to buying stuff from mini-box.com again, since it's in stock and easy to order. I would even consider stocking DC-ATX and AC adapters in the future.

@Thehack has also requested FlexATX support. If I did, it would probably be an entirely separate model, created at a later date. Since I'm not producing anything right now, no one should get their hopes up. ;)

staircase

Trash Compacter
Jan 26, 2018
Even a 750ti can do VR, but I don't recommend it.

thanks. currently i have a gtx 670. it can run vr, but not really playable with my samsung gear vr.

general tasks/gaming is fine. but would be nice if there is a low profile card that can do vr. maybe the 20series? i must be dreaming,lol.

jaagdijot

Trash Compacter
Jan 29, 2018
I understand where you're coming from. I've resorted to buying stuff from mini-box.com again, since it's in stock and easy to order. I would even consider stocking DC-ATX and AC adapters in the future.

@Thehack has also requested FlexATX support. If I did, it would probably be an entirely separate model, created at a later date. Since I'm not producing anything right now, no one should get their hopes up. ;)

That's wonderful to hear! I would love to buy that variant for the next batch. :)

I am one of the odd ones running an OC'd Ryzen 1700 and WX4100 Pro in my L3. I like to take it with me whenever I go back home from university. It just gets cumbersome with the external brick sometimes.

Legion

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 22, 2017
thanks. currently i have a gtx 670. it can run vr, but not really playable with my samsung gear vr.

general tasks/gaming is fine. but would be nice if there is a low profile card that can do vr. maybe the 20series? i must be dreaming,lol.

It's highly unlikely even "if" we do get a 2050ti in low profile that it will match a GTX 1070 in performance. A GTX 1070 is the recommended minimum for a "good" VR experience.

Sorry for any thread derailment here.

On topic:
@Lone James, You should should put up some of the designs you've had on hold. I for one would be really interested to see the HTPC case you were pondering over. I'm not suggesting you make it, just show it to us please lol.

Last edited:

A415Hz

Trash Compacter
Feb 1, 2017
New to PC building. I asked about the low profile vs standard GPU a few pages before

Is the 1050ti the highest/best graphic card for now? and 1050ti is not capable to play vr games. am I correct?

edit* I was told that 1050ti is not good enough for VR. Maybe I can still run vr in lowest setting?

The reason for VR usually requiring GTX 1060 or higher is because lower FPS would make you sick in VR.
You don't want that, and game companies don't want that happening to players, either.

And I believe 1050ti is still the highest-capable graphics card available in low profile size at the moment.

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Played around with adding front power button, and front USB ports, after seeing a concept by @Necere. I'm not sure about front USB ports as it usually means extra, super long wires.

Without:

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Thanks for the feedback!

For a long time, I've been considering the idea of a removable face plate (like NFC Skyreach 4 Mini). If I did, there would likely be some evidence of the attachment points showing on the front (eg. circles at each corner). I'm also not sure I can get away with only four fasteners holding it in place.

Even if I could create a blind hole on the backside of the face plate to install a fastener, there couldn't be any holes/vents around the fasteners. So you would still end up with padding (ie. no vent cutouts) at the top and bottom of the face plate:

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Thanks for the feedback!

For a long time, I've been considering the idea of a removable face plate (like NFC Skyreach 4 Mini). If I did, there would likely be some evidence of the attachment points showing on the front (eg. circles at each corner). I'm also not sure I can get away with only four fasteners holding it in place.

Even if I could create a blind hole on the backside of the face plate to install a fastener, there couldn't be any holes/vents around the fasteners. So you would still end up with padding (ie. no vent cutouts) at the top and bottom of the face plate:

You might be able to use magnets for attachment, if the front facia is totally cosmetic :) not totally sure if you intended to have it all be steel or aluminum however.

fleetfeather

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 20, 2017
You might be able to use magnets for attachment, if the front facia is totally cosmetic :) not totally sure if you intended to have it all be steel or aluminum however.

Could put recessed/countersunk magnets in the front fascia, potentially with hidden magnets behind the front panel of the chassis (if there's not enough steel)

Reactions: Biowarejak