Completed Lone Industries L4

Stan68

Efficiency Noob
Jan 10, 2017
What case are you referring to for getting those temperatures at idle load? If its a completely sealed box without intake vents then I am not surprised as it will just heat up literally in the same way that an oven would.

But if the CPU is drawing through a vent then I am skeptical.
Antec isk 110, streacom f1c (with fenestrated top) and E-W80 (fenestrated) I'm really just sharing the problems I've encountered with small cases that I've got, I'm not here to argue with anyone, if you get great temps from small cases, I'll appreciate if you can constructively share it with me

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Don't worry, we're a helpful bunch here. :) We just need a little more info so we have all the details. You should see better temps in the L4, or the NFC S4 Mini than any of those cases. As far as I can tell, none of those cases have vents directly above the CPU?

In addition to having vents in the right places, the larger the vent open area, the less restrictive the vent is, which results in more air to the CPU cooler, and thus better cooling.

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
I agree, if your CPU cooler fan is positioned a few mm from an external vent panel, then the idle temps shouldn't be much above what you would see in an open air scenario, maybe within 5-10C.

However if the gap is around 20mm or more then its a completely different story, you will start to get a large amount of heat re-circulation even with a vented panel, I could totally understand those temps @Stan68 if that is what has been happening in your case.

I once tried to build an AMD A8-7600 system in the Akasa Crypto X1 using an this Akasa LP cooler, but the CPU and system temps were just ridiculous, even when idle it gradually warmed up and up until the fan was maxed out. I figured out that it was the distance to the vent above the cooler which was the main factor. The low profile cooler was just re-circulating its own heat rather than pulling cool air in through the vent.

If your case doesn't have a dedicated case fan then the CPU cooler MUST also become the case fan as secondary function. Heat re-circulation is your enemy.

Reactions: ricochet

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
@Stan86 - if you haven't checked this video, give it a look. @Josh | NFC did a cooler round up for the S4 Mini. He purposefully chose a CPU that was way to hot for the chassis to show the Collingwood ability of each. Not the performance inside the S4 Mini vs the open air test bench. Good luck on your quest!

Reactions: K888D

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
@Stan68

I definitely don't want to fite, but I think the weight you put on CPU temps and linking it to performance is not something I have experienced.

Most Intel CPUs start throttling at 103C, and you aren't going to see that number even if you were crazy enough to put a 90W CPU in an S4 MINI and hit the render button in Premiere and wait 2 hours. Kinda like I'm doing now. :D

The L4 is even better as there is tons more room. I'd put a x99 in there and be very happy.

Peace

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
@Stan68

I definitely don't want to fite, but I think the weight you put on CPU temps and linking it to performance is not something I have experienced.

Most Intel CPUs start throttling at 103C, and you aren't going to see that number even if you were crazy enough to put a 90W CPU in an S4 MINI and hit the render button in Premiere and wait 2 hours. Kinda like I'm doing now. :D

The L4 is even better as there is tons more room. I'd put a x99 in there and be very happy.

Peace

Yes. This very true. What matters is thermal headroom based on the chip design. Intel CPU can get very hot. Also, cooling becomes more efficient as delta temp increases. What should use is target temp at dB design. Best target temp would be 80-90C, maximizing cooling and lowering noise.

Here is a nice article showing Josh's stance on it:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Impact-of-Temperature-on-Intel-CPU-Performance-606/

Intel will boost all the way up to its max thermal point.

stefan33

Average Stuffer
Jan 13, 2017
Hello, I discover this fantastic case... But are you going to produce and sell it worldwide?
If yes please when? An the price of it?
Thank you so much to everybody...

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Hello, I discover this fantastic case... But are you going to produce and sell it worldwide?
If yes please when? An the price of it?
Thank you so much to everybody...

Hello. Yes, I plan to ship worldwide. I don't have any final pricing yet, but the low Canadian Dollar should make it one of the most affordable indie projects.

Might work. Since it's designed to mount directly to a heatsink, I'm not sure whether it would be able to be cooled properly in an L4.

Reactions: stefan33

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
I will buy it for sure. But about when you think they will ready for to sell?
Thank you su much.

Sorry, I forgot to answer your question. I'm hoping to be able to take orders by the end of March 2017, and hopefully have limited stock by then.

stefan33

Average Stuffer
Jan 13, 2017
Sorry, I forgot to answer your question. I'm hoping to be able to take orders by the end of March 2017, and hopefully have limited stock by then.

Ok, when it's possible to order it, please tell it to me... (order, pre-order... as you like...). For me, I whould order one now... :-)
Thank you so much...

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Ok, when it's possible to order it, please tell it to me... (order, pre-order... as you like...). For me, I whould order one now... :-)
Thank you so much...

Thank you! If you're subscribed to the mailing list you'll get an email as soon as they're available to order.

Lone

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
Unfortunately, it appears that the L4 will not support both the new HDPLEX 160W DC direct plug, and HDPLEX 160/300W AC-DC internal adapters when used together. The new direct plug converter extends too far from the motherboard. The 80W AC-DC internal adapter does appear to fit.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
As in the cable is too short? Could be very easily rectified with a small 4 pin extender cable for those who want to use that combo.